We Need Off Season Humor

BritChaser

Things are a little slow in the main forum what with all the regular seasons over with, so let's hear some humorous stories. Has anyone encountered someone who created the impression of hunting experience and skill and then proved out to be all hot air? In my experience, hunters are the quiet type who typically understate, if they say anything at all, everything about themselves including their hunting prowess and accomplishments. They let their guns and their legs do the talking. But just for laughs, it might be fun to read some tales about ineptitude, empty boasts, etc. No names or other identifiers of the guilty should be used because the purpose is not to put anyone down, but to share a humorous tale.

Here's a tale of hunting ineptitude: A 12 year old boy was equipped with an old external hammer, single shot .410. The hammer was so heavily sprung that he had to use two thumbs to pull it back. So he walked with it cocked (no safety). He unintentionally touched off a shot, into the ground fortunately, claiming it went off by accident. Nobody believed his lame lie, of course. That boy was me, in 1961.

Last edited:
Not exactly humerous, but the following is "stranger than truth".
It was opening day a few years ago and we worked our hotspot as usual, pushing birds towards an open water slough on a property I owned at that time. Three of us were spread out in a 60 ft line on a grassy flat about 50 yds from the water when the dog went on point. We had each shot one bird and it was not 12:30 yet. Several birds got up, strung out over a few seconds and each of us shot one. Gunnar was still on point so Mike went up to pick up his bird. He stated "come here and look at this." I thought he had a freak or albino tho I had not recalled seeing anything unsual. I walked up and he pointed to the three roosters, all laying on the same spot. You could have covered them with a dinner plate! They were shot by three different people from three different spots about 60ft apart at different moments but landed on one another.
I got Gunnar off point, another rooster tho we did not shoot it. We had two birds apiece so we turned around and left so we could enjoy an evening shoot back near Sioux Falls at Mike's with some other hunters.
________
Aprilia Pegaso 600

Last edited:
If you people want some humor their some funny stories in STORIES. It is now located as a Sub-Forum in the Lounge. If I could be so bold as to suggest, post them in there and then read the ones already there.---Bob

OK but before we go, I would like to add that now that I have been sitting on my A(**^&%. I am looking like a pheasant egg on stilts. If I were an inch taller I would be perfectly round. We need the bird walks to keep a guy in shape walking for nothing just doesn't seem to do it for me.

A friend of mine hadn't done much upland hunting, but he bought himself a French Brittany named Buddy and decided to get into it. He was living in Michigan at the time so I invited him out for a week in South Dakota chasing pheasants with me and my dogs. My friend suggested that he come even earlier and we could hunt around my place in Minnesota before hitting the Dakotas. I made it more than clear to him on several occasions that he had to get himself and the dog in good shape because we'd be putting the miles on and it would wear a dog out to do such a lenghty trip. His only answer was, "Buddy don't get tired".

On the Minnesota opener we hit a few WMA's and they had quite a few birds, but it was mostly cattails and slough grass so the walking was tough. My friend was huffing and puffing a half hour into it and after we loaded up the dogs and headed to a second spot at about 11:00 am, Buddy of 'Buddy don't get tired' fame, refused to come out of the kennel. My friend had to physically drag him out and then Buddy hid under the truck and only moved enough so we coudn't grab him. Once we got him kenneled up we left him in the truck the rest of the day. We hunted until about dark and headed back to have dinner. My friend fell asleep bolt upright in a chair before we ever got dinner on the table and didn't move a muscle the rest of the night and not a peep came out of Buddy's kennel.

Buddy ended up working himself into shape over the course of the trip and turned out to be a real nice dog. My friend and I have been hunting pheasants together for years now and he's one of my favorite hunting partners. Buddy has been dead for a long time, but when ever anyone looks to be a little haggard and dragging tail you might hear a, "Buddy don't get tired" followed by some hearty laughter.

OK but before we go, I would like to add that now that I have been sitting on my A(**^&%. I am looking like a pheasant egg on stilts. If I were an inch taller I would be perfectly round.

So what your saying is, if you paint yourself red and put a big M on your chest you could walk in a Easter parade as one of the M&M guys. :rolleyes:

Relocate to Funny Place

If you people want some humor their some funny stories in STORIES. It is now located as a Sub-Forum in the Lounge. If I could be so bold as to suggest, post them in there and then read the ones already there.---Bob

Thanks for the heads up!

that's amazing

Not exactly humerous, but the following is "stranger than truth".
It was opening day a few years ago and we worked our hotspot as usual, pushing birds towards an open water slough on a property I owned at that time. Three of us were spread out in a 60 ft line on a grassy flat about 50 yds from the water when the dog went on point. We had each shot one bird and it was not 12:30 yet. Several birds got up, strung out over a few seconds and each of us shot one. Gunnar was still on point so Mike went up to pick up his bird. He stated "come here and look at this." I thought he had a freak or albino tho I had not recalled seeing anything unsual. I walked up and he pointed to the three roosters, all laying on the same spot. You could have covered them with a dinner plate! They were shot by three different people from three different spots about 60ft apart at different moments but landed on one another.
I got Gunnar off point, another rooster tho we did not shoot it. We had two birds apiece so we turned around and left so we could enjoy an evening shoot back near Sioux Falls at Mike's with some other hunters.

Wow. That is amazing.

Last edited:
Keeping Your Hunting Legs

OK but before we go, I would like to add that now that I have been sitting on my A(**^&%. I am looking like a pheasant egg on stilts. If I were an inch taller I would be perfectly round. We need the bird walks to keep a guy in shape walking for nothing just doesn't seem to do it for me.

Staying in hunting shape is a challenge. I turn 60 this year so keeping my "field legs" is becoming more of a challenge, and we all know that you don't get pheasants with your gun, you get 'em with your legs. And if you like to eat like I do, the challenge is doubled. I walk nearly every day and do some weight lifting on the weekends in the off season. So far that's worked for me and I am fortunate to have plenty of field stamina which a hunter needs in Kansas where the birds are not as plentiful. As I age, getting motivated to exercise is a problem. But I just think of the great times I had last season and I hope to repeat them this coming season. I can't do it unless I stay in shape.

OK but before we go, I would like to add that now that I have been sitting on my A(**^&%. I am looking like a pheasant egg on stilts.

This weather in Minnesota is getting old. I like the cold, but some nice weather would be a good. It's getting about this time where boredom sets in for me and I can only handle so many hours on the internet.

Want a funny story here is one. Tony and I were on our daily walk, run for Tony. We coming down a road that separates a very large weedy field. Tony ran down the road and then turned and worked back toward me through the weeds. He went on Point. I was still about 50 yards back up the road. As I approached the point area. 2 quail ran out onto the road. Stopped and proceeded to read Tony the Riot Act for pointing them. They were still going at it very strong, as I walked up to them. Tony still on point, sight point, now, had a puzzled look on his face. It took the Quail about a full 30 seconds or so to realize I standing next to them. They jumped and flew over into the cemetery. Their flying released Tony. He came to me with a look of; "What in heaven's did I do to deserve that?" I petted and assured him he was a good dog, gave him a drink of water. We then continued on our way.---Bob

Last edited:
Back