Weather!!!!

Our weather today was a duplicate to what we experienced, during a hunt in late October - wind and rain/mist. As long as we hunted into the wind the birds held; very few left at the end of a field. We were early in the season which helped ; most of the birds were first-year. By now, after being shot at, they are very wise and leave as soon as the car door closes.

Side note: the moisture clouded my glasses so I took them off. Shot better with them off than on! And I wear them for distance as well as reading...

Was a nasty day for sure. Happy to scratch out what we did today. Tomorrow sounds similar.

I start my second 5 days today. Looks like it’s going to be a nasty day. I predict that regardless of the results it won’t soon be forgotten. Good luck if your out there today.

I start my second 5 days today. Looks like it’s going to be a nasty day. I predict that regardless of the results it won’t soon be forgotten. Good luck if your out there today.
We finish our 10 day run today. Went from balmy high 60’s to this. Crazy.

At least there’s no snow to trudge through and it’s not too cold…birds are tough to hit once they catch the wind! Knocked down 4 yesterday, lost one…dog picked up a cripple in a different spot as well…missed several in the 25-40 yard range…

I will be heading out for a quick 3 dayer tomorrow morning, sounds like the wind will not be TOO crazy. Gonna bring my 14 yr old kid and 71 yr old dad, we were hoping for a little more mild temps but what do you do.

Hopefully the boy will score his first rooster this year!

Good day to sit home and watch the high school football championships. The wind right now in Watertown is 39 gusting to 53. Fortunately we didn't get much snow, maybe a couple inches. I remember hunting on days like this and it wasn't much fun. In my old age I've become a fair weather hunter and don't feel the need to go out on crappy days.

Memorable day…an inch or two of snow caused the birds to hold tight it seems; hunted my property, which is mostly grass and some misc food plots and a row of cedars. Killed 3 in about 4.5 miles of walking, missed two. Gun wouldn’t cycle about half the time. First bird flushed and was screaming! Only had one shot due to gun issues…dropped it and my lab was right there…I knew it was a cripple, but didn’t expect it to take 5-8 minutes…Lena came back from god knows how far away with the bird! I could see tail feathers sticking up at a 45 degree angle from the grass from a long ways away…happy doesn’t describe that feeling! Got 2 more, including a great point on bird #3….my buddy got one as well…great morning in 30mph winds gusting to 50! Not bad overall, put a raincoat on to block the wind.

Memorable day…an inch or two of snow caused the birds to hold tight it seems; hunted my property, which is mostly grass and some misc food plots and a row of cedars. Killed 3 in about 4.5 miles of walking, missed two. Gun wouldn’t cycle about half the time. First bird flushed and was screaming! Only had one shot due to gun issues…dropped it and my lab was right there…I knew it was a cripple, but didn’t expect it to take 5-8 minutes…Lena came back from god knows how far away with the bird! I could see tail feathers sticking up at a 45 degree angle from the grass from a long ways away…happy doesn’t describe that feeling! Got 2 more, including a great point on bird #3….my buddy got one as well…great morning in 30mph winds gusting to 50! Not bad overall, put a raincoat on to block the wind.
My dog doesn't get on wounded birds.I envy this. Good job.

I hunted those Thursday and Friday windy days, it made it tough. Walking into the wind, some birds held. But if you couldn't get a quick shot off they were gone fast. Most of them just got really high into the sky so fast that it was just an awkward shooting angle, I definitely struggled connecting on them.

With the snow, birds held better Friday. Hunted the lee side of a strip of cedars, so they weren’t going Mach speed right away…it took 2 seconds! I got lucky that day, shot well and the dogs were on their game. Saturday was less windy, shot more poorly however…still had lots of action and got my birds. Memorable trip for sure! Leave again wed am…weather looks good…☀️👍

I'm envious of all you out there hunting later in the season. I live in TN and only make to SD for the opener every year. Hopefully once kids are older and life slows some I can make a second trip out. Keep the updates coming!

very nice!

hey one question and dont kill me for asking, wasnt the sdgnf goig to raise the december limit from 3 to 4 roosters? what happened to that idea?

Back