UPH gun dog challenge

I'm Game

I might show up if there aren't too many rules. Not into the formal field trial thing.

How about a friendly event. A competition for all UPH'ers. A bird dog challenge in which we set the rules the layout and place and time. And have 4 placements with a division for flushers and Pointers.
Count me in!!:cheers:

Count me OUT, with Gunne injured and Tony on the old side of life I will pass..........Bob

I am not really a trail guy but might show up to watch. Good idea.

Count us in...that is if our 'master' can find the time and take off...:p

iketaz-1.jpg

Sounds fun, head west and I'm in.:D

that would be interesting- we should all drive and meet up

but- if that's not in the cards- how about a bunch meet up- say SW Minnesota- couple guys each head out- one has a flusher one has a pointer- they start out together in a large public hunting area and have to be back at the vehicles in one hour- so the next two can go out- when determinded that area is too hard hunted move on to another area

can't see any problem because a lot of folks say they have real good control of their dogs-

at the end of the day everyone gets together- preferably at a camp site- plan the next days event and enjoy the chuckles arround a campfire

interesting right

I am all for it as long as we keep it friendly and not to politically conjested and we can remember it is for fun and no one gets pissed off or maybe if we cant all meet we could figure out different divisions and make a finals wheere all the winners get to run and I would be willing to help with the technicals if you need help

I was thinking a planted bird situation, similar to the gun dog challenge, but use just three. Time it and also penalize for a missed shot. Birds must be delivered to hand. So the dogs that cover the ground and find birds the best and retrieve quick along with some good shooting would prevail and basically have bragging rights for the year on UPH.:D Not too many rules but just basic rules. We could give out a small trophy or prize for the placing dogs. Something UPH related. It would have to be a central location, IA or some where, NE, some place where two fields could be used say a couple twenty acre areas. And there would have to be people willing to switch off planting birds for the runs. No running, simply to keep it fair and safe for all. It would also require enough interest and help. Entry fee would be the cost of the birds and enough to cover the awards. You get nothing out of it but camaraderie, meeting a bunch of UPHers, and bragging rights on the forum till the next one if it goes well. It would take planning, and will most likely be out for this year but be feasible for next early fall late summer or even in the spring when it is still cool, and we are all wanting to shoot something. Pointer guys could make their rules and so can the flusher dudes. It could be a different local I guess depending on where the interest is, and will defiantly have to be in grass lands only with some small brush and trees. You want to keep the cover similar for all dogs and also be free of Canada Rye. So who ever wants to host such a thing would have to be sure of that. I think it can be done and be a good time. It will have to be a Sat and Sun thing most likely. And planed quite a while in advance, by who ever wants to be the committee.

Last edited:
No it is all just an Idea, and would take input from everyone. Lets just keep BSing it over and see what everyone thinks. Anyone who has Ideas for a place, rules ect. post em up. We have plenty of time if we wait till spring. Where ever we have it the people will have to check laws for permits using live birds and ammo etc.

I was thinking a planted bird situation, similar to the gun dog challenge, but use just three. Time it and also penalize for a missed shot. Birds must be delivered to hand. So the dogs that cover the ground and find birds the best and retrieve quick along with some good shooting would prevail and basically have bragging rights for the year on UPH.:D Not too many rules but just basic rules. We could give out a small trophy or prize for the placing dogs. Something UPH related. It would have to be a central location, IA or some where, NE, some place where two fields could be used say a couple twenty acre areas. And there would have to be people willing to switch off planting birds for the runs. No running simple to keep it fair and safe for all. It would also require enough interest and help. Entry fee would be the cost of the birds and enough to cover the awards. You get nothing out of it but camaraderie, meeting a bunch of UPHers, and bragging rights on the forum till the next one if it goes well. It would take planning, and will most likely be out for this year but be feasible for next early fall late summer or even in the spring when it is still cool, and we are all wanting to shoot something. Pointer guys could make their rules and so can the flusher dudes. It could be a different local I guess depending on where the interest is, and will defiantly have to be in grass lands only with some small brush and trees. You want to keep the cover similar for all dogs and also be free of Canada Rye. So who ever wants to host such a thing would have to be sure of that. I think it can be done and be a good time. It will have to be a Sat and Sun thing most likely. And planed quite a while in advance, by who ever wants to be the committee.

Maybe have several regions in the US and take the finals to KS?? I raise a bunch of birds every year and could donate several 100 (quail)
Bobby G

I think in all other organizatoins a pointing lab counts in whatever category you enter it in either pointer or flusher

I think this would be very interesting to say the least and we could all have a big cookout afterwords I would like to do it in the early spring as when i trial and travel i like to sleep in a tent

Back