Too hot for deer!

RuttCrazed

I promised my son that I would take him on the youth deer hunt months ago, little did I know it was going to be 108 degrees on opening day! We woke up at 5 AM, ate a quick breakfast and headed for the stand, by 6 AM it was already in the 70's. We saw 3 does and no bucks by 8 AM and decided to head for camp. We rode around, shot some doves, went to town for ice cream and went back out in the evening and saw 4 more does. Sunday morning seemed a little better with temps in the low 60's but we only saw 1 doe, so we decided to go shoot some more doves and head home. He had a lot of fun, but it wasn't really much of a deer hunt with temps over 100 every day!
Did anyone else get out?

Rut

I'm planning on it for next weekend. The forecast looks a little better, but still much warmer than I would prefer. It's tough to get excited about shooting a deer when it's 90-100 degrees.

Yep I called off the hunt due to the heat too. The boy had Baseball games all day and I had been working outside too and we were spent.
Figured we would wait a week. Also the prospect of draging a deer in this heat and then having to butcher it cause I am too cheap to pay someone to do it closed us on not going. Plus we ended up having ball games all day sunday too in the 100 degree heat.:(:(

We need cool temps and rain in a bad way. I got food plots and lawns needing it badly.

Hey Maynard can you do a rain dance for us in NE KS???:D:D

I don't know, I think we have more deer in KS that we need, and if its too hot , cold, windy....... you can stay home.

SetterNut, you must be in one of the areas that didn't get hit by blue tongue or EHD last year, we lost up to 80% of the herd in some areas in NE Kansas.

Rut

I've been seeing a lot of deer too. It doesn't appear that the herd was affected around these parts. The bucks have really been on the move in the evenings here lately. Saw a "no hesitation" shooter in the field behind my house last week.
Stumbled into a small basket 8 yesterday working the pup in the same field.

SetterNut, you must be in one of the areas that didn't get hit by blue tongue or EHD last year, we lost up to 80% of the herd in some areas in NE Kansas.

Rut

I don't think we had much of that around here. We have plenty of deer this fall.

I don't think we had much of that around here. We have plenty of deer this fall.

I heard about guys finding lots of dead deer around Milford and Tuttle. I was told about one guy who took his boat up the river above Milford and found something like 15 dead bucks along the river. A couple were supposedly very, very large racks.

Riley Co Fish & Game had their annual youth and disabled deer hunt on the youth weekend, and I heard it was the lowest number ever harvested. But that could be due to weather or any number of other circumstances.

The sheer number of tracks at my farm would indicate that my little herd came through just fine. So I imagine there are plenty of other places, like yours, where the deer are doing just fine.

Got my camera up on Friday with new batteries. I am pumped to go pull the card later this week. There is one set of monster tracks out there, so I hope the big boy comes by the camera for me!

ill be trying to get out after work tomorrow evening, got 2 really nice bucks that have been pretty consistant on coming out in the beans before dark on the same trail almost every time, and that trail is a nice 15 yard chip shot from my stand :) darn! hopefully ill see a few deer anyways.

A swing and a miss

Well the boy and I went out saturday afternoon to the farm to see what we could see which was not much if we were on the ground since the native grass is 6-7 ft high now. We got there at 5:15 then after doing battle with the Wasps who decided that our deer box was a nice place to nest:eek:. After doing battle with the wasps we got settled in by 5:45. It didn't take long for the action to start. By 6 we had 2 small bucks feeding 50 yrds and were waiting on a big buck or doe. About 7:15 a doe walked out of the grass into a samll opening of foxtail that was just knee high. Well the boy took a shot but shot over her back:(, but he had fun anyway. We sat till dark and checked for blood and nothing. As we were leaving I pulled SD cards and to my suprise look what we should have waited for. I hope to see him next week with my bow in hand:thumbsup:

I Will post pics later on of our first adventure for the fall. :)

We sat out Saturday evening and Sunday evening. We saw deer both times, but they just didn't cooperate. If the weather is nice, we might try with the muzzleloader in the next two weeks.

I saw that KDWPT added a weekend of antlerless hunting for all weapons in October. That's great, but this year it happens to conflict with one of the KSU games I planned to attend.

The weather was much nicer this weekend than last, I wish we could have gotten out again, but our hunting spot is a 5 hour drive one way and with soccer, baseball and football our weekends are pretty booked. It looked perfect this morning, wish I could have been in a stand instead of the office!

Rut

The weather was much nicer this weekend than last, I wish we could have gotten out again, but our hunting spot is a 5 hour drive one way and with soccer, baseball and football our weekends are pretty booked. It looked perfect this morning, wish I could have been in a stand instead of the office!

Rut

Rut I know what you mean. I got all three boys in fall baseball and a house still to paint. I actually got a good buck on film this week and I need to be in the stand but games again this weekend again:( I may need a place to stay when I tell her I am going saturday afternoon. :eek::eek:

Kick,
You will get that big boy sooner or later, they all slip up eventually and hopefully you are in the stand when he does.

We have the months of November and December off from sports, so hopefully my boy and I will get some more time together in the stand. He was very excited about going this year, just a shame the weather was a week or two off. I am sure we will find him something once it cools off.

Good luck to you!

Rut

Weather permitting, I am going to give it a shot at least once later this week. An evening sit for sure, and possibly a morning too if I see what I hope to see on the trail cam.:eek::D

I am trying to wrangle out of work and ball saturday to hunt. Weather looks to be right and I also have a shooting event in VF during the day between sits. Make sure you got your orange on if your hunting deer since muzzle loader is open blaze is required.

Kick!

Back