What an August!

UGUIDE

Recently bopping around with my farmer neighbor and we are checking rain gauges and he says before you dump that out you gotta do something. I say "What's that?" He says "you thank the Lord up above".

And so that's my newest best habitat practice.

The rain and temps we have had this August are like none that I can remember. Everything is super green and super lush. The ground water sources are not recharged yet but the topsoil is set for growth.

Seein birds, seein bugs, seein deer

Unlike the fall drought conditions of 2012 this weather will help insure next years critters have some good cover.

Recently bopping around with my farmer neighbor and we are checking rain gauges and he says before you dump that out you gotta do something. I say "What's that?" He says "you thank the Lord up above".

And so that's my newest best habitat practice.

The rain and temps we have had this August are like none that I can remember. Everything is super green and super lush. The ground water sources are not recharged yet but the topsoil is set for growth.

Seein birds, seein bugs, seein deer

Unlike the fall drought conditions of 2012 this weather will help insure next years critters have some good cover.

That's a great habitat practice, UGOD...I like it!

The blessings keep coming.. Just got drenched looks like. Hail reports but not sure where (maybe Geddes or west). Places like Dewey county would be lucky to see 4-8" of rain all summer and got that in last week. Looks like most intense was Corsica, Armour, Delmont.

S.D weekend report

Here is my report for S.D. Attended a wedding in Pierre, spent a fair amount of time North and East of town (Onida Agar). The drought is the real deal in the area, Dead wheat fields from spraying, everything that can be hayed is, really short, ugly sunflowers and terrible corn, only saw a handful of pheasants during prime time of morning. My rancher/farmer friends said that they have received some rain recently, but it is way to late to save most stuff including the mighty pheasant. We will still hunt out there this season, but it will be for the fellowship and not the # of birds harvested. Not sure how the remainder of the state is fairing, but it is bad in this region.

There was a line of hail that went from Stickney east all the way to Parker today. Not good. Saw some as big as baseballs.

The hail maps are out there but still not accessible enough to tell much other than go look at the corn fields in areas you are concerned about because that will show impact the best.

Looks like a line from Pierre all the Was to Sioux Falls had some reports.

The report is in on my ground. My food plots were 7 ft tall and now they are 3 ft. The Hail completely wiped out the crops/cover on my ground. The intermediate grass planted next to my cedar trees looked like it had been mowed. Sorry to say but with 2 hail storms and the drought conditions during the peak nesting time, i think we will be lucky to have 20% of the birds we had last year.... Rough year on my friend who farms!

The report is in on my ground. My food plots were 7 ft tall and now they are 3 ft. The Hail completely wiped out the crops/cover on my ground. The intermediate grass planted next to my cedar trees looked like it had been mowed. Sorry to say but with 2 hail storms and the drought conditions during the peak nesting time, i think we will be lucky to have 20% of the birds we had last year.... Rough year on my friend who farms!

Drake sorry to hear that. Hail sucks. Location?

sorry....pm me for my contact info...maybe you can come up and hunt with me a time or two this fall...I am within 60 or 80 miles of you, I would think...where do you reside?

I have never asked them. They were a lot shorter than the alfalfa.

I clipped my alfalfa firebreaks this summer. I think a good maintenance activity and birds utilize the heck out of it. Did 1/2 late July and other side a couple weeks later. 54 acres of breaks. I'll clip once more this fall and rake around the fields to be burned next spring. I remember planting these in drought of fall 2012. BAD timing!

Back