Weird things pheasants do

A5 Sweet 16

So lately I've seen discussions about where/when pheasants will run, when they'll flush, how often they dump mud, etc. But what are some of the weirdest, most surprising things you've seen them do?

2 years ago, a friend, our 2 dogs, & I were walking the edge of a slough on a WPA. He was on the inside edge of the cattails, with his dog mostly in them. Ace & I were just outside the cattails in that thick, matted junk & thick CRP grass. Both dogs were fairly birdy for quite a while, but no birds. Eventually the slough edge made kind of a 90-degree turn. Ace, who'd been hot OUTSIDE the cattails charged into them & immediately was in a deep spot with several inches of standing water. We naturally didn't feel like getting wet, so just stood & waited, while Ace did his thing, figuring he'd play a little, get a drink, & come on out. Instead, he continued to slop further & further into the cattails. We could hear him. He was still in at least several inches of water (guessing 6"-8"). When he got 60-70 yds in, he flushed about 25 pheasants (none of which flew anywhere near us, of course). I've flushed many pheasants from standing water before, but usually very close to the edge & pretty shallow water. This bunch of birds, I believe, were running ahead of us for quite some time, at least a couple hundred yards. Then, when terrain changed significantly, rather than continue running on dry ground or flush wild, they opted to run into the water. Lots of water. Every one of them. And they'd have been safe there too, allowing us to pass, had Ace not followed them in and eventually flushed them. We were really surprised. I wouldn't have guessed a pheasant, much less 25 of them, would choose running into a bunch of water to evade dogs/hunters, in lieu of almost any other option. To this day, I can't decide if it was more likely they could just barely reach the mucky bottom with their toes, or if they were somehow able to hop between cattail clumps & somehow use the bases of the clumps as stepping stones, or if pheasants, when sufficiently motivated, can actual run on water. It was weird. 🤷 What weird stuff have you seen pheasants do?

I saw once this year in iowa when a flock of four birds where standing in cattails, on ice with about 3 inches of water on top of it. There was a nice willow thicket nearby that we were approaching. I surmised they heard us coming and ran out of the thicket into the watery cattails. They then flushed when we went a few yards into the cattails. A hunting buddy who has been at it a long time once related a story of his dog chasing a rooster for a long time through cattails in a foot of water. He surmised the bird was running on top of the base of cattail clumps.

So lately I've seen discussions about where/when pheasants will run, when they'll flush, how often they dump mud, etc. But what are some of the weirdest, most surprising things you've seen them do?

2 years ago, a friend, our 2 dogs, & I were walking the edge of a slough on a WPA. He was on the inside edge of the cattails, with his dog mostly in them. Ace & I were just outside the cattails in that thick, matted junk & thick CRP grass. Both dogs were fairly birdy for quite a while, but no birds. Eventually the slough edge made kind of a 90-degree turn. Ace, who'd been hot OUTSIDE the cattails charged into them & immediately was in a deep spot with several inches of standing water. We naturally didn't feel like getting wet, so just stood & waited, while Ace did his thing, figuring he'd play a little, get a drink, & come on out. Instead, he continued to slop further & further into the cattails. We could hear him. He was still in at least several inches of water (guessing 6"-8"). When he got 60-70 yds in, he flushed about 25 pheasants (none of which flew anywhere near us, of course). I've flushed many pheasants from standing water before, but usually very close to the edge & pretty shallow water. This bunch of birds, I believe, were running ahead of us for quite some time, at least a couple hundred yards. Then, when terrain changed significantly, rather than continue running on dry ground or flush wild, they opted to run into the water. Lots of water. Every one of them. And they'd have been safe there too, allowing us to pass, had Ace not followed them in and eventually flushed them. We were really surprised. I wouldn't have guessed a pheasant, much less 25 of them, would choose running into a bunch of water to evade dogs/hunters, in lieu of almost any other option. To this day, I can't decide if it was more likely they could just barely reach the mucky bottom with their toes, or if they were somehow able to hop between cattail clumps & somehow use the bases of the clumps as stepping stones, or if pheasants, when sufficiently motivated, can actual run on water. It was weird. 🤷 What weird stuff have you seen pheasants do?
Flying into trees,sometimes very high.These January south Dakota pheasants are very smart!!

