Vest Recommendations

Ollie8422

So, I'm looking into upgrading my pheasant hunting vest. I've been looking at the Badlands Upland Vest, and Alps Upland Vest. What is everyones opinions on these styles of vests.

Not familiar with those vests but have an opinion about vests anyway. lol. ;) I use a Filson strap vest. Filson is top quality, long lasting stuff, and its strap vest has some features I like. It has bellows pockets so that when you bend over, say to pick up a bird, your shells don't fall out to the ground. I know some vests have individual shell slots which I do not care for; prefer them loose in a pocket. The Filson game bag is easy to access and is large enough for a 1.5 liter dog water bottle and several pheasants. The model I have has leather belt ends. I loop the male end through the belt buckle of my pants before buckling the vest which keeps the vest from sagging in the back from the weight of water and birds. Good luck finding a vest that meets your specs.

Is that the badland upland vest with the water bladder? The vest looks like a small backpack with all the small compartments. good if you want to carry a lot of stuff (=extra weight).
I'm not a fan of the vest or the hydration bladders. I got rid of the bladder in my "hiking" pack, and use a canteen instead (easier to clean/refill).

I'm a minimalist, I travel light with the bare essentials while upland hunting(pocket knife, granola bar, bottle water, shells & shotgun and simple strap vest.)
Different strokes for different folks.

Wing Works came about from Idaho Chuckar hunters that wanted a vest that the shell pockets didn’t hit you in the legs as you climbed uphill , carry enough water for you and your dogs in 2 large water bottle pockets , a few pockets for necessities, you could carry limit of chuckar in the game pouch all in one pretty compact strap vest

Wingworks is the Cadillac. I used one for a couple seasons and sold it because I had to shed weight and go to a belt, but it was really a fine piece of workmanship. $225

I have a Q5 San Carlos. Love it. Do a lot of hunting for bobwhites and ringnecks a time or two. Works perfect for me. Seems like it was about the same price as the Wingworks at the time. I've been wearing it for about 4 seasons. It has worn well. Solid heavy canvas type material, but I got only the straps over the back (keeps me cooler).

I’m in the market for a new vest as well. What do you recommend for someone who doesn’t want to break the bank. I only have a few requirements. 400sq inches of orange (live in Illinois). Prefer some shell loops. Would like a zip pocket or so for gps,etc. was considering gamehide pheasant A3o.

https://m.orvis.com/category/hunting-vests/2FP7/

Since wings works takes a year to get �� might be worth checking out.

Bought this exact vest last year after seeing one on another hunter—
Just what I have been looking for—great quality-large game bag-extra pockets for gear—(first aid kit-ect.)bottle holders-
Supper adjustable and comfortable-like front pockets better than (Wing Works-and I think their vests are great)
Have several other top quality vests-but this is my go too as of now-(for early season at least)

Just make sure that the vest you buy doesn't shrink! I swear that every fall when I put my vest on that my wife shrunk it in the wash last year! No wait she never washes my vests? Then how do they shrink???

Just make sure that the vest you buy doesn't shrink! I swear that every fall when I put my vest on that my wife shrunk it in the wash last year! No wait she never washes my vests? Then how do they shrink???

I've got mystery shrinkage issues with my pants. If you figure it out, let me know. :p

I purchased the Orvis Pro last year before a mearns quail hunt in southern Arizona. Best I have ever owned!!!!

I've used the Tenzing Upland Pack for two seasons, absolutely the best setup I've every used in over 50 years of upland hunting. Worth every penny. I carry a lot of gear & water for the dogs (I hunt with as many as 4) and nothing else comes close for comfort versus ability to carry gear (13 pockets & compartments). The game bag is big enough for 5 roosters (the most I've carried). No issues shooting with it on as the straps are thin and it has a ton of adjustment. The only down side is when you have the hip straps belted down the shell pockets are a bit tight to get into (has 14 shell loops that are between the pockets and belt though). Not an issue for me as I habitually carry 4 or 5 rounds on a butt stock carrier for quick reloads.

My wife is smaller in stature and uses the Badlands Upland Pack. She loves it. Fewer pockets, but the shell pockets are easier to get into and have magnet closures (also has shell loops between the pockets and belt). Smaller game bag but still no problem carrying 4 or maybe 5 roosters. The color is more of a flat orange than blaze orange. I've read some consider this a big deal but I don't, have no problem seeing her in the field...

BTW, if you buy a Tenzing, order it through Walmart. About $50 cheaper than anyone else has them, delivered to your door. I just ordered their upgraded BV16 model, giving my BV15 to my nephew...

Last edited:
Back