What do you feed your Hunting Dog

i've fed Purina One year round and my dogs have thrived on it. moreover, it can be found at any Walmart and most grocery stores and supermarkets.

I have fed Black Gold in the black bag for over a decade and get along well with it. I fed PP until I got my 5th dog. Spent some time on Kasco after that until it went away.

Been feeding my red and white setter sport dog food, specifically their tracking dog formula. They are a smaller company but high quality. I found them thru dogfoodadvisor . com.

I feed Pro Plan 30/20 2.5 cups for a 57 lb female and 4 cups for a young 65 lb male. Personally I like Eukanuba better and find I get better coats with it but with another price increase from Chewy's I switched back to pro plan. Feed Euk for many many years.
What kind of dogs? Labs?

once you feed your dogs a raw meat and bone diet, youll never go back to cooked kibble, and id bet your dogs would turn up their nose, nothing better imo

I've been feeding my dog Pro Plan Sport for the majority of his life and just ran into some serious sticker shock. Price went up to $75.49 for a 47lb bag, nothing like paying more for less. I grabbed a bag of their high protein dog chow ($28 for 48lbs) and until I figure where to go next I will just mix in raw eggs as needed. My dog isn't picky and does well on any food I've tried, except diamond (his hair started falling out). Looks like purina is putting the bulk of their production cost increases on their premium foods, better than jacking up the prices of their lower priced foods for those that can't afford it though. Or I could turn him loose in there...20220401_144312.jpg

It's not just Purina, it's all the dog food companies. Prices are going up on everything with the inflation that we currently have. If you just have the one dog I'd continue to feed the PPP Sport. That bag has to last him a couple months. The hi-pro dog chow is cheap but also has more filler than PP. You can get by feeding less of the PP and also have less to clean up. When you consider the overall cost of owning a hunting dog the food isn't that big of deal. I wouldn't skimp on the food, especially since he's been doing well on PP.

I've come up with a solution. Menards sells pro plan and regularly offers 11% rebates on everything in the store. I'll just dedicate my current rebates and buy when they are doing their 11% deal. Its like they're paying me to buy dog food, right? Well, thats what I'll be telling myself.

I've been feeding my dog Pro Plan Sport for the majority of his life and just ran into some serious sticker shock. Price went up to $75.49 for a 47lb bag, nothing like paying more for less. I grabbed a bag of their high protein dog chow ($28 for 48lbs) and until I figure where to go next I will just mix in raw eggs as needed. My dog isn't picky and does well on any food I've tried, except diamond (his hair started falling out). Looks like purina is putting the bulk of their production cost increases on their premium foods, better than jacking up the prices of their lower priced foods for those that can't afford it though. Or I could turn him loose in there...View attachment 3170
I wasn't aware that they made a 47 lb bag. I thought it was only a 37.5 or a 50.

I wasn't aware that they made a 47 lb bag. I thought it was only a 37.5 or a 50.
I was on their website and 50lbs was still listed but when I clicked the buy now link the bag was 48lbs (chicken and rice). Looks like purina is rebranding, spend lots of money to say 'look at the new us! We're the same but in more aesthetically appealing packaging' same product and the price certainly won't decrease. I've been at four companies that have rebranded (all were very successful, with large market shares) and the process is heavy on graphic design and lacks meaningful changes to loyal customers. New packaging, new pricing, why not new bag weights? The last several bags I bought smelled awful, dog didn't seem to mind, but still unsettling.

I was on their website and 50lbs was still listed but when I clicked the buy now link the bag was 48lbs (chicken and rice). Looks like purina is rebranding, spend lots of money to say 'look at the new us! We're the same but in more aesthetically appealing packaging' same product and the price certainly won't decrease. I've been at four companies that have rebranded (all were very successful, with large market shares) and the process is heavy on graphic design and lacks meaningful changes to loyal customers. New packaging, new pricing, why not new bag weights? The last several bags I bought smelled awful, dog didn't seem to mind, but still unsettling.
I don't think they are rebranding, they just did that last spring. Last spring is when the packaging changed. Looks like they are shrinking the 50 lb bag down to 48 lbs. Same thing all the other companies are doing.

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has revealed that 30 people per year lose their lives as a result of eating raw eggs contaminated with salmonella bacteria. Research has found that the body only absorbs 51% of the protein contained in eggs when eaten raw , meaning that cooked eggs are a much better option. YMMV.

Back