Tell me this isn't smokin' hot

Per the camel analogy. A year ago Fauci, the CDC and the Surgeon General all were clearly stating masking is not necessary. The Koreans and Chinese were telling the US they were wrong. I get that they were trying to protect the front line health workers with the mask shortage ... but ...

Interestingly the CDC is now moving from 6 feet to 3 feet if you are masked. Schools just cannot meet the 6 foot requirement and now it is apparently no longer necessary ??

It is definitely science on the fly. Fauci and the CDC should start every public event and annoucement with ... the current data SUGGESTS that doing this will reduce that....

Do you know the percentage of health care professionals who have declined the vax? Many.

I

You have 1,000 co-workers?

I've read (but you can read anything) that a great many health care professionals are NOT opting to be vax'ed - though I have several Doc friends, who have. Not saying one shouldn't take it- just that there is much we do not know.
Believe it or not, a major metropolitan hospital system has lots of employees. In my department alone, pharmacy, I have over 200 people that I work directly with. Add on doctors nurses respiratory therapists, it adds up.

And I call BS on the part about healthcare workers choosing not to get vaccinated.

In my department, we have a couple antivax people, and a few pregnant women who chose not to get the vaccine. But that's it.

So forgive me if I don't believe what you read when compared to what I see.

Skepticism is healthy, willful ignorance is dangerous.

Believe it or not, a major metropolitan hospital system has lots of employees. In my department alone, pharmacy, I have over 200 people that I work directly with. Add on doctors nurses respiratory therapists, it adds up.

And I call BS on the part about healthcare workers choosing not to get vaccinated.

In my department, we have a couple antivax people, and a few pregnant women who chose not to get the vaccine. But that's it.

So forgive me if I don't believe what you read when compared to what I see.

Skepticism is healthy, willful ignorance is dangerous.
Skepticism is when you question my information; willful ignorance is when I question yours. Right? :)

I did read a report (again - who's to say it was correct) that over a third of health care professionals were opting out of the vax at one point. That may have changed since; or may even have been incorrect to begin with. For that matter, early reports (speaking of Camels) were that smokers actually had LOWER death rates from COVID than non-smokers. Which kind of makes my point. We don't know as much as we think we do. Still.

So, we just have to use our best judgement. I'm guessing that the odds that both you and Donald J. Trump are both wrong on the same topic, and at the same point in time, are small - so I'm going with the "safe and effective, but not so much against the new round of variants" conclusion. So - J&J or nothing for me, personally.

Are you at Mayo? Absolutely top notch outfit. Life savers. We owe them (you?) a large debt of gratitude.

Just found a report from NIH that concluded smokers had double the mortality than non smokers...about 11k people were studied...published 10/7/20. I’m no expert, but it seems to me those with healthy lungs may stand a better chance of surviving this thing than those with compromised lungs. I realize lots of other factors come into play...

Last edited:
Just found a report from NIH that concluded smokers had double the mortality than non smokers...about 11k people were studied...published 10/7/20
Exactly. Which directly contradicts earlier reports. All which supports the main point here. What we "know" today is as likely as not to seem silly tomorrow.

I guess one must do his/her best at the moment with what we know, and adapt as we go...all we can do. Other than the physical and financial and emotional injury that some have suffered, I don’t mind this lifestyle, personally. And it appears to me that the politicians who impact my life have attempted to do the right things...nobody’s perfect, for sure. The steps taken have seemed logical to me....

Last edited:
I must have missed the erroneous reports that suggested smokers weren’t at an increased risk; I have smokers in my family, and have been very concerned about them from very early on based upon things I read about covid and smokers...

I guess one must do his/her best at the moment with what we know, and adapt as we go...all we can do. Other than the physical and financial and emotional injury that some have suffered, I don’t mind this lifestyle, personally. And it appears to me that the politicians who impact my life have attempted to do the right things...nobody’s perfect, for sure. The steps taken have seemed logical to me....
Where you and I differ - I don't think I got my $42k worth from what was, I think, the fifth "CORONA excuse" bill. With more to come, I'm sure.
I think it is beneath contempt to seize upon a national tragedy to lines one's pockets, and those of one's cronies at taxpayer expense. And that is not a partisan comment - I'm not distinguishing between the different types of snakes in the pit here. If they actually are attempting to do the right thing here (which I find difficult to swallow), and that is the best they are capable of - then I wish they'd quit it, and go find honest employment somewhere else.

I must have missed the erroneous reports that suggested smokers weren’t at an increased risk; I have smokers in my family, and have been very concerned about them from very early on based upon things I read about covid and smokers...
This is not the article I recall, but none the less - does acknowledge the possibility (while maintaining a healthy skepticism) of lower COVID among smokers). NOT an endorsement; merely pointing out, once again, how little we seem to know that is correct for very long!

Is there a smoker’s paradox in COVID-19? | BMJ Evidence-Based Medicine

My comments about politicians pertained to those at the local and state level...the one's making the rules about the things I could or couldn't do...I don't disagree about the things you mention at the federal level...just used to it, I guess...

This is not the article I recall, but none the less - does acknowledge the possibility (while maintaining a healthy skepticism) of lower COVID among smokers). NOT an endorsement; merely pointing out, once again, how little we seem to know that is correct for very long!

Is there a smoker’s paradox in COVID-19? | BMJ Evidence-Based Medicine

I'll repeat what I said earlier--I don't know how anybody could expect the medical experts to know a substantial amount about a condition that is quite new...and to have what they do know/believe to know to be 100% correct at that early stage, or those early stages...I'm just damn impressed that within about 9 months of this thing rearing its ugly head we had vaccines!!! wow!!! I give our health care system a STRONG passing grade overall!

I'll repeat what I said earlier--I don't know how anybody could expect the medical experts to know a substantial amount about a condition that is quite new...and to have what they do know/believe to know to be 100% correct at that early stage, or those early stages...I'm just damn impressed that within about 9 months of this thing rearing its ugly head we had vaccines!!! wow!!! I give our health care system a STRONG passing grade overall!
Won't disagree w/the success of Warp Speed etc - just wish the "experts" would stop stating everything in terms of certainties. E.g., just heard Dr.
Fauci state that 30% of new COVID cases in the US are the new UK variant. Whatever that means (remain afraid and continue to "stimulate" the economy, I suppose). I think the fine folks in our medical profession deserve a new, more credible mouthpiece.

Perhaps I should involve myself with the minutiae to a greater degree....nah, why the F would I do that??? 🤣. I guess there are enough others out there reading the fine print! I have no issue with Fauci, I believe he is doing his best...but what do I know, I don’t read the fine print!

Perhaps I should involve myself with the minutiae to a greater degree....nah, why the F would I do that??? 🤣. I guess there are enough others out there reading the fine print! I have no issue with Fauci, I believe he is doing his best...but what do I know, I don’t read the fine print!
No need to look for fine print; Fauci is all about Fauci. He gladly jerks America around to hold center stage. That, I do not admire.

You may be correct...I will continue to think he’s a well-intended public servant who does a good job! The market closes in 10 minutes, gonna take my dogs and go get some exercise! The important stuff🥳

Last edited:
I’m sure you’re correct in your beliefs/assertions...I’m pretty indifferent/apathetic as it relates to politics, conspiracies, various machinations being perpetrated...I’m glad there are people willing to run for city council, school board, other positions at the city, county, state and federal level...I’m not!!! Gotta live with what we’ve got, I’m not exorcised enough to write letters, make calls, wave placards, etc. maybe that will change...doubt it...I’ll just keep voting when I can...and living my simple, under-the-radar life...happy with that...🤓

Back