There Are Birds Left In CO!

henhenROOSTER!!!

Had a blast in the snow yesterday with fellow UPH'er 'cowdog' & his new dog Pistol (younger yellow lab, near-twin to my old dog Chance). Was very ENCOURAGED to see that there are still pockets left in CO phez country with good number of birds (& ROOSTERS). We were in birds all day long everywhere we went & the usual late-season little demons played the game like perfect tight-holding bobwhite gentlemen for a change in the freshly fallen snow first morning after storm cleared, bursting right out from under our feet in a spray of powder only after the dogs put their noses on them & pushed 'em out! :eek: :thumbsup:
Came home from the day-trip with a double-limit of fat roosters for the table (hunting buddy gave me his, since he already has plenty in the freezer)! :cheers:

One more year of decent moisture after this & the bounceback in some areas should be pretty impressive with this much "brood stock" still left over after all the discouraging drought of the past few years.

If anybody would like to know the EXACT coordinates of where we were, it's @ the crossroad of CR 1,2,3 & XYZ somewhere as east as you can go & still be in CO between Burlington & Holyoke. Just call Junior at BR-549 & he'll give you & all the lurkers on here permission - the more the merrier! That way you won't have to keep on working at it for years like the rest of us to find all the sweet spots & honey-holes... :D :p

Last edited:
Nice... nothing beats hunting after a snow storm and thanks for sharing :thumbsup:. I got out yesterday as well but in the afternoon, just me and my lab. We only got a few hours of hunting in. I only hit a few fields and should have had my limit but I missed the first two roosters. Tried sneaking up on a wind break and they always seem to come out in the worst possible angle and direction out of those. Had several hens pointed and sat extremely tight. I did get one that sat tight and flushed him literally a few feet away. It was a good day to be out yesterday and wished I could have gotten a few more hours in.

Here is a pic of the one I did get yesterday.

Last edited:
Hunting fresh snow is always a good time. Birds seem to sit better too:)

Glad to hear you both had some good times out there.

Nick

Good work. Was supposed to head out this morning but my youngest son had a 103 fever. Heading out Monday and Tuesday of next week. Chasing quail on Monday.

Awesome to hear! There is nothing better than seeing a rooster bust out of the snow underneath of your feet.

A buddy of mine hunted this past weekend and had good success. Another buddy hunted today and got his limit. It's amazing what a year of moisture and good habitat will do!

I'm giving it a whirl on Friday. I can't wait; it will be my first serious pheasant hunt.

Went out for about 5 hrs the other day and saw 1 bird. Of course it was about 70 yrds out and flew right into the sun. They are tricky like that.

Good luck to everyone. Glad people are finding something in Colorado

Hen-hen,
Glad to hear you're getting some chances to get out and get into some birds. It helps to be hunting with a master like Cowdog.
Tom

Thx Tom - you & I need to get out together again too, hopefully before this season ends! Another PERFECT late-season rooster taming opportunity or two coming up in the fresh snow over the next few days or week, but I gotta skip out on this one. Will be in TX visiting with fam thru NY's... :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Back