Today’s results

We had 20 guys and 2 dogs. It was cold and windy but ended the day with 51. It's been quite awhile since we have had that good a day. A bunch of happy hunters here.
Were you all on public land? How do 20 guys hunt with only 2 dogs?

I'm surprised that so many people are surprised about a group of 20 hunters. Not all that uncommon especially if they are hunting big acres and large crop fields. We usually hunt 8 to 10 in our group but have had as many as 16 in the past. Makes for great fun and a lot of good memories for all.

You shouldnt be hot spotting like that. Now everyones going to hunt E of there.
I think A5 Sweet 16 is pulling your leg a little. There are no WPAs west of the Missouri River. There's a few GPAs, WIAs, National Grasslands, etc. and a US Wildlife Preserve, but no WPAs. That being said there are a few isolated pockets of pheasants east of the BH within driving distance. But you'll have to work to find them. I hunted one such area on the Resident Only weekend and shot my limit in about 5 minutes. But, it took me and a good dog 3 hours to find the honey hole. Hope you have a great season.

Were you all on public land? How do 20 guys hunt with only 2 dogs?
Not so unusual. I've hunted pheasants in SD every season since 1961. Up until the late 90's I never once had a dog with me and many times I was with a group of 12-14. I'll admit that having a dog helps and I bought my first dog 5 years ago and wouldn't go bird hunting without him. But, for many years I couldn't understand the need for a dog if you were only going to bird hunt one weekend and perhaps an afternoon or two during the late season. Shot most of my birds over a 30+ year period road hunting in the golden hour with a 410 breakaction and the family 4 door sedan. But I was raised by Depression Era parents, so I probably think different than most.

Nice looking black lab....A pointer friend told me " Labs don't point" Then I had to show him. ;-)

Attachments

• IMG_20161117_155901382 (3).jpg
    IMG_20161117_155901382 (3).jpg
    767.1 KB · Views: 17
We had 20 guys and 2 dogs. It was cold and windy but ended the day with 51. It's been quite awhile since we have had that good a day. A bunch of happy hunters here.
See many hens? I helped out a farmer friend yesterday...17 guys, with family 20...3-4 dogs, 3 of them mine. When 17 hunters arrive with no dogs, they don’t realize they’re hunting planted birds....😆

Birds everywhere. Spots that had few birds last year but not enough to hunt now have good numbers and are producing. Spots with high numbers have huge covies that just explode left and right. 3 hunters, no dog this year, hunting ditches and we've filled out with 9 each day, hours early before sunset the first two days. Few hunters on roads or walkins but preserves and family fields have biggest groups we've ever seen. Many farmers have far less paid hunters coming and have been offering ground to hunt on the weekdays.

Came across one field of corn being combined near Frankfort. Was about 40 rows left of half a quarter so about a half mile long. We stopped to watch and he waved us over and pointed to the rows he was going to run. We booked it to the other end in the truck and blocked. Most birds lifted up and went back in the corn behind him but he was slowing down and letting them get ahead of the combine. A few got up and we got 1 or 2. He point the next rows and we booked it to the other end and got a couple more. He was down to 2 separate strips of 8 rows and got a flat tire. We made him a sandwich and brought it out to the combine. He told us to walk them so we cleaned out the rest with the perfect setup for the three of us and got 6 birds in the "private land" type experience for the cost of a sandwich.

Back