Truck Question

Curious

Ford or Chevy?? Just kidding :D Just trying to get some opinions not bring the site down. At a youth event yesterday some of the guys were talking trucks, specifically interiors. Cloth or leather and bucket seats vs. a bench. Would like to hear what some of the people on this forum have to say on those two questions. What do you have now and why? Thanks

JG

I looked long and far for my latest Suburban with the Z71 package and a second row bench / not buckets. I only found 2 in the country. ( I shouldve bought the other one). I immediately take out the 3rd row bench to put in the 2 dog crates. With a family of four, four seats are not enough. Bad enough we can only take one other person...in a Suburban.

Leather all the way..no more cloth

I'd take a Ford with buckets and leather. Buckets are generally more comfortable and leather cleans up easier than cloth.

Agree. Ford recently claimed it ran a new eco-boost powered F-150 250,000 miles, disassembled the engine and could find no measureable wear. I had 4.0L OHC V-6 powered '97 Explorer that at 280,000 miles used but 1/2 qt. of oil between 5,000 mile changes. Good rigs.

I have better luck with Fords lately. I have had GMC pick-ups and three Suburbans, two gas one diesel. The Diesel 4x4 was the best, go anywhere do anything vehicle. But now days I find the super/club/4 door pick-up works the best for my off-on road and grocery getter. Sad to say now days I can't have a dedicated off-road truck.

I have a supercrew with buckets in the front and bench in the back. I looked at a King Ranch that had buckets in the back, but knew it would never work for me.

Leather...

Seeing a vehicle with between 2 and 300,000 miles these days is quit common, no matter the brand.

Transmission and front steering parts will be what gives in the most trouble when the miles start to add up.

I haven't had a 1/2 ton in the last 27-28 years. Just have always bought 3/4 ton's or 1 ton's.

I like Mobile 1 15,000 mile Syn. oil for gas engines and Mobile Delvac 1300 for my diesel's.

Leather vs cloth....the only down fall's of leather are cold to sit on in the winter and not the best when a person is soak and wet. Either way, it wouldn't be a deal decider for me either way.

Ford IMO, has always had auto transmission issues when the miles add up Their E4 OD had a reputation for failure in fleet service vehicles. A guy I knew that had a fleet of step cube vans in service kept two spare transmissions on hand at all times.

In the diesel engine category. Fords new in house built motor has yet to prove itself. The 6.0 liter had plenty of issues, even though it was still built by IH. The Durmax had most it's issues addressed over it's time. The Cummins has no equal, it rules in longevity and fuel milage. The Ford built motor had some teething issues. #1 was engine trouble with long term idling. A friend sell's ambulances and they had trouble even getting the 6.7's at one time because of this issue and Ford halting shipment until they could remedy the problem. I still think it has promise. Some are getting real good fuel mileage with the 6.7

As far as gas engine options. Not much of a V6 person. It's a matter of physics. You simply can't make a V6 perform as a V8 in the gas engine application. All brands have great V8 options that will service you for a long time pretty much service free other then oil and filter changes.

I'm loyal to no brand and have had good luck with them all. That just kills some. They are so set in their ways. You have to drive a certain brand, be it truck, car, boat, ATV, motorcycle, vote a certain way, shoot a certain brand gun, Etc, Etc, Etc...I think in the end. They just like to fight and argue.

Buy whatever trips your trigger and enjoy it. That's all that counts. It should have no baring on acceptance by your piers.

I'd take a Ford with buckets and leather. Buckets are generally more comfortable and leather cleans up easier than cloth.

+2

I have a F150 Lariat equipped very similar to George's Expedition. I'm now officially an "old guy" and comfort on long trips gets more important to 'ya. Especially on a 1,000+ mi drive Out West each fall.

The new 10-way adjustable leather buckets are da bomb. I have back aches in other kinds of seats but not in my new truck.:10sign:

NB

89 4 runner!!! Most of you have had to see it because everyone is passing my @$$ left and right!!!! 4 banger and only 195 thousand miles!!!! Chain it up and get out of my way!!!! Otherwise, I am tired of smelling your exhaust!!!

89 4 runner!!! Most of you have had to see it because everyone is passing my @$$ left and right!!!! 4 banger and only 195 thousand miles!!!! Chain it up and get out of my way!!!! Otherwise, I am tired of smelling your exhaust!!!

Wow Bleu,

I didn't know you where a jap, and a four banger to boot. LOL I bet it runs like a raped skunk.:thumbsup: I had a scout four banger that would go everywhere. I some times miss that rig.:cheers:

Can't pass up free !!!!!! I love going downhill or a tailwind!!!!!!!!!

speaking of raped skunks.....the 2004 dodge cummins diesel I had boasted 600 foot lbs of torque. the 6.7 in the F350 that's coming is rated at 800. I thought 600 was a lot:eek:

The 6.7 liter Ford does have impressive numbers. It's quite and gets good fuel mileage. Nice looking truck too.

What has left me scratching my head with the F350's is the rear leaf springs. I have seen F350's have from 3 leafs all the way to 5 leafs and a over load. I have seen some F350s with a bad case of the sags with hardly a load on. Whats up with that Ford?

Back