What are you doing to get ready for the upcoming season?

Glock

What are you doing to get ready for the upcoming season? So far I’ve purchased a new pair of boots and working on getting them broken in. Started to review the ammo supply. Shopping for a different over/under because…… well because. Added another black lab to the pack last spring as one can never have too many hunting companions. This little fire breather will not only be a great hunting partner but should be a fun one to run derbies after the hunting season ends.
So what are you doing to get ready for the season?

Mostly doing a lot of research on campgrounds, shooting a lot of trap and working the dog.

I'm coming from Utah and bringing the trailer this time. My window is from opening day until Saturday, Nov 4th when I have to leave for an Idaho Elk hunt. Thinking I'll spend the last couple of days in the Lemmon area since 1, never been there and 2, it puts me an easy 2 day cruise to where I'm going in Idaho.

Everything in between is wide open and not really sure where I'll end up. Maybe the general Huron area for a bit then west of Watertown before heading to Lemmon.

It's still a ways off but my dog keeps asking me when we are leaving!

Me and my hunting buddy have officially started the count down! Dogs are getting some basic work to keep them sharp and been shooting some sporting clays and plan to pick up the frequency over the next 4 months. Have 4000 or so prepaid targets so only cost is the shells. Can really tell the difference in years Ive shot a lot of clays compared to not so many. Kill rates and shots needed per kill goes way down with practice. Last year for the two of us we averaged under 7 roosters flushed in range to get our 6. Way better than some years for sure. Going to shoot tomorrow afternoon with a couple of friends. One of which is a master class sporting clays competitor. Always pick up a thing or two from him while spending a few hours busting clays.

Trying to find some birdy places to hunt in Dakota and here in KS. My permissions in KS have become almost worthless due to the disappearance of birds. My normal exercise routines keep me field-ready to the extent possible for this senior hunter. Wondering how one knee will do afield. Being careful with it. The dog is always ready, no prep required.

Mostly doing a lot of research on campgrounds, shooting a lot of trap and working the dog.

I'm coming from Utah and bringing the trailer this time. My window is from opening day until Saturday, Nov 4th when I have to leave for an Idaho Elk hunt. Thinking I'll spend the last couple of days in the Lemmon area since 1, never been there and 2, it puts me an easy 2 day cruise to where I'm going in Idaho.

Everything in between is wide open and not really sure where I'll end up. Maybe the general Huron area for a bit then west of Watertown before heading to Lemmon.

It's still a ways off but my dog keeps asking me when we are leaving!
What brand of trailer?

I was shooting clays regularly here at home, but the corn is over head high now right where I throw so I'm waiting for harvest. At 70 years old I need to work to be ready. 5 days a week at the gym on several of the weight machines and then alternate days 30 minutes on the treadmill or 20 on the eliptical. Once home I'll hike up and down the hill for around 3-4 miles. Getting too hot for that, come on cooler weather.

I was shooting clays regularly here at home, but the corn is over head high now right where I throw so I'm waiting for harvest. At 70 years old I need to work to be ready. 5 days a week at the gym on several of the weight machines and then alternate days 30 minutes on the treadmill or 20 on the eliptical. Once home I'll hike up and down the hill for around 3-4 miles. Getting too hot for that, come on cooler weather.
Ole, You have inspired me to get going. I am 70 also.

Trying to shoot three rounds of skeet a week. Been a lot of fun. Always look forward to the day we shoot.

that's an impressive workout routine

Going on 70 myself, I walk the dogs about 2 - 2.5 miles a day. Been shooting clay's out by my son in laws family farm, bought a Whirlybird 2 a couple months ago to keep in practice. Had the grand-kids out yesterday with it. Getting my grand daughter shooting so she can join us this year, she's been looking forward to it.

I'm 79. Kids gave me a Whirlybird for fathers day 'cause the dog told them my shooting is not what he expects :) I train the dog regularly with Pheasant wings and frozen whole birds. I live 45 minutes from 10,000 feet and we go up there regularly to hike and keep our lungs working.

Birdman, I wish the Nash was just a little bit bigger but it serves us well. It'll be interesting to see how it all works on a long hunting trip.

Going to bust a few clays when it isn’t 104 outside! Been walking 4-5 miles every morning with the dogs. Once it cools down a bit, I’ll staunch em up a little in the field. Honestly, ready to go and counting down.

I live 45 minutes from 10,000 feet and we go up there regularly to hike and keep our lungs working.

Wow, makes my workout seem easy. I live at 850 ft and the neighboring hill I hike peaks at 1015.

I'm 79. Kids gave me a Whirlybird for fathers day 'cause the dog told them my shooting is not what he expects :) I train the dog regularly with Pheasant wings and frozen whole birds. I live 45 minutes from 10,000 feet and we go up there regularly to hike and keep our lungs working.

Birdman, I wish the Nash was just a little bit bigger but it serves us well. It'll be interesting to see how it all works on a long hunting. What is your location that is close to 10,000 feet?

Back