Waterfowl Gun

I went with the Browning Maxus. I hunt with my three boys and they have the Benelli's and Beretta's, and the Maxus kills the same as theirs at a much lower price. I also use it during pheasant season if the weather is nasty. Eats everything I feed it including low brass field loads.

I've been using a Beretta Xtrema 2 in Max 4 with Kick Off for about three years now. It has never let me down yet.

Now I'm shooting an a400 extreme before that is what an 870 wingmaster supermag.

Went to an auto for recoil reduction mostly for the days when I shoot a lot of clays or when using 3.5 inch shells for waterfowl.

I wanted to go versamax but just couldn't get over the thick forearm. No regrets with the beretta.

I also have a versa max. I have never had any problems with it and it cycles any shell I have put threw it from light loads for clays to 3 1/2 inch goose loads. I also like how it comes up to my shoulder. For the money any of the mentioned guns cost I would recommend going and shouldering the different guns you are considering and just see what feels the best.

Using an SX3. Similar to the Maxus, but cheaper. I am sending it in to have the wooden stock replaced. I have some hairline fractures along the stock where the receiver and stock meet.

Not sure about your criteria, but for what it's worth, my waterfowl gun is a cam Cynergy, but my main criteria is that I shoot it better than semis or pumps. I spend so much time pheasant hunting that I much prefer the fit, balance and seeing of an over-under. But
price=high
Weight=moderately heavy
Durability=don't know yet, but I suspect it will not be as durable as some others

I have been hunting with a beretta XtremaII for the past 8 years. I think it ranks much higher than the Cynergy on your three criteria. It was quite expensive, but still cheaper than the Cynergy. But my gawd, it was just an absolutely indestructible and reliable gun. I abused the hell out of it, and it never missed a beat. Aside from some wear of camo finish on the stock, it remains flawless, despite very abusive exposure to fine-grain salty bay of Fundy mud that would eat most other guns for breakfast...
Dave

SBE ll, my waterfowl, grouse, pheasant, turkey, dove, crow, woodcock, trap and sporting clays gun all in one!

Not the cheapest but the only shot gun I need because of the versatility

For the money a good pump gun. BPS is a favorite of mine because it drops the empty hulls at my feet and is durable. Nova is also very durable. The ol mainstay 870 is also a good choice, but not as smooth as the BPS, for me anyway. They suck to take down and clean however. If someone would make a nice O/U in camo for a good price I would use one. Basically a beater. No moving parts to freeze up on those brutal days where water and moisture are involved. If you like the Semi Auto world it gets a little more pricey, unless you have an older 1100. Then you need another barrel or another way to be able to take advantage of different chokes. Good luck finding one you like. Spending countless hours waterfowling is the best test I guess!!! This is almost like a pointer or retriever, which is best question.:cheers:

Sbe2 has been a great all around gun for me. My son has claimed it for a local shooting club (trap, skeet and sporting clays).Several years of HIGH USE and it's still going strong.
Browning bps is also a great gun. I've owned one for years also. The bottom eject is nice in a duck blind. My daughter has also claimed this gun for trap shooting. :cheers:

I shoot a Browning Cynergy camo 3.5" O/U. Killed a truck load of ducks and geese with it. Most likely my last waterfowl gun I will ever need. It's shot cases and cases of shells. Snows, Blues, Honkers, Mallards, wood ducks, teal, Gads, pintails, ring necks, bills, redheads, you name it, it's killed it, along with plenty of upland birds. It's a go to gun for anything that flies for me. Numerous others have shot it plenty too. Completely wore out a SBE in the same time period. This baby is just getting broke in. A true testament of just how much longer a good O/U will last over a auto or many pumps too.

I have a 3.5" Beretta 686 onxy Pro O/U also but have not shot anything but some trap loads through it.

I have a Remington SP-10 10ga auto I have had for many years, that I use of geese when they are the only game I'm after, but it has shot plenty of ducks too over the years.

Back