Today’s results

Jon, he's not fibbing (too much anyway ;)). You drive real slow, listening. Very little wind is helpful. Although I don't spend my time doing this anymore, I've heard them. Not very many, but I've heard them. My ears just aren't very good either. Too many years of shotguns, drums & guitars back in the day when nobody considered hearing protection. I have a cousin who hears way more than he sees in ditches. He can usually tell how many birds are in the ditch by listening. Pretty close anyway. It's amazing. This same cousin can sense when a walleye is contemplating sucking on the bait. When they're biting so incredibly light nobody can feel it.....he can feel 'em. It's like ESP. It's really annoying. :ROFLMAO:
Brent: Its those darn A5 guns that make shooting so easy! Really like my 20 that I bought last year, although it's harder to load than the Gold - only takes 2 3/4" shell. My fingers get pinched occasionally, when loading, but maybe that's me.
Continued success this fall. Wish I was a bit closer - we could take both guns out for a walk.
Jon

We try to go as fast as we can in the pickup while still being able to spot heads, pickup movement and hear them which is about 25-30mph. If you go slower, birds are not used to that and will bolt and keep running much of the time if you slow roll next to them at 10-15mph. I wear ear muffs with sound amplification due to pressure issues and have hearing loss due to that at age 50 but I am no where near as good as my brother 10 years younger with just bare ears. Best technique is your head out the passenger side window which is closer to the ditch. It seems the backseat is better as well since they seem to scoot around just as you pass by them. It's a distinctive swish-swish sound that you pick up on. The wind and gravel noise makes a constant whir or slower whoosh for blowing wind. Even with those sound the furtive movement and sound of a bird is there. The more times you stop and get out on those hunches, the better you get and start to believe in it. The birds held so tight this year in the wind and snow that we saw/heard movement on 75% of the birds we jumped in the ditch while driving. of the 45 birds we got, about 25 of them where taken this way.

The movement of the grass is also distinctive. When you spend a lot of time road hunting the change in motion a moving bird makes catches your eye. The wind causes grass to continually bend one direction or wave slowly as it comes and goes. Bird movement is often against the grain of movement and bends the grass too far or snaps out of place. It's the visual compliment to the swish-swish sound. The snow this year clumped to the grass and made movements so out of the norm that I was too distracted by them and gave up on visual spotting. However the grass seemed more compact and amplified the sound.

As for dogs in the truck, we also spent time with a jack russel that would perch on the front seat arm rest. They are ratters, not retrievers but that just makes their eye sight naturally sharp for small movements. He would whine/yip at the site of birds stirring up ahead in the ditch. We would also turn him lose on downed birds and he would pin them most times and allow me to catch up. A few times he got hold of the backbone of a big rooster that was winged and ended up riding it down the corn row like pony until I lassoed them both.

If you ever get a chance to go out road hunting with a local farmer who grew up hunting pheasants it is, no joke, like and indian guide from a TV western. They hear and see 10x the hidden birds in the ditch that we do and make every short and long shot imaginable. It's the kind of thing that comes naturally when you are born into it and do it all your life. 25 years of riding around with them is an education in a style of hunting that is very different than standing behind a dog. Like the difference between stalking a deer and taking a buffalo on horseback. Both a thrilling experience but unique in their own ways.
I think you ought to film this activity one day - truly fascinating (and productive) way to hunt pheasants...

Brent: Its those darn A5 guns that make shooting so easy! Really like my 20 that I bought last year, although it's harder to load than the Gold - only takes 2 3/4" shell. My fingers get pinched occasionally, when loading, but maybe that's me.
Continued success this fall. Wish I was a bit closer - we could take both guns out for a walk.
Jon
Jon, it's not just you. They're finger & thumb pinchers. No doubt about it.

