Truck cap or no truck cap? Pros and Cons

I thought about getting a soft topper for mine but then I remembered the wind gusts through northern Nevada, Utah, and Wyoming. I wonder how it would hold up?

I thought about getting a soft topper for mine but then I remembered the wind gusts through northern Nevada, Utah, and Wyoming. I wonder how it would hold up?

I live in WI but have had no problems with wind or snow. My truck sits outside through summer storms and has held up great. Had some straight line winds come through and tear off siding on a few of my neighbor's houses. No damage to the cap.

Hello all,
Just curious to see what everyone's opinion is on having a truck cap or not having one. I haven't decided if I should get one yet or not. I'm fairly new to upland hunting. What do you like about having a cap or by not having one. Is it a must have or just an added luxury? I looked through the threads and didn't find any like this so if there is and I missed it please point me in that direction. I mainly hunt pheasant and currently have a pick up with a Owens dog box. Any input on truck caps is appreciated.

Thanks

I've had experience with toppers, without and with SUV's. I personally think if you are going to be doing a lot of upload hunting you have to have a topper. Its the best place to put a wet smelly dog, birds and gear. The next best to get an SUV. I currently have a Ford Expedition so we fit two dog crates in the back for 3 dogs. It works almost as good but can get pretty smelly at times.

Here are a few pics of my Softopper. Can't say enough about it. Light weight, easy to fold or remove if needed.

When I see dark colored caps I worry about excess heat on the dogs.

softopper

That soft topper looks neat but it does not look like there is anyway to really secure your gear. I suppose you could lock it, but a thief could just cut right through the material.

As stated above, toppers have real advantages when it comes to storing equipment. In my case, they also offer disadvantages, since I use my truck as a truck year-'round. If you have no need to routinely haul things that won't fit under a canopy, a topper would be a fine option. Personally, my dog & gear ride inside of the cab; I also don't like the numerous blind spots that a mounted canopy creates.

Started out in the '80s with a Suburban...

I started out in the 80's with a Suburban with two of the plastic airline dog crates in the back. Hunted ducks and pheasant with two Labs. It worked but as has been mentioned, it can get really stinky in there. Driving back home for 6+ hours with the aroma of stinking marsh mud really isn't that pleasant.

On top of that, the two dog crates side by side at the rear of the vehicle blocked easy access to a lot of the storage room. I was always sliding kennels in and out to get to my gear.

In the 90s I went to Ford pickups with cappers. My hunting buddy and I figured we'd do a longitudinal kennel that took up just half of the bed, all on one side. It made it real easy to get to gear on the open side of the pickup bed.

The attached pics show the present rig. Still using that original kennel. It's generic corn cribbing which is strong enough that we tie down big Rubbermaid storage containers on top of it using bungee cords when making the long drive to SD. We welded up a simple door that has held up for 20+ years. I have a half gallon bucket of water strapped to the inside which we refill as needed from a 5 gallon jerry can. The jerry can fits exactly between the kennel door and closed tailgate. With the tailgate locked, you can't open the kennel. That's all by design. The bottom has the restaurant rubber pads with drain holes to let the water go through and run out the tailgate after swims. We usually put some old rugs or carpets in there when making the long drives to keep it soft and comfy.

It's a dark capper but we've never had heat problems even though we have hunted some pretty darn hot opening weeks. Capper has a front window and side windows and when it's hot we open them all and leave the rear window fully open.

There's a 70 pound black lab in the kennel in the picture. We have actually had 5 Labs in there at once when moving between fields (very short periods). That's pretty crowded but three fit in there very easily and four is not bad. They all can lay down but with 4 they will be touching. Three will have their own space. We have our own line and have had for decades. One of the results of the breeding is that they get along with other dogs. We have no fighters; they know what they are supposed to do: hunt.

Anyway, that's been my solution since about 1995 or so.

P9130200%201_zpsnqhgwygy.jpg

P9130201%201_zpshem67s8q.jpg

Last edited:
That soft topper looks neat but it does not look like there is anyway to really secure your gear. I suppose you could lock it, but a thief could just cut right through the material.

You are correct as it does not offer added security. You wouldn't have to cut through it as you could just unzip the rear window. It is the same amount of security a Jeep with a soft top has. I have a shelf in the bed that the kennels sit on. With my tailgate locked the only way to get under the shelf would be to cut through it. Once Decked comes out with a model for the Tacoma I will be switching to that. Decked with the Softopper is the best combination for me.

I recently put a Leer topper on my 2004 Silverado. Couldn't be happier with that decision. It was a used model with sliding side windows and it protects my dog when she's back there in her crate. I also have a fan setup so it runs off the trailer hitch plugin and keeps the temp down during the summer. It'll be a good place to throw her during the season when I've run her hard and she needs a break. I have also recently had a Leer Locker installed. It attaches to the roof of the topper and stores all my stuff along with my guns. It's up, out of the way and locks securely. Google the name and you'll see what I mean. I was about $700 but well worth it and much cheaper then the slide drawers that fit on the bed itself.

ARE OTR Optional Coating?

Does anyone have experience with the ARE OTR coating? I was curious if it was like a rhino liner grade or something cheaper / less protective? If i were to get a topper, I would be taking it on/off as I wouldn't want it on for daily needs...just hunting, camping, vacation trips for lockable storage out of the weather. I like the idea of added warmth for the dogs and lack of snow/water/etc and ability to store/organize much more. I was thinking a rhino lined option (if it were that tough) would really hold up well and not scratch/ding like a traditional painted topper.

Our upland trips are always later season so excessive warmth isn't really a concern.

http://www.4are.com/product/otr_option/

Never knew there were so many options for a truck cap. Maybe my next truck with be a pick up truck after all. Thanks for sharing.

Back