Wet-Wet-Wet

UGUIDE

Drove back from farm in Sd today and as of this morning reports we a new 2" of rain on top of already saturated ground. Just from my place to the Jim River we several watershed creeks that flow north to south that I have never seen that high even in spring runoff.

Landman, you might have some good trout fishing at your place. I just saw Huck Finn float by on a raft. Choteau Creek is now rated as a #3 whitewater rapids.

It isn't quite that wet here Chris, But we have puddles in the fields where I run my dogs. That are up to Gunnes chest. He thinks they are great he goes splashing through them like a human kid. Gunne it already an inch or so taller than my sons 10 year female Brittany and she is standard size............Bob

we got an inch and 75 at our office.

was too wet so i went home early and started on my weekend! we got some report of wheat damage from last night hail as some wheat was plowed into the ground.

I just check current rainfall for Charles Mix County and is 6.80 inches for month that shows average of 3.47. 2 weeks left in month with thundershowers about everyday in the 10 day forecast.

One thing is for sure. There will not be anywhere near the crops in the field this year on opener becuase they won't get planted. Prevent Plant will be at all time high. One of my camp operators confirmed this at his location too.

I don't really see how USDA numbers are right for crops being in. Says 96 % of corn is in and only 80% of beans. Maybe that's right but seems high just know how wet everything is and fact that I have 2 fields that are supposed to be in beans and are not yet and they are usually high and dry but I don't see the operator getting in there for 3 weeks at least.

Welcome to another weather extreme year in South Dakota.

I can now confirm - It's a wet SOB!

Uguide - I'd give up on the beans and go with rice. Also learned that my resident beavers on Choteau River have left because of too much dam water.

Last edited:
I just check current rainfall for Charles Mix County and is 6.80 inches for month that shows average of 3.47. 2 weeks left in month with thundershowers about everyday in the 10 day forecast.

One thing is for sure. There will not be anywhere near the crops in the field this year on opener becuase they won't get planted. Prevent Plant will be at all time high. One of my camp operators confirmed this at his location too.

I don't really see how USDA numbers are right for crops being in. Says 96 % of corn is in and only 80% of beans. Maybe that's right but seems high just know how wet everything is and fact that I have 2 fields that are supposed to be in beans and are not yet and they are usually high and dry but I don't see the operator getting in there for 3 weeks at least.

Welcome to another weather extreme year in South Dakota.

all my farmer buddies have been done now for a couple of weeks...was out this weekend...yes, wet, wet, wet!

all my farmer buddies have been done now for a couple of weeks...was out this weekend...yes, wet, wet, wet!

Benelli - did you see any chicks while you were at the farm? I wonder how the little fellows fared during the frequent downpours. Most of the farmers in my area finished up planting a couple of weeks ago too, except for maybe a a pothole or two that was too wet. I suppose a lot of low areas will drown out from the ponding in the fields, which might encourage more farmers to enroll some of those areas in CRP this summer. How is your grass looking this year? I bet its looking good.

Benelli - did you see any chicks while you were at the farm? I wonder how the little fellows fared during the frequent downpours. Most of the farmers in my area finished up planting a couple of weeks ago too, except for maybe a a pothole or two that was too wet. I suppose a lot of low areas will drown out from the ponding in the fields, which might encourage more farmers to enroll some of those areas in CRP this summer. How is your grass looking this year? I bet its looking good.

saw one brood...grass looking really good...food plot was planted in corn, and the farmer used the new chemical that repels pheasants...about 7% of my food plot was under water, so it may not grow, but that is OK...how is everything going for you? Nice hearing from you! Mike S.

Rainfall for month now up to 7.8". Charles Mix and surrounding counties are under a flood warning.

I saw 10 pheasant chicks going down LA creek in a canoe (j/k).

One farmer i talked to called this a "rain of biblical proportions". I asked if that mean't he had never seen this kind of rain in his lifetime before. he said "that's right".

saw one brood...grass looking really good...food plot was planted in corn, and the farmer used the new chemical that repels pheasants...about 7% of my food plot was under water, so it may not grow, but that is OK...how is everything going for you? Nice hearing from you! Mike S.

I'm happy to hear that things are going well at your farm. I may need to try some of that pheasant seed next year. We received about 9 inches of rain during the last 5 days so its more than wet - its soaked. The weather is always a big factor, it seems but at least everything got planted on-time this year.

hi wet in north iowa also. seeing some broods of pheasants and turkeys. looks like a good hatch. lots of geese this year. rivers were up when they started nesting so they all nested on high ground this year. looks like pheasants did the same. 2 years ago we had 12 to 15 inches of rain in a day north of us in june. still dont see pheasants in that area.

Back