The A5 Browning returns in 2012

The "stalker" model sure looks like the A5 I have, with the raised receiver et al. And the improvements are very appealing...

Have you shouldered this new gun?

It ain't an A-5. If you think so, you're just falling for the hype. The original is a classic. This is just an attempt to appropriate the name and hopefully fool a bunch of buyers into thinking they're getting the original. You will never find one sitting in the safe next to my 1958 Light 12 or 1961 Sweet Sixteen.
It maybe a great gun, but I choose not to reward the cheap marketing attempt.

Browning's web page states this gun has nothing in common with the old A-5 besides the "hump". Regardless, it looks like a new version of the old A-5, it's lighter, and most likely will perform like or better than the old A-5 (Time will tell).

The A-5 "hump" tends to line my eye up with my target like no other gun does. And what a beautiful gun with a classic look. The hype has worked and I really hope to get one next spring:D:cheers:

I don't have any sentimental attachment to an A5, but, am always interested in the latest auto's.

However, a couple aspects of this one lessen the appeal a bit for me. They seem to market it as a waterfowler (at least in the video), but, it doesn't shoot 3.5's.

And, although it has an aluminum receiver, it's not all that light...7lb3oz to 7lb7oz depending on barrell length.

The Maxxus continues to interest me a bit more. Lighter, shoots 3.5's, and, probably a softer shooter.

I don't have any sentimental attachment to an A5, but, am always interested in the latest auto's.

However, a couple aspects of this one lessen the appeal a bit for me. They seem to market it as a waterfowler (at least in the video), but, it doesn't shoot 3.5's.

And, although it has an aluminum receiver, it's not all that light...7lb3oz to 7lb7oz depending on barrell length.

The Maxxus continues to interest me a bit more. Lighter, shoots 3.5's, and, probably a softer shooter.

My thoughts exactly, i wish it was about a pound lighter. I have a Maxus and will probably stick with that unless it fits me better when i see one, nice looking gun though.

My A5 weighs 8.8. Not sure how accurate this is, on a digital scale at home. This is a 26" barrel, IC fixed. I have modified it a bit:cut the stock to a minimum and added forend grip and rear grip. these are wood components and probably weight a few ounces.

A new !5 at 7.3 oz is quite a difference! Probably less that my 20 ga auto.

My SBE2 is 7.5
Maxus 6.8 or so
Benelli M2 20g 5.5
I like light weight guns but i sure like the looks of the new A5

I like them light too. But about half the time I haul around a a Parker #2 weight double twelve that weighs in at just short of 9# with 28" barrels. I guess lightweight evaded the American Makers when it came to 12's, but a #1 weight gun would be short of 8#'s. Real steel and walnut comes at a cost. Old timers liked the model 12's and Browning A-5's as apposed to 870's and 1100's claiming the latter sounded "tinny". Weight was not then much of a consideration. I'm more dismayed in the case of the "new" A-5, that the mechanics of the gun bear faint resembelence to the classic.

I'm curious to see if the barrel will retract into the receiver area when the gun is fired, as with the old A-5. The moving barrel feature gives the A-5 a sound of it's own when fired. It's truly one of a kind.

I'm curious to see if the barrel will retract into the receiver area when the gun is fired, as with the old A-5. The moving barrel feature gives the A-5 a sound of it's own when fired. It's truly one of a kind.

The barrel is fixed and won't move. This "new" Browning system is simply another Benelli inertia variant (delayed blowback).

I like the looks of the wood-stocked model, but my ugly Benelli Vinci only weighs 6 lbs. 14 oz and I don't worry about the looks. If I want looks I'll carry my SxS or OU guns. All autos are ugly, but ya gotta have one in the quiver.

The barrel is fixed and won't move. This "new" Browning system is simply another Benelli inertia variant (delayed blowback)

By the way it sounds this gun is using the inertia system and not the gas operated system?

It's certainly not the old browning long recoil system though! Closer to a newer Benelli design than the old A-5 double shuffle long action.

It's certainly not the old browning long recoil system though! Closer to a newer Benelli design than the old A-5 double shuffle long action.

Regardless, I'm still very much looking forward to getting this gun, but what was Browning thinking? I think Browning would have had a real knock out gun if they would have used the same or at least very similar mechanics of the old A-5!

For someone like me, the looks and weight are enough of a of a sell. I'm afraid they're going to have one heck of a time getting the old school A-5'ers on board with this one.

Back