What terrain do you look for?

Hub

So what types of structure/terrain just scream, "There is going to be a pheasant here" to you? One of my favorites is cattle dugouts. If there are willows or other brush around it even better. I've also always had great luck on dry creek beds. Lots of times I use topo maps of my hunting areas to find creeks. I could list tons, but what types of stuff do you look for?

Strips of alder brush surrounding creeks running through fields. When the alders are on a slope, with a field above and a creek running along the base of the alders I am in heaven. I take the dog up top and send a gunner below. Third gunner, if we have one, blocks the end of the cover. When I can find that, I am in heaven...
-Croc

Strips of alder brush surrounding creeks running through fields. When the alders are on a slope, with a field above and a creek running along the base of the alders I am in heaven. I take the dog up top and send a gunner below. Third gunner, if we have one, blocks the end of the cover. When I can find that, I am in heaven...
-Croc

I agree. Water source with some cover and surrounding milo stubble...I'm gettin' a little "birdy" myself

Here in Washington with the farming practices. There is not all that much cover. So what I look for is heavy weeds or bushes close to feed and a source for water. Those are usually pretty productive.---Bob

There are about 3 types of cover that get me foaming. If I can find some fallow range land with a good mix of yucca, sagebrush and little bluesteam there isn't much better. Also, you can't bet a good patch of weeds. I did really good last year hunting sand plum thickets that were packed full of tumbleweeds. The pheasants would hold as long as possible since they had a hard time getting out of the tumbleweeds.

Food source, water, and cover....in various configurations. Water source is more important than one might think!

If these three elements are present and there are birds in that particular area....a spot with these elements will almost always hold some birds.

In very rough weather...shelter belts with food close will hold birds.
In better weather with standing corn present the roosters will almost ALWAYS be out in the corn and therefore very tough to hunt. In this case... last hour of the day when they head to cover to roost can be productive!!

When I'm out just scouting around looking for a new place to hunt. CRP or weedy field on one side of the road, Wheat stubble or cut corn field on the other. Road ditches are bound to hold birds.

Out west in the plains of SD I look for the creeks, stock dams, draws etc.. any structure near a grain field will hold pheasants.

The mix of gravel, cover and corn is hard to beat for producing birds but if I had my choice it would be a food plot consisting of cane that has lodged in middle of Big Bluestem/Switchgrass CRP field on a cold windy day.

I like a creek winding through a section of CRP grasses and weeds, patches of alfalfa and Sweet Clover about chest high and thick. The creek should be lined with Cattails and brush. A large wheat stubble field on one side, a winter cow feeding operation on another with shelter belts. The other side ummm lets see? how about another 640 acre warm season native grass CRP.:thumbsup:

Back