what a way to end it

dogman

Its 20 degrees out light snow & a northeast wind blowing. I just got in from spending a couple of hours in the country. Not pheasant hunting but rooster shooting. All you had to do was look for the heaviest thickest cover & there would be pheasants sitting in it. Two of us got our limits in nothing flat. Contrary to what anyone may have heard there are pheasants around Liberal.

Nice job Dogman! As you say"what a way to end it". Thanks for sharing and hope you have a good year!
Rod

A good day to be in the field.

stick27Jan09032.jpg

stick27Jan09044.jpg

M.R. Very good job with the pics. And congrats on a fine season.

That was the first time I had seen that stone one room school house. Too bad it is in such bad repair. Wish I owned it. I really love old buildings, especially stone. My wife attended a one room school through the eight grade, but it is a white frame building. It could be purchased. I have tried to figure a way I could move it seventy miles to my ranch and preserve it.

My wife liked the picture of the pheasants and the old stone post. What she didn't know when she saw it, was that it was taken at her first homestead. Not much is left of the ruins there, but that stone post. She says she will get an enlargement and frame it.

I enjoy my time in the field and enjoy the scenery along the way and try to capture much of it on film(well digital images now).

Did you check inside the school for roosters? They sure get educated in a hurry. Must be enrolled in school somewhere.:D

A windy and hot day to end our Kansas season. I saw plenty of seed for next year and should the elements be friendly, next year could be good as well.

I thank God that I have been able to enjoy another upland bird season with family, friends and wonderful canines.

God Bless,

stick31Jan09012.jpg

stick31Jan09024.jpg

End of year

Maynard, looks like you ended the season with class. I took out a young fella that grew up locally for his first hunt behing setters. We pointed a 25 bird covey twice but our shooting failed us. Raven and Bodie also pointed a group of 6-8 pheasants but they were weather wild and left at the edge of gun range, no shots. It was only a 2 hour hunt, but memorable. Lucas was impressed with my setters and I appreciate that. Tell me about that nicely marked setter in your pics.

Prairie Drifter,

You had a nice ending also.

As far as the setter, it belongs to a friend hunting with me for the first time, so I don't know anything about the dog. I will check with him first chance.

Maynard, nice pictures and thanks for sharing. Yes, it was another great pheasant hunting season in Kansas. I took my fair share of the birds and enjoyed plenty of great exercise too. It won't be all that long before we can start looking forward to doing it all over again. Hope you have a nice off season.

Hey Manyard, Nice pics! Thanks for sharing! I sure do enjoy the pics and the stories you guys post. I'm usually up at 5:30 am each morning and this is the first site I go to. Thanks again, Rod

Prairie Drifter,

You had a nice ending also.

As far as the setter, it belongs to a friend hunting with me for the first time, so I don't know anything about the dog. I will check with him first chance.

Maynard,

when you post a good looking dog ....all of us what to know:thumbsup:

Hope all is well.... We are really dry this yr. my ponds are drying up. hope we get some snow/rain in the eastern plains or we are going to be in trouble.

HTS-

I know what you mean. I am trying to remember the last time I had water in my pond. I hope I have some moisture this spring for my food plots. The ones last year didn't even come up.

We need to get together one of these days. Take care.

Hey Manyard, Nice pics! Thanks for sharing! I sure do enjoy the pics and the stories you guys post. I'm usually up at 5:30 am each morning and this is the first site I go to. Thanks again, Rod

Me too. The computer gets turned on when I hit the floor and I check UPH.

Loved that stone building. I am looking for the pic I have of the little one room schoolhouse my Aunt taught in way out in the middle of nowhere NW SD, but cannot locate it right now.
Here is a pic of the old homestead on the 200 acre creek bottom I lease.
________

Last edited:
Back