Very quiet????

Noticed it's been very quiet in the SD forum.

Anyone have any new updates on brood sightings?

I know its summer but there's has to be something to discuss?

The third week of Oct is still beyond sight at this point. My excitement for this fall makes the clock tick slower, my work weeks longer, and my anticipation grow that much more.

Its a good thing I have the dogs and some training that help keep me sane until the big show in Oct.

:D

I was thinking the same thing. It was quite the same time last year also. The guys that have the best info that I have seen in the past are Uguide Benelli Banger Haymaker and SDJIm. I'm sure these guys are working light to light. When they catch their breath I'm sure they will kick in

You are right it is sun up to sun down and then some. I have not cut any hay yet, that is when I start seeing things. We are wet, I do not know what the effect of that is yet other than it is hard to get things done. Yesterday the Miller-Highmore area got hit with 8 to ten inches of rain and golf ball to softball size hail. That is the rumor, I have not talked to any body that knows for sure but I heard about 8 inches in an hour. That is not good for anything but mosquitos.

8 inches in an hours is beyond wash-out for nests:eek: Hopefully that wasn't wide-spread.

At what time (month) of the year do you typically cut your hay?

Nick

Good report

As reported on the front page of the Mitchell Daily Republic newspaper today.

"SD bird numbers flying HIGHER" Pheasants should see "a modest increase" as experts say weather has been favorable for nesting conditions.

Travis Runta--the lead upland game biologist for the SDFG&P is predicting a modest increase this year and he is starting to get good reports even though the birds are hard to detect given the heavy cover.

The article goes on to explain how lots of different data plays on the prediction process.

As for locally here in the Platte area the grass is TALL and dense --even adult birds are hard to see unless they are standing in the open--I am very encouraged by the winter and spring weather we have had--the conditions for a very good season is there, but only time will tell. :D

See http://www.mitchellrepublic.com/ for the complete story

Last edited:
Hey Jim,

Aren't you with a new puppy this summer? Thought that was the case; wonder how the training is going??

Jon

Not yet--pup is due between 21st and 27th of this month or today thru Saturday---the wait has been like forever--but it will be worth it--will get it in mid Aug I hope. It should get a lot of exposure to birds even as a puppy as I have over 900 acres of pheasant ground and live on the land--also have about 160 acres in active habitat projects--just need a dog--I'm retired so I have the time--the land-- should be a lot of fun. :D:D:D:cheers:

Closer to pup.....

Jim,

Tried getting a hold of you this afternoon. Gracie's little hunters have arrived here this afternoon. Georgia should be in the next couple days. The long awaited pup is close......

8 inches in an hours is beyond wash-out for nests:eek: Hopefully that wasn't wide-spread.

At what time (month) of the year do you typically cut your hay?

Nick

About ten days ago would have been about right. It has been too wet to get things done we have not had any big rains but something about every other day.

Quite a few big storms producing high winds and hail ripped across the eastern half of the state last night. From what I have read today the hail wasn't very wide spread. Saw a picture from Richmond lake north west of Aberdeen and they had a pretty good pile of golf ball size hail. That's sure to kill anything it hits. Not sure how far of a stretch that fell for though.

was out in mitchell area this weekend for a wedding...things are looking good...very lush! lots of bugs. the area has had about 11" of rain since may 1st, very spread out. two big storms over the past 4 nights, friday being one of them...no hail where i am at. saw a fair number of birds...my farmer buddy who was doing some work on my ground about a week ago saw a brood of about a dozen, a few of which flew. mitchell paper had an article talking about a slight rebound this year in birds...too much habitat has been lost to create a big rebound, but, we are heading in the right direction.

Long time lurker, first time poster....
Good to see updates from all of you SD people. Been hunting Presho for past 15 years...hoping for even a moderate increase in bird numbers to add to last years rebound. My contacts in Lyman County have all reported good things even after the recent storms...guess the hail was at a minimum but some scary 100 mph winds that took out more grain bins. Feel like every spring in SD is a lesson in dodging bullets! It's nerve racking for me, and I live in Wa State!

Most of the bad stuff is localized. I was monitiring the nest I discovered 50 feet from my dog kennel and they hatched out early (late may) all eleven eggs hatched. I saw another bunch of chicks 1/4 mile east of my house that were too small to be same bunch so should be at least two broods in the hood. See a lot of roosters aroun. Apparently we did not shoot enough last year. Long story short---I am optimistic.

Quick update from the platte/kimball area... I spoke with my friend and he did mention the high wind, it knocked out a windshield on one of his tractors and caused havoc on the wheat. He has had about 2.5 inches of rain the last 10 days and the ground has soaked it all in ( still recovering from the moderate drought)... When I was out in May he did mention the carryover for hens was tremendous from last year, which is now leading to all the broods he is seeing. He also said the broods seem to be large in numbers. All promising signs but we are still early. The cover and crops look good... The pastures are looking good, which is important for the continued re-nesting efforts. He was out spraying the grass next to to my trees today and accidentally ran over a nest, the hen made it so let's hope she can do her thing again.

Sorry for the long winded report but wanted to provide a report to carry us through the upcoming dawg days of summer.

You know what's funny is the fact that it could be good or bad reports and I'm still coming to South Dakota to hunt birds come the fall, but I can tell you I watch the weather and read these reports so often it makes me wonder about my sanity... The farmer where I hunt in Miner County had positive reports and whats even more positive is the fact that they're putting in additional CRP acres. They really seemed to be surprised by the winter survival rates, but I haven't talked to them since May, so hoping the hatch is going well too. I'll post something when I hear from them.

It should be a great year for all those who travel to SD!!! Even when it was bad, it was still better than what I am used too!!! Should be some great stories and pictures come October!!:cheers:

I was scheduled to be in SD over the 4th. Way things are looking with one of my females having a late litter I will have to back it off a week. I will try to get out one night and do the normal loop and report what I see compared to last year.

I am sure it will be difficult to get any good idea due to all the cover but I will try. I am sure taking the ride and observing will just add "gas to the fire". I will be more primed than the dogs I am sure. There's only 100+ days until the season......

It's the old let things grow period--except weeds--so had the new tree planting disked--the weeds got to be to much for the lawn mower and a weed eater. :rolleyes:

Wow! South Dakota looks greener than Washington State right now. I should think the insects will be a prime food source.
To throw my 2 cents in on the post's question...why so quiet? From a outta-stater point of view I went to SD from the 2000's thru 2012 during this time pheasants could do no wrong, we expected amazing hunting without really stressing about the weather...times were FAT... The bars in Presho were packed with loud drunk hunters, tons of booze, $, women, and probably lots of cocaine... The recession slowed a lot of that down, but the 2012 drought year brought the party music down quite a bit.
2013...2.5 birds per sq. mile....ouch....party over.
The true hunters never stopped coming to South Dakota and we were rewarded last year in a nice rebound, we hope for another rebound year, but careful to limit our expectations....we don't want to be the jackass on here or some other source talking up the bird numbers to jinx us in our rebound. Everyone is QUIETLY optimistic!!!!!!!

Back