Unbiased SD report 10/22-10/25

Did you see many of them? I didn’t. Hope there were some!
I didn't hunt lol. I'm not under the age of 17. Its only for youth hunters between the age of 10-17.

I am not in favor of a specialized hunt for any demographic but that is another topic for another thread.

Sorry, I must be confused, I thought someone suggested there was a youth deer hunt in SD, must have meant MN? If SD, did anyone notice the deer hunters? I didn’t notice youth hunters of any kind, with the possible exception of an adult with 2 shorter hunters that could have been kids…they appeared to be pheasant hunting.

Yes. Sorry maybe there was some confusion about this. You indicated you were surprised there weren't more MN hunters and kids during MEA.
Out pheasant hunting in SD…yes, over the past 29 years, pretty common thing for a dad to bring some boys out to SD over a long weekend, especially early in the season when the temps are decent.

I'm from Iowa and I personally applaud SD on the way they split their season. If you are about helping the local economy out it makes complete sense. What do the Minneapolis hunter's bring into the Iowa's economy? They fill their tank with gas the night before, pack their cooler and head south on I-35 at 5:30 in the morning. Hunting by 8. Turn around and head home in the afternoon, not even stopping to spend a nickel in the state. You can't compare it to MN's fishing as most of your lakes that people are going to are north of the cities and you don't have Iowan's traveling there for a single day.

Out pheasant hunting in SD…yes, over the past 29 years, pretty common thing for a dad to bring some boys out to SD over a long weekend, especially early in the season when the temps are decent.
I don't disagree. I was simply stating that perhaps you didn't see that because there was a youth deer season here during that time period instead.

I don't disagree. I was simply stating that perhaps you didn't see that because there was a youth deer season here during that time period instead.
Could be, didn’t notice any youth deer hunters myself…wouldn’t have kept me home if I had a kid or two that wanted to go bird hunting over a 4 day weekend…

My take on bird #’s is that they’re down 30-40%…at least where I hunt in SD. I suspect 2/3 of chicks died…ND areas I hunted were flush with pheasants, on par with last year…oodles of them.
What was so different in North Dakota compared to South Dakota in terms of weather and pheasant survival?

Back