UA upland pants

I went a completely different route this year and actually like it. I bought some 5.11 gear pants. They are a rip-stop material and so far have been pretty wind resistent. Threw some chaps on and most comfortable pant I've hunted in. Not promoting but here is the pant on their website: http://www.511tactical.com/tdu-pants-ripstop.html.

the under armour pants are nowhere near worth the 100.00 price tag i bought a pair this year and yes they are moistuer proof to a point, but the thornes and briars go right through them. they are very comfortable and fit over boots great. if youre just hunting at the local hunt club on a perfect groomed walk path and whant to look cool then ya they are great. i will stick with my double knee carhartt pants for 45.00.

I went a completely different route this year and actually like it. I bought some 5.11 gear pants. They are a rip-stop material and so far have been pretty wind resistent. Threw some chaps on and most comfortable pant I've hunted in. Not promoting but here is the pant on their website: http://www.511tactical.com/tdu-pants-ripstop.html.

i wear these every day at work, never thought about trying them in the field. as JMc stated, would need some chaps if hunting in any cover that would be considered somewhat nasty. they seem to hold up pretty well doing building maint/construction projects.

I have been through lots of different pants, Filson's, LL Bean, Carhart, Columbia to name a few. Never tried the UA but doubt I would even consider them.

This is what I have settled on - http://www.amazon.com/Carhartt-Cordura-Front-Dungaree-Brown/dp/B002GF85FE

I'm in year 5 or 6 of these and they are none the worse for wear. They provide protection, are loose enough to be able to move easily over logs, up steep embankments, under and over fences and have been incredibly tough.

I sort of like the Filson tin cloth pants bu they are so stiff even after years of wear that I gave up. The Beans were nice but didn't last 5 years. These Carhartt's are cheap, keep the thorns and briars out and haven't worn out. The one drawback is they aren't the quietest things with the cordura fronts but not bad.

Anyone have Under Armour upland pants? How do you like them? Seen some at Scheels but didn't have my size.

Read some reviews on them and they were not very good. i think for the price there are a lot better options.

i will say this, they were without a dout the lightest, and most comfortable non-binding upland pants ive worn and like i said they fit over boots great, they we not the usual tapperd strait leg nut hugger 1980's hit high jeans that we are all used to wearing, they had a much better, up to date athletic fit with tons of leg room. its the protective field durability that they greatly lack. i really wanted to like them and i will still wear them but only on nice dry days and only if i know im gonna just hunt in light grassy cover. under armour makes great deer hunting and waterfowl clothing, but they missed the upland stuff bye a long shot. the vest and two upland jackets are totaly worthless.

I dont know about the UA upland stuff, but if they hold up like the tennis shoes I bought my son, I wouldnt touch them.

I kinda stepped out of the box on this one. When it gets cold and nasty outside, I wear a pair of Frabil ice fishing bibs. They are light, waterproof, windproof and have articulated knees. They tighten around my ankles so I can keep snow out of my boots.

One think I noticed when wearing chaps is on a dewy morning, your crotch gets wet. The chaps dont cover your crotch..........and that can get icy! I am not into wearing a diaper when I hunt.

DSCN3198_zpsbf31c941.jpg

lol thats funny,,, ice fishing bibs is a good idea, im getting ready to venture out to a couple small areas. im gonna see how much cold i can stand.

Well, you dot want to use the new floating ice suits. That would be way to warm...........and funny looking. But this is what I will use for now on. This is my second season using the frabils.

I agree...the UA upland stuff is nothing more than high price garbage...if your a rich banker that goes to a hunting preserve once a year for an over priced tower shoot...go for it. If you actually use your equipment in the field every day and need something that performs choose something that's proven and alot cheaper. UA has people soo brainwashed these days that anything with their logo on it sells and sells well. I'm way past the stage in my life where I buy things to be cool or because its popular. I buy things that work....and the cheaper the better...lol:cheers: during the summer there was a very nice baseball cap at Scheels that I wanted...it was bright blue and matched my Harley perfectly....I looked at it every time I went there...which was several lol....anyway...I refused to this day to buy it because its UA.....they have enough money....I'm not giving them any of mine...I have alot of UA stuff don't get me wrong. They have alot of nice stuff...most of it was gifts or free from a connection I used to have with them at my previous job. maybe I just put too much thought into it.

Last edited:
the UA upland stuff is nothing more than high price garbage

I have to disagree here.

Under Armor is a marketing company first. I suspect most of their manufacturing is tolled out to sub-suppliers. You need to inspect any product they make. Obviously UA had to branch out from sports underwear if the company was to grow.

The sports underwear that I have purchased for my children (hockey, football, and soccer) has performed well and been passed down from child-to-child and has been largely uni-sex. Like anything UA underwear can be purchased discounted. We have no regrets on these purchases.

Tennis shoes - kids did not want.

I did purchase a camo sweatshirt for my son that has also performed well for waterfowling. Holding up well. The design fit him really well without extra fabric in the arms or torso. Under Armor tends to make everything rather slim fit. It works for him, their products don't fit my "old man body, with extra belly", so I do not wear UA stuff

I wear jeans for the most part. Some times jeans/pants with the cordura nylon face (should wear them all the time, but sometimes I am lazy. Grouse woods briars or pheasant field thistle makes be regret this laziness).

If it is wet out I wear my older pair of Cablea's rain pants (Gore-Tex) and this works well straight up or over jeans. This is what I wear in the winter / snow also. Keeps me warm and dry. Works for me.

The rain pants are also easy to slip off if heading into town for lunch. :thumbsup:

a 45.00 pair of carhartt double knee cotton duck weather washed relaxed fit pants have been the stongest, most comfortable upland pant i have bought yet. i have owned cabelas, bass pro, scheels, under armour, wrangler, and staffords, they all have one thing in common,,,,,FAIL.

Back