Vehicles

birddude

What's your favorite hunting vehicle. I'm thinking of switching to a smaller rig, probably an SUV. Better m.p.g. more comfortable. Only cons I can think of is the smell. Any suggestions?

I've driven nothing but SUV's since the mid 1970's starting with a '73 International Scout, a couple of Ford Broncos, two Jeeps (Cherokee & Grand Wagoneer), 3 Ford Explorers and 2 Ford Expeditions. Last year I sold my latest Expedition and bought a 2021 GMC Acadia. Still has plenty of room for what I need and I love the gas mileage (24-28 Hwy). Like what was said above, the only drawback of a SUV is if your dog gets into a skunk. But I haven't had that happen for over 10 years. I wouldn't let that deter me from getting a SUV. I like having my dog inside, especially in bad weather.

I prefer a pickup just for the chance of getting skunked. Taking 2 to 3 dogs out west would be difficult for an SUV unless you had a larger on and keeps most of the mess out of the passenger area. Did make a trip with son and 2 dogs in Toyota rav4, mileage was nice but very limited on space. On the flipside only have to worry about space coming and going, while hunting no worries. I also was more aware of road conditions as that could be an issue with the SUV. I would look for an SUV with good ground clearance and I'm not sure many can rival the Subaru's. If I only had one dog I would strongly consider it.

Ive driven a z71 Suburban for 25+ years. Theyve never let me down. Back end is all decked out.
If youre running a 4 banger you might save on fuel but there really isnt that much difference in economy be tween mid size and large suv’s.

You guys talk about gas mileage, lol. I have been driving a 96 Landcruiser for 17 years. 12 mpg. Yes gas costs a lot, but I am comfortable, extremely hard to get it stuck. I have 2 large drawers and large platform for kennels. I haven't had depreciation for several years. Actually I paid 10,500 17 years ago. I could get 15k + for it now and it has 410k miles on it.

Last edited:
Bought from mobel strong… only piece I didn’t make. They have 1,3 or 5 gun options. Then screwed to bottom of drawers. I did add more foam to prevent rattling on the road.

You guys talk about gas mileage, lol. I have been driving a 96 Landcruiser for 17 years. 12 mpg. Yes gas costs a lot, but I am comfortable, extremely hard to get it stuck. I have 2 large drawers and large platform for kennels. I haven't had depreciation for several years. Actually I paid 10,500 17 years ago. I could get 15k + for it now and it has 410k miles on it.

Gas mileage is less important when there’s no car payment on top of the price of gas.

Bought from mobel strong… only piece I didn’t make. They have 1,3 or 5 gun options. Then screwed to bottom of drawers. I did add more foam to prevent rattling on the road.
So they secure the guns pretty well on rough roads?

Thanks for the info

I have a 2018 Chevy Colorado diesel. It replaced my 2001 Chevy Suburban z71. I normally get over 25 mpg on highways but I pay a bit more at the pump. I was lucky I bought it before truck prices went crazy.

Yeah, i love my Tacoma. bought new in 2011. I've barely opened the hood for 11 years. I'm retired and I'm tired of trying to organize trips every year. So, I'm anticipating some solos. I want something comfortable with decent mpg. A used Subaru Outback before cvt or a jeep Cherokee are at the top of my list. I would like to buy Merican, but It's hard to argue about the Japs! ( birdman2's Landcruiser)

Back