What to think about Nebraska

Upland4Ever

Things just getting worse. Can say hunted to whole state this year with my father brother and cousins, and yet I feel Nebraska is a fading state for pheasant. And salt in the wound are athletic director has destroy our football program again.

Tell me about it. Hunted all day today in south central NE and saw 1 rooster. Pretty much par for the course this year.

That stinks. Sounds like ne's prairie grouse #s are also in decline. It's not getting any easier to find birds.

if you are hunting nebraska, get back in the car and drive to SD...not that far, you're wasting your time in the Husker state.

The loss of habitat which much was CRP leases has been devastating there in my opinion. I actually know one farmer who plowed his CRP up and now is saying "Not seeing many birds around" like duhhhhhh- habitat equals birds.
The ethanol boom has been a bust for pheasant habitat without question.

its all about money.........just bought regular for 1.91 gal......CRP contracts may well be coming back! corn cheap and laying in the fields in bags....things are a changing...

moved this thread to where it needs to be posted. In the state that the post is about. thank you for posting in the right section. gas is right at 2.oo here in az

Can't wait to see the Ethanol plants close !! There's no way they can even come close competing....maybe we'll see more milo

Not much to think about! It flat out sucks! There is no habitat!

You can burn up dogs, gas, tires, and boots and not see a rooster all day. Nebraska Game and Parks should be embarrassed by the public hunting access they have in Eastern Nebraska.

I will be moving back to SD as soon as I can, also to not pay the stupid state tax, obviously that's not going to any wildlife support either.

you guys are bumming me out. ne has been on my "to-do" list for years. do the sandhills still offer reasonable grouse hunting?

you guys are bumming me out. ne has been on my "to-do" list for years. do the sandhills still offer reasonable grouse hunting?

sounds like you waited too long......i wouldn't waste my time or money on Nebraska......SD and ND are the only game in town.

I don't think much of Nebraska upland hunting these days. I'm a native Nebraskan and used to go back a couple of time each season to hunt. Have not been back there for 3 years now and don't know if/when I'll go back. I do not view NE as an upland hunting destination anymore. Hunting all day and only seeing a handful (or no) of birds is not worth it - I can do that right here at home in Colorado :mad:. In fact there are areas of eastern CO that equal what NE has to offer for pheasant hunting - never thought I'd say that.

Notwithstanding weather events we have no control over, upland hunting in NE has been on a long, downhill slide. Ripping out habitat for the corn ethanol craze has kind of been the final blow to what was once a great tradition and attraction of NE - pheasant hunting. I applaud the efforts of groups like the many Pheasants Forever chapters across the state, but they cannot overcome the habitat destruction that has taken place over the last several decades. The key is the attitude and land use decisions made by private landowners - there are just too many people that give habitat and wildlife a low priority or just flat don't give a damn. They own the land and it is their decision to make, but it's not much of a head-scratcher as to why there are no birds around. :confused:

The irony is that conservation and wildlife-friendly practices do not have to be at odds with profitable farming. This has been shown to be true but it is hard to change old beliefs or ways of doing things. Maybe the upcoming generation of farmers will be better about this - one can hope....

I think you could still find reasonable grouse hunting in the sandhills but I would agree with the recommendation to go to ND, SD or even eastern Montana for good grouse hunting. Plus there is the added bonus of good pheasant hunting that you will no longer find in NE.

Don't give up on your to-do list just go further north.

You know that after 40 years of tramping Nebraska's fields, I do and always think of it as an upland state! One I have had countless adventures, seen spectacular scenery as a backdrop. ( If you disagree , Chimney Rock, Scottsbluff, route #2 in the Sand hills, or any winding twisty farm road off it, Pine ridge, Robinson State Park) . If I were an upland game hunter, I would consider myself incomplete, unless I hunted Nebraska. I am not a native, nor do I work for the Nebraska ad agency, but I have hunted far and wide in the U.S. Nebraska is one of my favorites.

I hope to get back there before too long! Had a good friend who went back to the area where he is from and relatives still own ground and farm and raise cattle. He was deer hunting, but said he kicked up 2 nice covey's of quail and seen some pheasants here and there. He saw this great looking cover out of the wind so he thought there might be a deer holed up. Walked through it and he said he counted 13 roosters come out! They went 5 out of 7 on the deer as well. There is still a glimmer of hope if practices change. I just like the country out there and it brings back some good memories!!

Back