WD-40 and Guns

companies sometime use quotes like that to sell. it could be a flat out lie, could be a horrible thing. i know one thing...

WD-40 may be a water repellent but it does NOT repell dust and dust is what will rust your gun once the WD-40 and Dust combines and you having it in your gun case during the off season, it'll be rusty.

name any cleaner that repels dust

I've got a few guns that I will spray with WD40 and set in the gun safe-
you're saying they'll gather dust and because of WD40 they'll rust- would you say you're so sure you'd be willing to make a bet

when i saw the title.. i thought, oh god.... WD-40 is flammable... a no-no. like Bob mentioned, use Rem-Oil.. its designed for guns, dont use WD-40 for guns, ever. i dont care how squeaky your gun is, never use WD-40.

well since we brought this thread back up.... Rem-oil is flammable as well :D

well since we brought this thread back up.... Rem-oil is flammable as well :D

WD-40, is flamable and your gun is a tool that uses a primer to ignite the powder. Stop and think about this scenario, you have a soon to be fire and a flamable right next to your face as you squeeze the trigger. It is always beter to be safe than to have a regret for not thinking it through. my point is, WD-40 has it's purpose, Rem-oil was designed for guns.. not for squeaky doors as WD-40 although im sure you could...

honestly, i did say use Rem-oil bc its designed for guns... .. but i use Hoppes and no i dont use it near the striker at all...

heres a forum that talks about it... a few uses it and most dont use wd-40 but use rem-oil or other products that are used FOR guns only.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/wd-40-a-941/

I read the link.... makes sense. AllI was saying is that rem oil is also flammable. The flash point on rem-oil is probably not near what wd-40 is so it makes sense.

For the record I use rem-oil and CLP. CLP is all we used in the Marines and i never had any issues with my weapons then.

Birdman- are you very familiar with WD40- or just totally against it

I've been a mechanic most of my life

here's a test you can do to see just how flamable WD40 is

take a cigarett lighter- spray it with WD40- try to get it to light

Birdman- are you very familiar with WD40- or just totally against it

I've been a mechanic most of my life

here's a test you can do to see just how flamable WD40 is

take a cigarett lighter- spray it with WD40- try to get it to light

why is this pointed at me? im not the original poster... i just agree with most people on here.. dont use WD-40.. i used to work Towing service/auto service before the age of 21 due to Law enforcement had to be 21 or older.... then i got into that, also i did complete diesel technology at South East Tech in Sioux Falls right out of high school... AND completed Criminal Justice at USD in Vermillion after Diesel Tech... i grew up on a farm.. never used WD-40 on anything OTHER than a gun... and i refuse to use it on a gun..

every GOOGLE search i done on WD-40 vs Rem oil vs Hoppes and other gun oil... and WD-40 VS guns, every one is saying WD-40 will gum up or is flammable near the striker...

but again i dont know why fingers are being pointed at me.. im not the only one on this forum that says not to use WD-40 on guns...

look at your posts-

some here have been using WD40 for years- seems strange you say it'll blow up your gun, cause dust to stick and rust your gun in a safe, will gum up a firearm

it can gum up your gun if you spray it on heavily and leave it on and do that over and over- so can just about anything

look at your posts-

some here have been using WD40 for years- seems strange you say it'll blow up your gun, cause dust to stick and rust your gun in a safe, will gum up a firearm

it can gum up your gun if you spray it on heavily and leave it on and do that over and over- so can just about anything

oh geez....

look at the post-rifle question- Boss

that gun has been in my Sentry Safe for over a year- was cleaned with WD-40 and a light film left in the barrel and all metal-before I put it away

I covered the scope with a large ziplock bag and took the stock off-
then I sprayed it heavily, ran 4 patches thru the barrel soaking every other one- blew it all dry- WD40- ran 3 dry patches thru the barrel

then shot those three shots

WS-40 is crap. I use what i used in the Marines good old CLP. It has never let me down in the Corps or hunting

As was stated, stay away from WD-40 for guns.

Good ole Break Free CLR for me. A great all in one product. Works as a mild cleaner and has excellent lubricating qualities and protects, even in cold weather.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
WD-40 and Rem-Oil are closer in composition then you think. They are both mineral oil and both have close to the same lel (lower explosive limit) and uel (upper explosive limit).
WD-40 lel-.6%
uel-8%
Flash point 111.2 deg. F
Rem-Oil lel-.7%
uel-9.5%
Flash point 156 deg. F

So WD-40 will ignite at a leaner air mixture but Rem-Oil will burn longer with a more rich air mixture. The flash point is the tempature at which the product in a open cup will produce a vapor that can ignite with a outside ignition source. Now that both of these products are most generally used in an aerosol form means you cant use there flashpoints as a comparrison.
The lighter test, (spraying a lighter and trying to light it) is irrelevent. A lighter soaked in gasoline is not going to light until it dries a little, if the striker isnt dry enough to cause enough friction on the flint to make a spark you have no ignition source. And if your product is to rich around your ignition source your not going to get a fire, with that being said, rem oil could start a fire with a richer mixture before wd if you sprayed it on a lighter. The variable with this are endless and we could argue the points forever.

I would say in the end its up to you what you use.

You specified outside use only. I have used WD-40 as the final wipedown for the outside of all of my guns for years, and my Dad did the same with some of these same guns for decades before they came to me. I don't think it hurts them at all. I have heard that the WD-40 will break down the lubricating oil inside a gun, but I think it i perfect for the outside. I use it to remove sweat, moisture, and dirt before storing the guns and give each one a light mist of WD-40 before storing.

You'll get plenty of strong opinions on this one.....

Back