What is the best pair of boots you ever owned for hunting pheasants?

http://www.russellmoccasin.com/120th-anniversary-south-40-bird-shooter/

I don't have the anniversary version but same boots. Chocolate weather tuff leather with green accents, added D rings and not the studs, and a toe cap. I have owned for about 10 years and they look almost new, except for the soles which I am going to have redone this spring.

Custom fit, the owner of the place even measured my foot in person. Every time I put them on they feel better than being barefoot. They are better waterproofed than any goertex boots I have ever owned and they have no goretex. Just proper construction to keep water out. I chose no insulation.

I have hard to fit feet, narrow heal with spurs, hammer toes, wide forefoot, and nearing 67 years of age the archs are breaking down and getting longer. I've been wearing Danner Pronghorns, both the original style and the later one with the toe cover in 12EE. Recently they have been getting short and cramping my toes. I tried on a pair of Danner Sharptails in 13D and gosh they felt good. The moccasin toe gave more room than the same size Pronghorns. Ended up getting them and wearing them around the house and yard for a few weeks before pheasant season. Hunted a day and a half with my feet doing great, wish the rest of my body did as well. Even though I work out sometimes 5 days a week with an emphasis on aerobics, some of that CRP about whipped my butt.
They showed a little wear on the toe from the 10 mile of heavy cover the first day and more the 2nd, so I just applied KG Bootguard. Hope it works as advertised, I really like these boots.

Last edited:
I like danner pronghorn insulated, danner sharptail non insulated. Good boots that are some what reasonably priced.

I love my old browning kangaroo leather upland boots. Gosh-not sure how old they are...been wanting to try orvis's "new version" of the old browning kangaroo leather upland boots-has anyone tried these?

I have no experience on the prairie but my favorite upland boot for the hills and mountains of Pennsylvania is the Schnee Beartooth mid-height. They are more expensive than I would prefer but they are light, durable and supportive. I think they are American made too (not sure though).

Last edited:
Need a score board here! Seems like a lot of well liked boots out there. I had a pair of Danner Pronghorns that I wore for about 10 years,. I painted rubber "tool dip" on the toes so the leather wouldn't wear through the toes. Several years back the wife gave me a new set for Christmas, this verison have capped toe and heel, I thought that would make them last almost forever. I gradually began to wear them, last year I wore them almost every time out and every time this year so far. The biggest problem is the heel supports are broken-up already with the equilvelent of 2 good seasons on them. I see they are redesigned this year, but not sure I want to try them again. If I can get though this season, I will have some time to research them more. Maybe see some feedback on the newly designed Pronghorn.

Just weeks ago, I bought Irish Setter Elk Tracker 885's. A little too early to tell, but so far I REALLY like them. They could very well be the greatest boots ever.

I’m about to buy a pair of these do they run true to size or do I need to order a 1/2 size larger or wider

Thanks

When all is said and done, even out here in western ND I hunt roosters in Muck Boots more than all of my other hunting/hiking/upland boots combined. I don't know if I would classify them as the best, but they are a pretty good average.

When I know for 100% certainty I'm not going to be crossing a shallow river, creek, or mucking through cattail gungaree halfway to my knees, my go-to upland/hunting boots are Irish Setter Vaportreks. Vaportreks are the best boots I've found for all around hunting in western ND. They are super light weight, have a soft but aggressive sole which are great for walking CRP for pheasants, miles of prairie for goats, or climbing even the toughest rocky, cactus filled Badlands buttes & draws to glass for mule deer, and are about as waterproof as lace up boots can be. I found they ran small, I normally wear 10.5 D but had to go 11 D...

Last edited:
Irish Setter Upland Boots...hands down the best I've ever had. Still use them after 10 years in the fields. Trade out insoles every two years. Wash them at the car wash at the end of the season, then saddle soap at home, then rub in mink oil and store them in the closet.

I wear LL Bean Maine Hunting Shoes, 10", uninsulated.

I wear them with 2 pair of wool socks.

They keep my feet dryer and last longer than any leather boot that I have owned.

For a reasonably priced ($200ish?) upland boot. The Danner Pronghorn has treated me well. Comfortable to walk in all day prairie, mostly waterproof. However, I have pretty much switched full time to my Muck Chore boots. It seems like each year, more and more things in the midwest are wet. Lots of times before you know it, you are in an area of water you weren't expecting- and nothing outperforms the Mucks when that happens.

I’m about to buy a pair of these do they run true to size or do I need to order a 1/2 size larger or wider

Thanks

Oy...I don't know. Mine ran true. They seem plenty roomy.
Also, now that I've got a full season on them, I will say the I.S. Elk Tracker 885's are my favorite boots ever. Ultra-comfy. Light. No break-in required. No toe stitching. Good gription but easy on mud pick-up. Easy on/off. Lightly insulated. I seem to go through a pair about every 4-5 seasons, & as of right now, these show no signs that they won't make at least that. The only drawback is that they don't magically make the water less deep.

I have been very satisfied with Danner boots. I have the “sharp tail,” but I’ve been told the Danner Grouse are really good as well. The Sharptails are the cheaper of the two. Mine have around 6 seasons in them, and no loose stitchings. Hope you find something you like, good luck.

http://www.russellmoccasin.com/120th-anniversary-south-40-bird-shooter/

I don't have the anniversary version but same boots. Chocolate weather tuff leather with green accents, added D rings and not the studs, and a toe cap. I have owned for about 10 years and they look almost new, except for the soles which I am going to have redone this spring.

Custom fit, the owner of the place even measured my foot in person. Every time I put them on they feel better than being barefoot. They are better waterproofed than any gortex boots I have ever owned and they have no goretex. Just proper construction to keep water out. I chose no insulation.

Had them resoled and couldn't be happier. Walked 6.47 miles yesterday through grass, mud and some standing water. Feet were dry, comfortable and supported. And after 10-11 years the boots are good as new.

Whoa, those aren't wallet friendly! A few options have them over $700. If a guy could get 10 seasons, probably worth the price. Great review.

This season my wife is going to have a pair of the Russells. Gonna use her as a guinea pig. LOL No, seriously she had to have rods, pins and screws in her foot and her old ones don't fit her. She ended up missing most of season healing up.My favorite is my Danner Canadians. Great when it's real cold. A little heavy but does the job in the cold. My Cabela's kangaroo Irish setters wingshooters USA. The Russells would be a given if it gets her back in the field with me. They said they can work to fit her after her surgery. Can't put a price on your best hunting buddy being out with me and the dogs.

Last edited:
Whoa, those aren't wallet friendly! A few options have them over $700. If a guy could get 10 seasons, probably worth the price. Great review.

10 seasons? I expect mine to last the rest of my life and beyond my hunting years. May have to resole a couple times if I'm lucky enough to live that long (I'm 56). I think I spent about $500, maybe $550 for the Signature Back 40 Bird Shooters. Added some custom accent leather, green up the back and on the collar as well as the boar hide toe cap. I figure the toe cap itself should add 10 years to the boots before I ever need to send them back to be redone.

Keep them clean, oiled up and they still look new. And they are a pair of boots that when I slide them on they make me say "Ahhhh". I have a couple pairs of shoes like that too. They fit just right.

Back