Trespass law

mgorvi

It will be interesting to watch a new trespass bill work it’s way through the 2019 legislative session. I’ve never hunted ND, but it’s on my list. I’ll have to do a review on the rules before I go. I spend some time in the ditches here and there in SD, and I’m sure the rules are different, and could change again if the trespass/land posting law changes. Their season opens pretty early so I want to camp at Lake Hoskins and kayak fish and hunt around that area in October. Be good to bring some walleye home along with a few birds. My dog would rather fish than hunt if the weather is good.

If land is not posted in ND it can be hunted without permission from the land owner. If the law is changed, ND would be the same as surrounding states. Maybe it’s mostly all posted anyway, but it would be a significant change. I’d like to spend some time there because the license is for two seven day periods, and you can hunt pheasants from sunrise to sunset. When you get old its nice to be able to hunt for a couple hours early, take a nap, eat lunch, and then go back out. It’s also nice to throw your kayak in the truck and fish so you can give the legs a rest.

I have hunted ND for the last 11 years. I have seen a steady increase of land being posted. In the area I hunt , this won't really affect me. I have had farmers tell me the reason they don't post property is because when they do , their phones ring constantly during hunting season. ND is the only place I've ever been that you can hunt land thats not posted. Its a nice option but I rarely hunt private land that isn't posted. The PLOTS , WPA , and private that I have permission to hunt its usually more than enough. If I owned private land there , it would be posted.

I’m anxious to give ND a try. I had a trip planned last season but my dad passed last fall. I have relatives in the Forman area I would visit, and then head west from there to some better walleye area. I have no idea what to expect as far as bird numbers and hunting pressure, but it would be fun to stay on the move in my cargo trailer camper and experience a different state.

I hunt ND early in the season each fall and it seems that much of the unposted land land gets posted as deer season approaches.

Please go to the pheasant hunting section and see ND access in jeapardy thread

I provided the method to help keep the law as it currently is

Please take a few minutes to compose an email and send it

It is ESPECIALLY IMPORTANT for any North Dakota residents on this site to contact their actual state representative, state senator, Governor and the ND Game & Fish Department with opposition to the bill.

Voting constituents carry more clout.

I would advise any nonresidents that hunt in ND that oppose this bill to call or email the hotel or lodging owner and inform them of the bill and how it may impact your visiting ND in the future.

This same type of law adversely affected my bird hunting in MT in the 90's when the same thing happened. It is not a good deal for the hunters and ice fishermen of the state.

IMO. This bill and house bill 1428 will dramatically change hunting in ND for the worse. Which will dramatically affect both conservation and small town economies as well. Contact your legislators!

Pleas email the politicians at the addresses supplied and let them know

If you aren’t part of the solution you are part of the problem

Please take the time to email them

Joel Heitkamp is hosting three groups who are pushing to get this bill passed on his radio show at 0900 today. Call in comments will be taken. 701-237-5848. Call in about 10 to 9 to make sure your opposition gets registered. You know these groups will have their supporters lined up calling. KFGO 790 out of Fargo.

The bill as introduced has been “hog housed” or completely rewritten. New version should be available for viewing late today. If the new version is what Sen Eberle said it is, I can support the compromise.

It loaded, but it is just a podcast and does not show any actual rewrites.

I would be careful accepting a bill that exempted hunters since it would be confusing to many landowners and would likely create confrontations. It would also set up a bill revision 2 years from now adding hunters to the list and closing the loop.

Kinda like gun control laws, give up something and they eventually strive to take it all.

Here's some info regarding the rewrite as posted by Remo on the Upland Journal Forum

"Update: The Ag Committee just hog housed the bill by striking all language and inserting wording for a voluntary electronic data base. The choices would be POSTED, ASK FIRST, OPEN. It is going to be chit storm to try to implement that one. More to come.

Pretty obvious the bill sponsors did not have the votes to go all no trespass."

G&F would be responsible for the implementation of this "project" and also the updating the database. And guess who's paying for it? Us. As I said on the UJ, I don't mind paying a few extra $$ for habitat or conservation projects, but this database would be a nightmare updating and maintaining. Just bad law IMO.

If you want to keep up on this Bill, I highly suggest you follow the developments that are updated by Remo on the Upland Journal Forum. Here's the link:

http://uplandjournal.ipbhost.com/topic/68983-hunting-nd-maybe-not/

Lot's of good info and comments.

Best,

Greg

Rewritten bill is a bigger mess and pro guide /outfitter. It will essentially create more problems than ever before. Expected to go to Senate floor for a vote next week.

Back