What happened to

moellermd

Super Moderator
Federal Pheasants Forever loads at Walmart. Used to get them for $13.

I looked before the season and did not find any. Kept an eye open all season and they never got any in here in Manhattan Kansas. My guess is that they quit carrying them. I need to ask next time I go in.

They want you to buy that prairie storm now.

The walmart in Mitchell SD had tons of them and priced at 13.49 a box, before opening weekend. I haven't been back in to see if they had any left. And I paid 16.99 a box at the shot show in vegas and that's with ordering 50 cases, won't make that mistake again!!!!

Ok I will bite, what are some cheaper shells that are better in your opinion?

Blain's Farm & Fleet has Remington 12ga Pheasant Loads 2 3/4 inch 3 3/4 dr 1 1/4oz in 4,5,6 shot for $ 10 something.. A Classic & priced right.
On Shotgun World web site B & P MP Longrange 12ga 1 1/4oz Nickel plated for $ 142 a case. This is Field & Streams best shell of year a couple years ago.

I quit shooting the Federal's when I spent more time cleaning the gun than shooting it.

I quit shooting the Federal's when I spent more time cleaning the gun than shooting it.

x1 for me as well!!! Also found some of the wads with pellets still in them!!:cheers:

david0311

Blain's Farm & Fleet has Remington 12ga Pheasant Loads 2 3/4 inch 3 3/4 dr 1 1/4oz in 4,5,6 shot for $ 10 something.. A Classic & priced right.
On Shotgun World web site B & P MP Longrange 12ga 1 1/4oz Nickel plated for $ 142 a case. This is Field & Streams best shell of year a couple years ago.

Agree B&P excellent load use in 12 and 28 with excellent results--have not used the 20's due to over stock of 20 gauge federal premiums--but will when those are gone--

Remington pheasant loads made to price point and a poor shell-- imo- -no where near the shell as B&P and other premium loads JMO :cheers:

Remington pheasant loads made to price point and a poor shell-- imo- -no where near the shell as B&P and other premium loads JMO :cheers:[/QUOTE]

Remington Pheasant Loads are a good shell just not there premium line, Just FYI I went 15 straight with this shell last fall before I missed and never lost a bird as a cripple & this was hunting without a dog I would say they were working.

You are compairing oranges to apples. Remington Nitro Pheasant Shell Copper Plated is every bit as good as B & P
Remington makes three grades of Pheasant Shell's
Remington Pheasant Load's, $ 10 a box Loaded with Chilled Shot
Remington Express Load's. $ 14 a box. Loaded with Hard Shot
Remington Nitro Pheasant. & 18 a box Copper Platted Shot

I buy all three grades of shell's from Remington for hunting Pheasant's I will also tell you for 20+ years all I liked was Winchester Shotgun Shell' & shot them exclusively but when Winchester redesigned there AA Trap shell & Remington came out with there STS hull I switched because it reloaded better for Trap & Skeet.
I don't know why but Winchester Quality went down hill then & Remington's went up, when shopping for shell's open up a box and look at them you can see the difference between them Remington has a Quality hull & perfect crimp you can't say this with some Winchesters today or other Brands as well.
I buy one Winchester & it is for my 28ga a 1oz load. if Remington made a 1oz load in 28ga I would buy them. If I could find a box of B & P 28ga 1 1/16oz load I would like to try them.
Federal has always made Excelent .22LR shell's & Handgun ammo & Rifle but there Shotgun shells have never worked for me.
Buy my screen name you can tell I shoot a 1100. I don't know why but when shooting Federal Shotgun Shell's I have malfunctions and I don't know why but they just do not cycle in my gun every time so I avoid them.

david0311

Remington pheasant loads made to price point and a poor shell-- imo- -no where near the shell as B&P and other premium loads JMO :cheers:

Remington Pheasant Loads are a good shell just not there premium line, Just FYI I went 15 straight with this shell last fall before I missed and never lost a bird as a cripple & this was hunting without a dog I would say they were working.

