treasures in the field

My wife, I married the farmers daughter. We have been married now for 53 years, 54 come May. Yes it has been interesting............Bob

Skulls Found

Found several skulls: horse, deer, and a cow. The cow skull had several .30 caliber holes in it.

A dead badger â?? first of the species I'd seen. Impressive fangs and fingernails. (Good to know whose dens we keep stepping in.)

On the human history side of things, there is a creek-bordered, large corn field in NE Kansas which has a small, wooded "island" near a far corner. In there is a headstone â?? clearly hand-chiseled â?? dating from the 1850s. It's a nice setting with a touching, humble, very personal memorial. Challenging times to have been a Kansan, and pheasants were still cackling in Chinese at that point.

Not really a good thing to find, but it is amazing the number of dead deer we find in the sloughs after rifle season.

Found an old TriTronics Field 70 transmitter...the owner is still missing :D. Congrats Bob, on going 54. Of course you're not really telling us the real story...you know, where the farmer caught you in the hayloft with his daughter; shotgun wedding; the real deal...:p

My wife, I married the farmers daughter. We have been married now for 53 years, 54 come May. Yes it has been interesting............Bob

Thats Awesome Bob congratulations :10sign: :cheers:

Found an old TriTronics Field 70 transmitter...the owner is still missing :D. Congrats Bob, on going 54. Of course you're not really telling us the real story...you know, where the farmer caught you in the hayloft with his daughter; shotgun wedding; the real deal...:p

I wonder if he got a new shotgun as a wedding gift. :D

Ok guys, here is the truth. I was 21 and she was 18. I was still in the Navy. We just started dating and I gave her an engagement ring at lunch in the 1st national Bank Bldg. Where she worked. She and I went to her home after her work to show her parents. It was one of my off days from the Navy. Her mother looked at the ring and said nothing. Her father said, "You stupid kids" and that was it. Then her mother said you 2 are going to be married on the 12th of May. I have no idea what the date meant or mean, but it was more than a year away. But we waited like good young adults of the day and get married on that date in 1956. I was honorably discharged from the Navy of 3 Dec. 1955, my 4 years were up..........Bob

Once while sprinting down a very minimum maintance road in the middle of nowhere, SD behind my then young black lab...I happened to look down and see a leather wallet half burried in the dirt. Tossed it in the vest.

Guy was also from the Twin Cities - I look him up and call (he lost it earlier that season) - mail it with my business card...and the $140 cash that was in it.

Never heard from the guy again (not that I was looking for anything - but a $20 gift card to Cabela's for a box of shells would have been nice.)

One of the most interesting thing was a big cat track....I saw it this year in SD .

I found the same thing while deer hunting years ago. Went hunting by myself one morning in an area that I had always seen deer. After several hours, I thought it was strange that I didn't see any deer, so I headed back to the truck. On the way back, I found two sets of big cat tracks in a creek bed. A few days later, one of the local newspapers had an article about sightings of a couple of big cats in that same area. Never hunted that area again.

This year I was grouse hunting after work along a fire-road on the edge of the city. I saw a little gravel path heading into the woods. Unlike the fire road it was very well tended with a brand-new culvert. Thought it was weird - too neat a job for hte woodcutters to have done. It was just coming on to dusk and I started up teh road. The ground had lots of bird shit on it, so I wondered if this might be a major grouse roost. The shit looked wrong though - too liquidy - spattered all over. I kept going slowly along, stopping to listen once in a while. All of a sudden I got spooked for some reason - felt sure that I was being watched. Kept going a bit and then I saw it. A dead doe. Sickened by it I went over to take a look and saw another, then another, then another etc.... There were 8 does lined up on the ground! WHen I looked around a bit more I saw about 20 more deer in various states of decomposition and scavenging. Lots of yote tracks and then a big bear track. Being outside of deer season I didn't even have any slugs, and it was minutes from dark. I decided that it was time to go... One call to the Department of Natural Resources confirmed what I suspected - this was their deer dump for road-killed deer in the area! I went back a while later to try to hunt coyotes. No luck, but I sawed off a nice 8 point rack (never shot a buck in my life, only does, so it was useful as a prank to play on the boys when I nailed it up over the shed door for all to see!).
I have also found some old graveyards along the way. Oldest stone was 1826.
-Croc

really cool stories guys keep 'em coming!!! know what you mean about the cat track and feeling completely uneasy had a young gwp pup that pointed a young cub in some bushes one time, i was kicking the bushes to flush a pheasant and to my surprise a young cub jumped out :eek: at first thought it was cool until i realized that mom and dad were around there somewhere took off running as fast as i could to open short grass so i could see, never went back to that old place again,scarry what might have happened if the parents would have been around ,was by myself!!!

A dead badger â?? first of the species I'd seen. Impressive fangs and fingernails. (Good to know whose dens we keep stepping in.)

That didn't happen to be in a WIHA in Rush County by chance? I found one this past weekend, had never seen one in my life.

JMc said:
Found an old TriTronics Field 70 transmitter...the owner is still missing .
That didn't happen to be in a WIHA southwest of Greensburg, Kansas did it? I happen to have the collar in the case in my garage......lost the transmitter two years ago. Oops, just checked, mine was a Field 90, not 70

Was hunting with a guy this weekend, he had a brand new TriTronics, I'd put the transmitter in my pocket, we were hunting a CRP patch, I reach down to verify its still in my pocket due to my bad luck referenced above. Sure enough, its not there. Start backtracking, another hunting partner finds it 200 yards from where I noticed it missing, 20 yards to the side of where we were looking. I aim to call TriTronics and let them know until they put their transmitters on lanyards, they won't be getting any money from me.

As to finds, hunting in Wyoming two years ago I found a Bushnell yardage pro 800 rangefinder. Got back to the truck, put it up against dads Leica, ranging things out to 800 yards they were within a few yards of each other.

Last edited:
Not all that much out of the ordinary while hunting. Fishing in the strip pits of SE Kansas is another story though. Can't tell the story on the internet, but sometime catch me around Dodge and ask to hear it. All I can say is that I lived in Fr ontenac at the time.

Not all that much out of the ordinary while hunting. Fishing in the strip pits of SE Kansas is another story though. Can't tell the story on the internet, but sometime catch me around Dodge and ask to hear it. All I can say is that I lived in Fr ontenac at the time.

Scared somebody will put a hit on ya from clear over here? :)

Chicken Annies, Chicken Mary's, or Barto's Idle Hour? Got a preference?

I figured that would bring a comment from those in the know. A guy has to be careful.

If we are talking last meal, I will take Chicken Annie's at Yale. Been a long long time since I have been there.

Back