Turn out the lights

My nemesis in my later years are those d___d badger holes. Last year I stepped into one and shattered my ankle/foot. I was stuck so tight that if my wife hadn't been there to pry it out I would have been a carcass in that field. Not a season goes by without at least one badger hole incident it seems. At least hunting desert quail, it is not an issue!

Yup, another bird season behind. This time of year sucks. Fishing is a couple of months out here and nothing left to hunt. I had a great year though, with the exception of an extremely hot archery elk hunt last September. Other than that I have no complaints except next fall is so far away.

Attachments

• IMG_5672.jpeg
    IMG_5672.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_3523.jpeg
    IMG_3523.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_3568.jpeg
    IMG_3568.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_7908.jpeg
    IMG_7908.jpeg
    403.2 KB · Views: 11
  • FullSizeR.jpeg
    FullSizeR.jpeg
    655.3 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0371.jpeg
    IMG_0371.jpeg
    1,002.7 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0674.jpeg
    IMG_0674.jpeg
    291.7 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0078.jpeg
    IMG_0078.jpeg
    173.9 KB · Views: 13
We still have 11 days left in our quail season here in Texas.

I’m taking a father/son quail hunting on Saturday, and this will be the young man’s first time to hunt quail with pointing dogs. No, I’m not a guide. I just get asked if I’ll take people bird hunting, a lot, which I always do, especially with young hunters. I played football against the dad in high school, and he saw a pup that I’d raised at a friend’s house. So he contacted me to see if I’d take him and his son hunting.

The temperatures are going to be warm next week, so this may be the last hunt of the year for the dogs and I.

Yup, another bird season behind. This time of year sucks. Fishing is a couple of months out here and nothing left to hunt. I had a great year though, with the exception of an extremely hot archery elk hunt last September. Other than that I have no complaints except next fall is so far away.
It gets worse every year too. Each season gets better as I dedicate more time to upland birds and each off season spending more time wanting to go hunting.

This year I'm getting into reloading as a way to do something in the off season while producing something of value for hunting. Also going to try hitting the clays more as soon as it warms up.

Back