Weather is a Changin'

Dakotazeb

Other than a lot of wind we have really had a very mild fall here in South Dakota, but it appears that with winter officially starting on Thursday the weather is also going to be changing. Snow on Thursday with falling temps. By the weekend and into next week highs will be in the single digits and lows sub zero. Hope to get a couple more days of hunting in before we leave for our winter home in Arizona on Christmas Day. Looks like I'll be getting out of here just in time. :)

I hope the weatherman is right. The public land birds around here have been tough going. Shooting plenty, but definitely working hard for them & not seeing very many. I hope the snow is significant enough to finally take plenty of that lighter cover out of play. Sounds like you'll be pulling up stakes a bit early, Zeb. Season runs through the 7th!

I hope the weatherman is right. The public land birds around here have been tough going. Shooting plenty, but definitely working hard for them & not seeing very many. I hope the snow is significant enough to finally take plenty of that lighter cover out of play. Sounds like you'll be pulling up stakes a bit early, Zeb. Season runs through the 7th!

There are some young pheasants that need a mild winter to get a chance mature before the weather turns cold and snowy. What the pheasants need is a mild winter followed by good nesting weather.

There are some young pheasants that need a mild winter to get a chance mature before the weather turns cold and snowy. What the pheasants need is a mild winter followed by good nesting weather.

Have you been seeing some still so young that they're not fully mature? I'm not seeing any that young in the east-central part of the state. The younger birds around here are nice looking, full-fledged roosters. In fact, even early in the season around here, there weren't many real young birds. I think the birds that hatched around here did so at "normal" time for the most part.

Have you been seeing some still so young that they're not fully mature? I'm not seeing any that young in the east-central part of the state. The younger birds around here are nice looking, full-fledged roosters. In fact, even early in the season around here, there weren't many real young birds. I think the birds that hatched around here did so at "normal" time for the most part.

Oh yes. I think every group that has come through here has and also said they have seen birds that are so late they did not know what they were.

David0311

Other than a lot of wind we have really had a very mild fall here in South Dakota, but it appears that with winter officially starting on Thursday the weather is also going to be changing. Snow on Thursday with falling temps. By the weekend and into next week highs will be in the single digits and lows sub zero. Hope to get a couple more days of hunting in before we leave for our winter home in Arizona on Christmas Day. Looks like I'll be getting out of here just in time. :)

Overnight ice fishing trip day after Christmas with grandson and son—then I’ll be right behind you—see You there this winter—:)

Back