You are compairing oranges to apples. Remington Nitro Pheasant Shell Copper Plated is every bit as good as B & P
Remington makes three grades of Pheasant Shell's
Remington Pheasant Load's, $ 10 a box Loaded with Chilled Shot
Remington Express Load's. $ 14 a box. Loaded with Hard Shot
Remington Nitro Pheasant. & 18 a box Copper Platted Shot

I buy all three grades of shell's from Remington for hunting Pheasant's I will also tell you for 20+ years all I liked was Winchester Shotgun Shell' & shot them exclusively but when Winchester redesigned there AA Trap shell & Remington came out with there STS hull I switched because it reloaded better for Trap & Skeet.
I don't know why but Winchester Quality went down hill then & Remington's went up, when shopping for shell's open up a box and look at them you can see the difference between them Remington has a Quality hull & perfect crimp you can't say this with some Winchesters today or other Brands as well.
I buy one Winchester & it is for my 28ga a 1oz load. if Remington made a 1oz load in 28ga I would buy them. If I could find a box of B & P 28ga 1 1/16oz load I would like to try them.
Federal has always made Excelent .22LR shell's & Handgun ammo & Rifle but there Shotgun shells have never worked for me.
Buy my screen name you can tell I shoot a 1100. I don't know why but when shooting Federal Shotgun Shell's I have malfunctions and I don't know why but they just do not cycle in my gun every time so I avoid them.[/QUOTE]

Who's comparing apples to oranges??

Your post compared B&P shells to the Remington Pheasant load a price point shell--NOT--their better quality loads--please stay on track--

Have used the B&P 1 1/6 load good shell --not always available-- buy a case when they are--

What does opening a box of shells tell you anything besides the crimp--ie: powder -hardness of shot-wad quality ect??

The answer to your last sentence of you last paragraph is in the first:rolleyes:

15 birds straight--with out a cripple--with out a dog--wild?--flying? Just think how great it would have been with a dog? There was a nice one available here for free a short time ago--
--OH!!--almost forgot you did have a opinion on that as well :rolleyes:

Why do you feel it important to bring up the past? Paraphrased it read: my dog bit me, I don't want to risk it, so I'm getting rid of it. My gut too said put it down. Maybe I changed my mind, so what, unimportant. Doesn't change what I initially thought.
Why don't we get back to talking about shells?:confused:

Who's comparing apples to oranges?? For david0311
Your post compared B&P shells to the Remington Pheasant load a price point shell--NOT--their better quality loads--please stay on track--

I was just listing two shell's as a alternative to Federal Pheasant Forever.

Have used the B&P 1 1/6 load good shell --not always available-- buy a case when they are--

I would like to try a box before committing to a case.

What does opening a box of shells tell you anything besides the crimp--ie: powder -hardness of shot-wad quality ect??

If it has no appearance of quality on the outside why would you trust it to be on the inside ? Just FYI I carry a list on my phone of best to worst shot do you ?

The answer to your last sentence of you last paragraph is in the first

You lost me as I have no clue what you are inferring.

15 birds straight--with out a cripple--with out a dog--wild?--flying? Just think how great it would have been with a dog?

A limit is a limit yes all wild & flying this year, even had a triple this year yes it was Great & just FYI I lost my GSP a 1 1/2 ago.

There was a nice one available here for free a short time ago--
--OH!!--almost forgot you did have a opinion on that as well :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry I put Children above Dogs. That's just Me. Yes I will replace my GSP with another someday when I'm not traveling so much for work. If it ever bites someone it's done.

Buy what you like for Shotgun Shell's as most will work iin shot size is 4,5,or 6 shot.
I use Remington because I like them and they are a quality product period.

I have used the Federal shells, 5s, 1 1/4 oz of copper plated lead, for most of the last two years with good results. With the dog, I have not lost a bird yet. I have 14 boxes left and they will last a while.
Two years ago I bought a case of the BP Long range 5s, nickle plated lead. They also work well (seem to hold a real tight pattern) and knock down birds. I have 9 boxes left. I prefer the Federal for spooky birds (I guess I fell for the speed kills hype), but half of the birds this year were shot with steel 4s as I hunted a lot of public wetland areas. I did shoot a pheasant with BP 7 1/2s at about 25 yards. I had changed loads when we found quail and then we pointed the rooster.
As a kid, we shot what was cheap, normally in 4's and did fine. I have a lot of confidence in the Federal shells and the price is great.

Thrasher...thanks for the redirect to the OP.

Gentlemen: Let's keep it on topic and move on.

Local shopko was selling out Remington pheasant 2 3/4 for $3.53 a box I bought over 3 case. Nitros were 5.99 so that's another case. I can not reload for that, so. I am happy.

Local shopko was selling out Remington pheasant 2 3/4 for $3.53 a box I bought over 3 case. Nitros were 5.99 so that's another case. I can not reload for that, so. I am happy.

I like shooting the nitro's and for $5.99 a box, I would have had a heart attack if I found that deal. Very lucky. Good shells have become hard to find around here on the shelves. The high end Winchester pheasant loads have performed well for me also.

Back