To buy or not to buy; truck advice...again!

JMc

Super Moderator
Ok, I drug my feet on the GMC All-Terrain I was looking at but now my local Chevrolet dealer has a 2014 Dodge or Ram (?) Crew Cab Laramie 4x4 with 12,000 miles on it. Sticker in glove box shows MSRP at a touch over 50K...can get it out the door around 38K.

Was traded in on a 3/4 ton Chevy. It drives like a dream, beautifully packaged, and a really nice truck. I never owned a Dodge/Ram so I'm taking all advice...good or bad.
Jim

david0311

Ok, I drug my feet on the GMC All-Terrain I was looking at but now my local Chevrolet dealer has a 2014 Dodge or Ram (?) Crew Cab Laramie 4x4 with 12,000 miles on it. Sticker in glove box shows MSRP at a touch over 50K...can get it out the door around 38K.

Was traded in on a 3/4 ton Chevy. It drives like a dream, beautifully packaged, and a really nice truck. I never owned a Dodge/Ram so I'm taking all advice...good or bad.

Jim

Had several as squads over the years-as well as chevy,s and ford's--no real problem with any of the Dodge's--used them hard and they held up well--and I used them hard --thinking of one for my next truck if I go back to gas--Note--(my use of them was some years back)

Might try for a price --around 35-36

Good lick--:)

david0311

Jim

Had several as squads over the years-as well as chevy,s and ford's--no real problem with any of the Dodge's--used them hard and they held up well--and I used them hard --thinking of one for my next truck if I go back to gas--Note--(my use of them was some years back)

Might try for a price --around 35-36

Good luck--:)

Jim
If it has the 5.7 hemi expect pretty poor mpg's. We have an older 3/4 for a work truck with that motor and it averages between 8-9 as a daily driver I'd say 12 would be the best it could do. I've heard that's not unheard of for them. It's got plenty of power and get up and go though. Not sure if the new ones are better or if you're looking at a different motor. Just something to think about.

Last edited:
I've got a 2011 standard cab dodge ram 4x4 with the hemi. Last year I drove it from the Brookings SD to Hot Springs SD last August and got 17.3 mpg. Coming back I got 17.9 mpg. Of course it varies on how much wind, hills, etc.

JMc You cant go wrong with the ram. I have a 2004 3500 with the 5.7 hemi got 184000 on it and still had zero problems with it. runs like a top and still going i haul alot material in it and get 11 or 12 mpg. 17 on the hwy.

You guys are getting better mileage than I am. I have an 04 3/4 ton crew cab 4 wheel drive. I've seen 15 and a half put its pretty rare. Usually low 14's. 180K very few problems. Pull about anything but when loaded down mpg's drop into the high 7's.

Do you need that much truck? With all incentives right now, you might be able to get a BRAND NEW Chevy half ton for that 38K. It'll get great mileage and last till 300,000 miles!

I want a new truck really bad myself, unfortunately Chevy isn't making this one quite yet.

That's one nice looking Colorado looks like lockers on both ends plus obviously lighter.

Unfortunately 35 inch tires being powered by 181 hp baby diesel sounds underpowered. Wonder how a tune with the proper deletes would improve upon that.

Last edited:
That's one nice looking Colorado looks like lockers on both ends plus obviously lighter.

Unfortunately 35 inch tires being powered by 181 hp baby diesel sounds underpowered. Wonder how a tune with the proper deletes would improve upon that.

Low on hp but big on torque, 360 plus at 2,000 rpm. Pretty cool truck though, the aftermarket will have all the same mods ready shortly (except for the front locker) I would imagine.

I agree it's pretty cool,and the lighter weight compared to a full sized truck it might get around pretty well.

I'm sure squeezing more power from that diesel will be pretty easy.

I'd be willing to bash one around the SoCal desert and some high Sierra jeep trails if Chevy needed a tester lol.

Back