treasures in the field

My wife, I married the farmers daughter. We have been married now for 53 years, 54 come May. Yes it has been interesting............Bob

Bob,

Congratulations!

I too married a farmer's daughter 38 years ago. She said she would never marry a farmer, but did.

Chicken Shack

Scared somebody will put a hit on ya from clear over here? :)

Chicken Annies, Chicken Mary's, or Barto's Idle Hour? Got a preference?

Which chicken shack do you recommend. I want to head down there and eat at the best one. My friend says Chicken Mary's is it.

Scared somebody will put a hit on ya from clear over here? :)

Chicken Annies, Chicken Mary's, or Barto's Idle Hour? Got a preference?

Chicken Mary's; I lived on it when I was in school at PSU in the lates 1970's, the Chicken Shack in Bronson is the best.

Chicken Mary's; I lived on it when I was in school at PSU in the lates 1970's, the Chicken Shack in Bronson is the best.

Ooh, hadn't thought about the Chicken Shack in Bronson in ages. Had a college friend who's sister waitressed there. Don't speed through that town, they'll get ya.

This was nothing that I found in the field but it is an interesting bit of trivia regarding the fields we hunt. One of the fields that I use to hunt a lot was the field in which Payne Stewart's plane crashed.

found

Found a Moose skull some years back here in the big woods when I was out Grouse hunting.

Last season I found the electronic part of a beeper collar that fell apart
on the trail back out to the truck. Picked it up, soldered the wires back in & am still using it.

Don't think anybody can beat bobeyerite's "find" of the farmer's daughter! :10sign:

Most interesting thing I ever found was on a desert quail hunt near Columbus, NM on the Mexican border 15-20 yrs ago...Stubbed my boot toe on something, happened to glance down & saw the top of an old flat/clear-glass bottle barely protruding from very hard dirt...Stopped & dug it out (being a mild collector of old bottles & other such historic memorabilia of the past) - I knew I was onto something when after washing the bottle off a bit with my drinking-water flask, the clear/raised-labeling etched into glass read "Thomas A. Edison" & "Battery Oil"...Thought to myself, "Hmm, never heard of any battery during my lifetime that requires oil" & "Definitely NEVER heard of a Thomas Edison product"...After checking around a bit & talking with the very-small local Columbus museum - turned out to be a container for the battery oil used in very OLD U.S. military vehicles when they were sent down around the turn-of-the-century (early 1900's) to try & chase down Poncho Villa...Still have the bottle on my shelf & it is one of my favorite incidental "finds" of 50 yrs on this earth so far! A nice momento of a very good mixed-bag day for scaled/"blue" & Gambel's quail too! :thumbsup:

After this closing wknd of the CO pheasant season, somebody else's favorite find on this thread may be a nice heavily-insulated camo waterproof/"Scent-Lock" jacket found in the field! :eek: :eek:

Nope, can't beat getting a farmers daughter.

Found some junk though. All treasures to me.:)

p10100142.jpg

p10100102.jpg

those are some cool pictures mnmthunting i bet the old game bag gets heavy walking around with all the stuff you find , what kind of gun is the one with out the stock if you can tell?

Yup I've had lots of fun finding old junk, a story behind everything.

The old gun is a lever action Henry, later Civil war model. One of the first repeating rifles.

OK here is the story.
I was on a hike doing a Antelope hunt in North Central Montana. I see a couple boulders about the size of a washing machine in the expanse of the Sage hills. I wonder over not thinking much of it, there are rocks here and there. Right between the rocks that are about 4 ft apart I see a little exposed rusty metal. I dig out the old gun. I found a couple fired cartridges while digging. The gun is cocked and has a live round in the chamber. Funniest thing, a gold ring right next to the trigger. I spent a while scraping around and found a couple silver medallion type things.

So what do you suppose the rest of the story is?

I figured that would bring a comment from those in the know. A guy has to be careful.

If we are talking last meal, I will take Chicken Annie's at Yale. Been a long long time since I have been there.

Im guessing a meth lab?? Unfortunately we have too many of those around here in the sticks. Plenty out your way too.

For me it'd just be some old bottles, and some old turn of the century or late 1800's farmsteads and the junk laying around them. I dont pick much up, usually leave it as is.

I like old license plates and have found quite a few from the late 40's early 50's...all KS plates. I'll pick those up.

Old bottles are another one. There was a WIHA that was in the program for 2 or 3 years but was taken off this year (It was a good one, and go figure it was leased by private people this year :( ). It had an old farmstead in the middle of a very thick grove of trees, all that was left was the foundations of the house, barn, etc...and a cellar. There was a ton of old bottles strewn around. I really wanted to go down in the cellar to look around but I didnt have a light and figured it'd be a good place for rattlesnakes to hole up in a den.

Grabbed a couple bottles, have them in the kitchen...need to read about how to clean them up.

Not too far away was an old cemetary from the late 1800's early 1900's, about 30 stones I think, looked like a disease went through the community in the 20's as one year there was a lot of elderly and children that died. Would like to know the story.

Friends grandpa has a bunch of old Indian flint tools, some of them are a few hundred years old I believe. I was told about them this year, but havent got a chance to see what he has yet. I guess its several boxes/buckets full of settler era artifacts all the way back to Indian artifacts that would have been around before any white man set foot on the US. The chalk bluffs have lots of fossils. Id like to spend more time exploring them.

I found the "fishing" at the strip pits to be very good, but there could be a different interpretation of "hook, line and SINKER". ;)

Yup I've had lots of fun finding old junk, a story behind everything.

The old gun is a lever action Henry, later Civil war model. One of the first repeating rifles.

OK here is the story.
I was on a hike doing a Antelope hunt in North Central Montana. I see a couple boulders about the size of a washing machine in the expanse of the Sage hills. I wonder over not thinking much of it, there are rocks here and there. Right between the rocks that are about 4 ft apart I see a little exposed rusty metal. I dig out the old gun. I found a couple fired cartridges while digging. The gun is cocked and has a live round in the chamber. Funniest thing, a gold ring right next to the trigger. I spent a while scraping around and found a couple silver medallion type things.

So what do you suppose the rest of the story is?

If only those rocks could talk.

Yup, only the rocks know for sure.

I have thought about what events could have taken place.

My theory, The guy was a lone buffalo hunter. [This is the region of the last great buffalo herds]
Ambushed by a small band of Indians and badly wounded the hunter took cover by the rocks. Being a good shot with the rifle the hunter killed or wounded a couple of his attackers.
Being they were passing though they didn't like the risk, even though they would have loved to have that rifle. The Indians decided to move on.

The Buffalo hunter died with his finger on the trigger.

Back