Vehicles

The last 3 dog I’ve had would each get skunked sometimes twice a year,,,and tangle with coons. The two I hunt now no problems, funny I rattle snake vaced these two because as puppies I thought they were the ones who were gonna get in the most trouble

Last edited:
My dogs get skunked around the neighborhood. It's happened 3 times over the years, once even in the back yard.

In all my hunting in Kansas, I've seen a dog get skunked in the field once. I hunt out of an Suburban and so I keep a skunk kit in truck during the season. It's just the normal recipe of a full, unopened, quart of peroxide, the smallest bottle of dawn dish detergent I can find, and ziplock bag containing the appropriate amount of baking soda and a rag for applying the mixture. It all fits in a tupperware-type jug that's designed for beverages. I throw the whole thing under the backseat and forget about it.

As for subarus, my standard joke is that when you buy a new one, they'll pre-apply your choice of the following bumper stickers:
  • Coexist
  • Bernie 2016
  • Bernie 2020
  • (going way back to my high school and college days) Mean People Suck

I am surprised by the number of posters on here that have had skunk problems with their dogs. I've been pheasant hunting for 25 years and I've never ran into one.
You are one lucky dude. :) I had one dog that got it twice within 30 minutes. :mad:

I've never had one. How do they work in the house, We have two wires and a big mutt in the house, So you know what those smells like in the rainy season.
They work fine, but like Chrestle said, you need to run them when no one is in the house including dogs.

1965 AMC Rambler Classic 550 Cross Country Station Wagon
My dad had a '58 Rambler. It was a great "make out" vehicle as the front seats reclined. :)

I am surprised by the number of posters on here that have had skunk problems with their dogs. I've been pheasant hunting for 25 years and I've never ran into one.
I had a dog get hit 5 times in one day. Unfortunately it was a day we were traveling from one town to another and had all our gear and clothes in the car. Had a skunk kit, ran out after the third time. Unbelievable but even after 5 times she could still find birds and I finished a limit over her on the way back to the car after the fifth time.

Do they hibernate when it gets cold? I primarily hunt when its colder out. Maybe that helps avoid them.
They don't truly hibernate but they do den up and become less active in cold weather. That's probably why you have been able to avoid them.

I have been skunked once with my dogs, my brit was on point and I walked in for the and to my surprise it was not a pheasant. Fortunately the wind was quartering on me and I didn't get the full blast. Had a ranger with a topper and she stayed in the truck the rest of the trip this was back in the late 80's, I didn't know about the good skunk remedy. I will say if is amazing how fast your nose gets desensitized, I showered and put on clothes to go eat and asked my dad if I still smelled and he smiled and said "Oh Yeah". Only other time dogs have got hit in the yard but that has been a rarity.....knock on wood.

I have been skunked once with my dogs, my brit was on point and I walked in for the and to my surprise it was not a pheasant. Fortunately the wind was quartering on me and I didn't get the full blast. Had a ranger with a topper and she stayed in the truck the rest of the trip this was back in the late 80's, I didn't know about the good skunk remedy. I will say if is amazing how fast your nose gets desensitized, I showered and put on clothes to go eat and asked my dad if I still smelled and he smiled and said "Oh Yeah". Only other time dogs have got hit in the yard but that has been a rarity.....knock on wood.
Maybe we need to start a skunk thread. My buddy and I were in Iowa when I smelled one every time, I got close to him.
When we got in the truck, I said WTF did you get sprayed? I think it had sprayed and he walked through it. He took his boots off and drove back in his socks. He would set them outside to air out every night. One morning a guy comes out of the room and said dam, you guys must have ran over a skunk, I only smell it when you guys are here!:)

Maybe we need to start a skunk thread. My buddy and I were in Iowa when I smelled one every time, I got close to him.
When we got in the truck, I said WTF did you get sprayed? I think it had sprayed and he walked through it. He took his boots off and drove back in his socks. He would set them outside to air out every night. One morning a guy comes out of the room and said dam, you guys must have ran over a skunk, I only smell it when you guys are here!:)
Funny you mention that birddude, it jogged my memory when my sone and I were in sd in 2016ish after hunting cattails we had a similar experience with my boots. It was like the second day, I left them next to the dumpster and they were still there after we left. All I can figure is I walked thru a spray area, but it was only my boots, not pants or anything else. Damn skunks, those boots were just getting broke in after 20 years of wearing.

Back