We try to go as fast as we can in the pickup while still being able to spot heads, pickup movement and hear them which is about 25-30mph. If you go slower, birds are not used to that and will bolt and keep running much of the time if you slow roll next to them at 10-15mph. I wear ear muffs with sound amplification due to pressure issues and have hearing loss due to that at age 50 but I am no where near as good as my brother 10 years younger with just bare ears. Best technique is your head out the passenger side window which is closer to the ditch. It seems the backseat is better as well since they seem to scoot around just as you pass by them. It's a distinctive swish-swish sound that you pick up on. The wind and gravel noise makes a constant whir or slower whoosh for blowing wind. Even with those sound the furtive movement and sound of a bird is there. The more times you stop and get out on those hunches, the better you get and start to believe in it. The birds held so tight this year in the wind and snow that we saw/heard movement on 75% of the birds we jumped in the ditch while driving. of the 45 birds we got, about 25 of them where taken this way.

The movement of the grass is also distinctive. When you spend a lot of time road hunting the change in motion a moving bird makes catches your eye. The wind causes grass to continually bend one direction or wave slowly as it comes and goes. Bird movement is often against the grain of movement and bends the grass too far or snaps out of place. It's the visual compliment to the swish-swish sound. The snow this year clumped to the grass and made movements so out of the norm that I was too distracted by them and gave up on visual spotting. However the grass seemed more compact and amplified the sound.

As for dogs in the truck, we also spent time with a jack russel that would perch on the front seat arm rest. They are ratters, not retrievers but that just makes their eye sight naturally sharp for small movements. He would whine/yip at the site of birds stirring up ahead in the ditch. We would also turn him lose on downed birds and he would pin them most times and allow me to catch up. A few times he got hold of the backbone of a big rooster that was winged and ended up riding it down the corn row like pony until I lassoed them both.

If you ever get a chance to go out road hunting with a local farmer who grew up hunting pheasants it is, no joke, like and indian guide from a TV western. They hear and see 10x the hidden birds in the ditch that we do and make every short and long shot imaginable. It's the kind of thing that comes naturally when you are born into it and do it all your life. 25 years of riding around with them is an education in a style of hunting that is very different than standing behind a dog. Like the difference between stalking a deer and taking a buffalo on horseback. Both a thrilling experience but unique in their own ways.
My uncle used to drive on the edge of the wrong side of the road and do what he called tickling the weeds.

Thanks Pete. ....":drive with window open -can hear them". Never tried this; you must have exceptional hearing! At my age, I'm lucky if I can hear the guy next to me in the truck...
You can definitely hear them moving if you're going slow enough. Sounds like something is rustling around in the grass.

Anytime I'm driving I'm looking in the ditches looking for a head to pop up. Even if I can't shoot it, it's still fun to try and see how many you can find.

Jon
Reading this makes me want to take the heavy 12 a5 mag. Out.30 inch full, made in 29.

Got a true double and a single today in 25 minutes. It was bluebird skies, slight breeze and 40's out. Pretty much the days I dream about. Asher pointed a bird after trailing it to a corner in the field. Up in gets right in the sun. No idea what it is, then cackle cackle cackle. So pulled the trigger. As I'm pulling the trigger rooster two rises right in line. Just kept swinging the gun and dropped number two. The first fell in a cut field so I decided to go retrieve the second bird first that was in heavier cover. As I'm headed that way up comes the dog with bird one basically meeting me at bird two. Grabbed it from her and she went about five yards and snagged the second. Great day today.

Just a tad on the breezy side today. Just got into town and hunted a couple hours around Huron. Hard to tell what’s around with that kind of wind but I did end up shooting two birds. Just me and the dog.

Attachments

• 2DD44262-67A7-453E-91D0-FE6D5B841951.jpeg
    2DD44262-67A7-453E-91D0-FE6D5B841951.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 24
Finished up a great 4 days of hunting. Walked 9 miles for 4 birds yesterday and 6.5 miles today for our last 6 of the trip. Back in 2 weeks for my Dad’s first SD pheasant hunt!

Back