What gun is the best all around gun

Timwald144

I was wondering what gun you all thought was the best gun to use on the upland side and the water side of bird hunting

Last edited:
I was wondering what gun you all thought was the best gun to use on the upland side and the water side of bird hunting

Tim, I traded in my 12 and 10 gauges a long time ago and the only gun I have ever shot is the 3.5" Benelli SBE. Liked it so much I traded in my heavy BAR 7MM for the nice light Benelli R-1 30-06 rifle. That's all a guy needs to shoot a whole lot of critters.

That's almost impossible to answer as everyone will have their own personal favorites. I will say that for dependability you will probably do best with one of the better known brands (Browning, Beretta, Benelli etc..). Upland or waterfowl models included. They are going to be the more expensive, but garner the best dependability as well. Waterfowl guns are generally heavier and upland guns lighter so you be the judge what is best for you for double duty.

Of course all this doesn't mean that brands other than these are not dependable just that the aforementioned brands see much more use overall from the general public. As an example the Beretta A390 and now the A391 Urika have been the most popular Autoloaders in the Sporting Clays world for many years. Beretta learned alot about those guns in the early days from the 10's of thousands of rounds that were being put on them in competition. After learning of some shortcomings, they built them better and stronger with less maintenance required.

What it all boils down to is to find one that you can afford that reasonably fits you well. But first you must decide on what type of action you want, then look into the different manufacturers choices. If you can arrange it go shoot some of the different brands/models.

Last edited:
My Opinion on All Round Gun

I would say a 12 ga. over and under with screw in chokes. With cylinder to extra full/turkey chokes you can effectively go after quail, grouse, partridge, pheasant, waterfowl, and turkey. You can have a more open choke for your first shot, a light load even, and then a tighter choke for the second shot.

Timwald144,

As others have stated this is a matter of personal preference. The best gun is the one that fits you and the one you can knock down birds with. I shop around alot before I purchase my guns. Shouldered all I could get my hands on. You'll know when one just feels right, natural. :)

12 or maybe 20 gauge auto that feels good in your hands. A pump is just as good in the hands of somebody who is good with one which most aren't.

I would have to second the 12ga. as the best selection for mixed use. I shoot a Winchester SX3 26" Barrrel chambered in 3.5" and love it, it handles light loads for dove and quail but handles heavy turkey and geese loads as well. It is a personal preference just like everyone has stated. If you have buddies that have a "mix" of shotguns, try to get them together and shoot them to help you get a feel so you can make your own decision. If you listen to some of these good ole' boys on this site you're going to end up owning one of each brand..... :D Good Luck

Shotgun

I wish I could have all the makes of guns:) but with two girls thats about impossible to do. I will have to ask around and start going to multiple gun stores to hold them and see which one best fits me. I will stay with a 12G for sure I just feel like having that extra in there is better for me,.

my 870 has never let me down. use it for every thing. amazing how much dirt and stalks you can get in action and still use it.

This question absolutely boils down to personal preference. No right or wrong answer. However, if I was limited to one shotgun to hunt upland and waterfowl with it would be difficult to beat a Remington 870 for overall use and dependability. And I don't even own one currently, but I have owned several in the past. Heck I don't even own a pump shotgun right now. But for the money, versatility and dependability an 870 is a great choice.

I'm very fond of O/U's, particularly in 20-ga. Best answer I can offer is the one that appeals to you, fits you, and that you have confidence in. After O/U's, I opt for Benelli semi autos (SBE 12 for geese, ducks, turkey), Montefeltro 20 for everything else when I have to shoot steel shot or just feel like carrying a very light shotgun. Hard to beat a good pump gun, but I've used O'U's and semi autos so long that I turn a pump into a single-shot because I forget to cycle the thing.

As all have stated it is all a matter of personal peference. One thing to consider is weight of gun and recoil as you get older. I have a Browning 12ga. Sporting Hunter that I love dearly however I cannot carry it all day long. It is just too heavy the older I get. Therefore I opt'd to purchase a Benelli Cordoba 12ga. that is lighter and ported..less recoil. Not a cheap gun but worth every penny.

Recently I sent it to Briley for some special modification to reduce recoil further, better pattern, etc. (Heck, I had to put my glasses on to get the proper spelling of Briley..lol)

I am not the type of guy to have a gun safe full of guns just a few very good quality guns that work for me. Most likely will not purchase another new shotgun in my life.

I like that Beretta 391.

What is the going cost of them used and new? What size barrel are you all using for your guns choke size also

I like that Beretta 391.

What is the going cost of them used and new? What size barrel are you all using for your guns choke size also

I've been looking for a buddy of mine a standard field version, real walnut (not their painted on walnut finish). Selling prices on gunbroker seem to be about $700-$800 for used ones.

Another friend just bought a new one with the painted on walnut finish, and I think it was $1200.

I favor 26" tubes on my Upland guns; they don't swing as efficiently & you have to program yourself to follow-through, but I like the looks & handling. Choke depends on how the birds are holding . . . in double guns I start with IC & Mod, then adjust accordingly from there. With single-barrels, I start with IC & adjust as needed (the beauty of choke tubes!). I use IC & Full almost exclusively in my 28-gauge.

I don't take any shotgun out of the safe except for my Beretta 686 O/U 20ga.

I kill pheasants, quail, ducks, geese, grouse, an occassional rabbit and now even a coyote.

If you are a decent shot I don't understand the need for a 12ga. A 20 will kill as far out, is far lighter with ammo and easier to shoulder and aim IMO.

My Beretta has been the gun of choice for 14 years now and has never had even one hiccup. It has always performed flawlessly and only requires a minimum of maintanence - clean the barrels, a quick wipe down, a rare spritz of oil and that's it.

It's also very light and easy to lug around all day. I do a lot of quail hunting in Indiana and pheasant hunting too in IN/IL and we walk from dawn 'til dusk and light weight is a key element.

I agree Murph, the only I can add to your very fine post is practice, practice and more practice. The better you know your shotgun the better shot you will be........Bob

I agree Murph, the only I can add to your very fine post is practice, practice and more practice. The better you know your shotgun the better shot you will be........Bob

And you know what, if you only hunt with one gun the hunter is bound to be a better shot with it than he would be changing guns with ever excursion. I have friends who are gun nutts that have a gun for every occassion, a choke for ever condition and invariably they miss more than anyone or worse, wound game.

I've gotten so comfortable with my little 20 that my partners are amazed at how far out I can kill things dead when I have a good shot. I had a 44 yard dropped dead pheasant in SD this fall and one at almost the same distance in IL on Sat. 20ga with 5 shot is the magic elixir for cackle birds I've found. 4 shot is too big and damages the meat too much for me and 6 shot just doesn't seem to have the same knockdown power.

I'm sure 12ga and 16ga have similar shot sizes that work best for certain game. I use 8 or even 9 shot for quail and 4 shot for ducks. Lots of testing and lots of shooting over the years to figure that all out.

I don't vary my chokes either. Mod for first shot and full for second.

I carry a BPS 100% of the time and just change the barrel depending on what I'm going after and what time of season it is. Probably won't ever change...

Back