Todays Hunt - 2020 Season

Spending Veterans Day with my nephew (and his dog - yellow vest) and my Father-in-Law. We didn't limit but the dogs work great and the roosters held tight in the light, wet snow. My Father-in-law shot his first ever pheasant last year and on his first hunt of this season shot his limit. It was pretty memorable as my 7 month old puppy (middle), Willow, and my nephew's dog were locked up literally a foot or two from a tight holding rooster. We were walking a tree row and the rooster made a bad decision to stop in some kosha on the edge rather than keep running. I had to kick it out of there right in front of the dogs and my father-in-law dumped it with a fine shot. Great Day!

P.S. The Dogtra T&B Collar really paid dividends with trying to keep track of both of my dogs with the tight holding birds. It was super exciting when Ellie (3 year old) would lock on and pin birds in the cattails. Many times today I would hear it and then have to locate her to flush the birds.

11-11-20 Hunt.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: PTM
Spending Veterans Day with my nephew (and his dog - yellow vest) and my Father-in-Law. We didn't limit but the dogs work great and the roosters held tight in the light, wet snow. My Father-in-law shot his first ever pheasant last year and on his first hunt of this season shot his limit. It was pretty memorable as my 7 month old puppy (middle), Willow, and my nephew's dog were locked up literally a foot or two from a tight holding rooster. We were walking a tree row and the rooster made a bad decision to stop in some kosha on the edge rather than keep running. I had to kick it out of there right in front of the dogs and my father-in-law dumped it with a fine shot. Great Day!

P.S. The Dogtra T&B Collar really paid dividends with trying to keep track of both of my dogs with the tight holding birds. It was super exciting when Ellie (3 year old) would lock on and pin birds in the cattails. Many times today I would hear it and then have to locate her to flush the birds.

View attachment 491
NIce looking Vislas! Where did you get them?

NIce looking Vislas! Where did you get them?
Ellie (Left) and Bella (Right) are litter mates from a local breeder near Golden Valley, ND. My brother-in-law and I decided to do this together as we see each other 1-2 times per month and thought they would love seeing each other which they do. They are three years old. WIllow, the pup in the middle, we purchased early this summer from Champion Viszla out of Roscoe, SD. I would have to say it was a great experience and the hunt drive of this pup is unbelievable. It helps having a mentor (or two) though. ;)

I have always liked the looks of Vislas. I raise smaller Goldens that are similar in size. How do your dogs do in the cold and snow? I see you have vests on them. I hunt a lot in December and I am afraid they would not be able to handle the cold temps, snow and water.

I always have the vests on just because they hunt hard and I can see them better. Everything is brown in October and November and they just blend in. I like the protection too but that is my personal preference. I don't want them to miss a hunt day because of a preventable cut or scrape. Cutting the wind/cold a little is an added bonus but they are not very warm. I love the Cuga vest!

What I have observed is that as long as we are fairly comfortable they are too. Ellie absolutely loves the cold and is definitely an outlier. I think she was a sled dog in her former life. As soon as ice out hits in the Spring, she wants to swim and fetch objects. Twenty minute fetch sessions in the ND frozen tundra in January-March are common. She would hunt for hours in late December early January if I let her. Her sister Bella handles it okay but not to the level of Ellie. The verdict is still out on Willow the pup. We will see in the next month and a half.

I have been most impressed with their intelligence and how quickly they learn things. I have done almost zero field training with them focusing only on Basic Obedience. The instincts are incredible. I needed this to make me look like a better dog trainer than what I am. I should probably have higher expectations than I do but those I hunt with sure do love to hunt behind them.

Hunting in a windstorm my buddy found a nice whit tail rack and we got a nice old rooster, check out these spurs.734DC677-5B92-4742-BC7E-7264B94F9C28.jpeg862036A1-8464-47A3-B1E2-F8AA82443C8E.jpeg

Hey all, took some time off of work for a short hunt. Good day, should have had a limit, but when walking tree rows by yourself, guess what side the birds get up? You know! Did manage to get two so not a loss. Weather was great, low winds, temps in the 60's! All in all a good day!

Used my 12b J. Blanch today.

KnyLhWr.jpg

Addie did a great job. Solid points and her field work was great. Very happy with her! She's a keeper!

Here she is in the weeds

MmTljo7.jpg

Best,

Greg

I upgraded from a Go Pro 4 to a Go Pro 9. It came in the mail yesterday. I had to try it today with limited battery life keep in mind. My wife and I had just started a walk. Both the dogs started getting birdie. You will see Ellie (3.5 yrs) and Willow (7 mo) pin this bird down at the end. Ellie hunts with her head up a little more and winded the bird several times, relocating as the bird moved. Always amazing how Rudy can conceal and move without being detected by us. They ended up pinning the rooster. I am certain Willow knew that bird was there so I am not sure why she left. Literally 5 seconds after the Go Pro died, I walked in and flushed old Rudy. Ellie had a super nice retrieve.

Well what happened.......???
I ended up waiting for my wife to shoot but she decided it was not a safe shot as the bird flushed on my left side. I shot it at about 40 yards wanting to give my wife every opportunity to shoot. Ellie retrieved the bird promptly to me despite the puppy’s attempts to steal it away. I can’t believe the timing of the battery dying out. However, that is a moment that will be etched in my memory for as long as the good lord allows. Beautiful day, the dogs worked well and my wife and I both saw that colorful rooster bust out of seemingly thin air.

Hey all, my son Jim and I went out for our pre-dinner, Thanksgiving Day hunt. We each got one a piece. We saw plenty of birds, but boy were they ever spooky. Flushing way head and not giving Raina much of a chance to pin one. She did manage to pin a couple however. So....she was the hero of the day!

I used my 12b Cogswell & Harrison Konor and Jim used his 12ga V. Sarasqueta 3EC

z2SzXVx.jpg

And.......Raina!

yzYpd8x.jpg

Happy Thanksgiving!

Greg

Hey all, went out today with my son Jim. We hunted a different area. Saw birds, but not as many as yesterday. I managed 2 and Jim got 1. It was a windy day, but Addie did a fine job! Very proud of this 20 month old.

I used my 12b F.A. Anderson (Jim didn't want me to take his picture today, so none of him!)

8Dftgbq.jpg

And a couple of shots of Addie

XXjPO2J.jpg

HFMBm0o.jpg

Best,

Greg

Back