Truck cap or no truck cap? Pros and Cons

Hello all,
Just curious to see what everyone's opinion is on having a truck cap or not having one. I haven't decided if I should get one yet or not. I'm fairly new to upland hunting. What do you like about having a cap or by not having one. Is it a must have or just an added luxury? I looked through the threads and didn't find any like this so if there is and I missed it please point me in that direction. I mainly hunt pheasant and currently have a pick up with a Owens dog box. Any input on truck caps is appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited:
Wild wing, where are you from? That might help us better give you suggestions. If you are in an extreme climate where cold and frostbite can be an issue, the topper is nice to help keep the elements away. I have found that even if they are in a topper or not, having a kennel cover that wraps around the kennel and zips up is the best way to keep them warm on cold days or long drives. I just bought a new truck and was going to buy a topper but found out one of my kennels fits under the tonneau cover perfectly so I am going to buy another kennel just like that one and then be able to cover them with the tonneau and the kennel cover if necessary.

That is a nice truck you have. Thanks for your thoughts on this topic. A cap or tonneau cover would be nice to keep stuff dry. I have an extended cab Chevy so the back seat fills up pretty quick

I have always had a topper on my trucks as I think they offer more options. I have built hidden storage and sleeping platforms ( I was a lot younger then).
You can get them in the same color as the truck, but they are an additional cost

Whatever you choose good luck and hunt often :D

Just a cautionary thought:

I still remember 40 years ago, trying to resuscitate an English Setter puppy from heat prostration after the owner left it in a station wagon---doors, tailgate, and windows open--on a hot and sunny day. Owner said he was gone a couple of hours. The water dish was spilled in the crate.

Still bothers me that I could not bring the pup back.

So, the tonneau cover reduces the amount of air, and air flow, available to the dogs in there, and at least in Wisconsin, we get erratic weather patterns that can be unseasonably warm.

I'm not suggesting anyone here is careless, but the image is still so vivid, I offer it as an additional consideration.

My best wishes.

I like the topper to keep the elements out. I'm in Colorado and it can get pretty cold. I have a Leer topper and also use the kennel cover. In the summer, windows open and fan on the pup. They make kennel fans but I went to Home Depot and got a Ryobi fan with a couple of batteries. Nice fan, 2 speeds and will last 4-5 hours on a charge. It even has a hook that will attach to the door. I also built a 2 drawer system out of wood that I bolt the kennel to. Gives me room for guns out of the way and equipment and stabilizes the kennel. :cheers:

Truck cap.....

I have a 2007 Toyota Tacoma...now, with a brand new frame under it...looks like I'll be driving it another 120000 miles!

My third Tacoma with a topper/cap- I have the Unicover Safari Pro...only because they are made in Iowa! A couple of "must haves" for me....:

Side opening windows- access to stuff up toward the front.
Sliding, screened windows for air flow.
Front slider window- air flow again...
Roof rack- I installed a Yakima system myself- carries kayaks, rooftop storage box, deer stand ladders, etc!!
"Modular" storage system- again, my own design....I can carry two large dog crates near the front, with storage underneath- the normal hunting season set up...or replace that with a full modular sleeping platform...or half sleeping, half storage, etc.

Also, the truck has a 120 volt outlet in the bed- nice to have for the hot Iowa summers, or traveling to the prairies in the warm September weather.

Generally speaking....I suspect I need the "topper" feature 95% of the time...and an open bed only 5% of the time! A small utility trailer works for the 5%...

Pics available.

Good luck!

Leer toppers are fiberglass and really nice but can be heavy if you are putting them on and taking them off. Aluminum are cheaper and lighter, just depends on your budget.

I also agree with the comment on leaving dogs in a hot environment. I would never put a dog under a tonneau cover in the hot parts of the fall. But on those brisk mornings it would be nice to provide a little extra protection until the day warms then the cover can be rolled back and left open.

If you get a topper and have the dogs back there, you have to be able to see what the temperature is back there. Heat is a killer of dogs, unfortunately I know this from first hand experience. Ventilation can get blocked, broken or blown shut, so you have to be able to read the temperature at all times. You will never forgive yourself if you have an accident with this.

If you get a topper and have the dogs back there, you have to be able to see what the temperature is back there. Heat is a killer of dogs, unfortunately I know this from first hand experience. Ventilation can get blocked, broken or blown shut, so you have to be able to read the temperature at all times. You will never forgive yourself if you have an accident with this.

I use the remote thermometers that are designed for your house. Put the thermometer in the dog box put the receiver in the cab. always know how cold or warm it is where your dog is at.

Dukhnter7 and Steingre I would love to see pictures of how you have everything set up.

I would assume that taking a topper on and off is a two person job?? The other problem with taking it on and off is storage. How do you handle that?

Thanks

I have used a topper for years with no issues. Side opening windows are a must for ventilation. I'm afraid the tonneau cover would not give enough fresh air for the dogs. In extreme cold it might be ok but with no way to ventilate I'd be afraid of it.

Going to give a shout out to soft topper (Google it). Obviously pros and cons to everything, but I like mine.

Easy set up, fast take down, cheaper than fiberglass, and can be well vented.

It is ugly, but it's practical and versatile. Kinda like my mutt ;-)

Going to give a shout out to soft topper (Google it). Obviously pros and cons to everything, but I like mine.

Easy set up, fast take down, cheaper than fiberglass, and can be well vented.

It is ugly, but it's practical and versatile. Kinda like my mutt ;-)

I have a Softopper on my Tacoma and love it. Best truck accessory I have ever bought. Can't add pics while at work but I will try to remember when I get home.

Back