Today 3-4-2010 GF&P agenda

birdman652001

Pheasants On GF&P Agenda

Posts Published: March 4, 2010, 7:09 AM

PIERRE, SD - The state's wildlife division will propose several hunting seasons, including one for pheasants, during a two-day meeting of the Game, Fish and Parks Commission that begins Thursday in Pierre.

Dates, season length and bag limits will be suggested for the youth, resident-only and general pheasant seasons.

The commission will finalize them at a later meeting after taking public comment.

The GF&P also is scheduled to brief the commission on how wildlife is surviving this winter.

Ill keep you posted about the wildlife's survival for this brutal winter we had.

That would be great. Keep us posted Birdman. I wish I could give some of you folks in South Dakota the nice weather we have had the past 6 wks. Cheers.

so far this is what i heard and see on the news

keloland said:
SIOUX FALLS, SD - The proposed pheasant hunting season in South Dakota this fall is pretty much a carbon copy of last year.

State wildlife managers recommend a 79-day season opening October 16 with a daily bag limit of three roosters.

They propose a five-day season for youth starting October 2, and a three-day resident-only season starting October 9.

The Game, Fish and Parks Commission will take public comment on the season proposals and finalize them at its April meeting.

They should have a week or two long season at the end, just for the residents. They have to put up with all of us nimrods for 2 1/2 months, they should reward the residents with a extra 2 weeks. Just my opinion!:)

They should have a week or two long season at the end, just for the residents. They have to put up with all of us nimrods for 2 1/2 months, they should reward the residents with a extra 2 weeks. Just my opinion!:)

If they did that I would have to consider leaving my wife and heading west.

Status Quo

I don't expect any significant changes from GF&P in regards to pheasant hunting. What would they change and why? I think that there will be a lot fewer complaints about road hunting and trespassing, fewer game law violations, fewer requests to extend the season and/or bag limits, and fewer resident and nonresident licenses sold. The reason, a lot less pheasants.

A bag limit schedule as follows seems worth considering:

First 2 weeks: 3/day
Middle weeks: 4/day
Last 2 weeks: 5/day

or some variation to this general theme.

This would spread out the demand and reward those that want to take on the late season weather as well as doing a "rooster cleanup". Too many roosters make it past the final day only to die before the next season.

Is 65-70% of the hunting in SD done in the first 2 weeks? Too many people on one side of the boat flips the boat over.

I'm also FOR giving SD residents special treatment. The more we take care of these good folks, the better off we out-staters will be.

Back