Yesterday I was out and the pheasants were hanging out in these seas of drifts. Waves of drifts looked like waves in the ocean. Waist high down to knee high down to boot high. Pretty much a moonscape and the pheasants were wandering around in them up and down and up and down. Barely a crust I don’t know how they weren’t breaking through but they weren’t. Pheasants in the hundreds in these type of spots for the afternoon ,flushing wild all afternoon. All the traditional spots were pretty much void. Never have been in a hunting situation like that where it felt so hopeless.

Last edited:
My dad and I were hunting in Iowa back in the mid 90's and our britt was very birdy when a rooster jumped up like they do when then are winged, you could see his head turning to locate the threats then hit ground and would run or change direction, we chased this rooster for probably 20 to 30 minutes with him jumping and locating us and he lost us. I'm guessing he was winged as he would have exited on the initial jump but it was crazy how he was jumping up to survey the area/threats then keep running. It is my guess he was surveying the area, but whatever it was he knew exactly what he was doing.

I saw a great example of it last year and noticed it once this year and that is pheasants scratching to get to cattail roots. While this isn't surprising in and of itself, it was right next to a food plot. Makes me wonder if there is something specific they are getting out of the roots or if they're sitting there sunning and get bored and start scratching? Maybe bugs are down there?

I saw a great example of it last year and noticed it once this year and that is pheasants scratching to get to cattail roots. While this isn't surprising in and of itself, it was right next to a food plot. Makes me wonder if there is something specific they are getting out of the roots or if they're sitting there sunning and get bored and start scratching? Maybe bugs are down there?
Could they be getting moisture?

We had a pheasant fly through the window of our house a couple years ago. Big ole rooster. Crazy day
Have had grouse commit sliding door suicide at my home in Michigan.

I remember seeing that video . I thought maybe the were getting the starch out of them?

I saw the same thing last week. I wonder if the were getting invertebrates like freshwater shrimp and snails?

I saw the same thing last week. I wonder if the were getting invertebrates like freshwater shrimp and snails?
That was what I thought maybe made sense too. For the calcium. But who knows? I've seen where they scratch the crap out of muskrat huts too. Possibly for the same reason??

Pheasants fly fast. I was driving on a two-lane state highway, speed limit 60, cruise control set at 63, when a cock flushed from the opposite ditch and flew beside my car over the opposing lane, exactly matching my speed for a few seconds. Then he accelerated, getting ahead of me and crossing my lane at a shallow angle, finally alighting in the ditch on my side. Speed when he passed me must have reached 70 if not more.

Last edited:
Pheasants fly fast. I was driving on a two-lane state highway, speed limit 60, cruise control set at 63, when a cock flushed from the opposite ditch and flew beside my car over the opposing lane, exactly matching my speed for a few seconds. Then he accelerated, getting ahead of me and crossing the highway at a shallow angle, finally alighting in the ditch on my side. Speed when he passed me must have reached 70 if not more.

I shot a rooster over a ditch one time and he went down but looked like he was going to be a runner. I stepped into the ditch and went up to my waist in snow. By the time I got through he was 40 yards away in a green wheat field just standing there. I kind of ducked down to formulate a plan and he started coming back to the weed line where he got up. Ended up coming within 20 yards where I then ended the nature drama. 😊

I shot a rooster over a ditch one time and he went down but looked like he was going to be a runner. I stepped into the ditch and went up to my waist in snow. By the time I got through he was 40 yards away in a green wheat field just standing there. I kind of ducked down to formulate a plan and he started coming back to the weed line where he got up. Ended up coming within 20 yards where I then ended the nature drama. 😊
Love when a plan comes together!

Back