Take-aways from this season

remy3424

My season has ended, it was maybe not the best, but it was a good one. Here are a few take-aways from my experiences in Iowa from this season:

*The mild weather...great for getting kids out and causal hunters seemed to be out all season, more than just the normal opening weekend or 2. The opener was actually one of the cooler weekends of the season.
*Birds holding or the lack of it. Only a few outings did the birds hold well for the dog, they seemed pretty wild this season, I think the mild temps were possibly a factor.
*Bird numbers seemed to be big. I will stick with "hot & dry" is much preferred to "cold & wet". It was very hot during the hatch and we seemed to have some young of the year birds in the bag. This was our 3 in a row hot & dry summer. Saying this, more is not always better...that sounds like crazy talk, but with packs of birds in the cover, it really is a challenge for the dog, maybe not so much locking down on a single, but finding a downed bird where 30 just flushed from. It seems like when they do get into bigger groups, when one flushes, they all will in short order...popcorn flushes, frustrating in heavy cover, but part of hunting that cover.
*Not "party hunting" hasn't had much of an affect on my harvest numbers and my hunting partners get to shoot more birds themselves and they enjoy it more.
*I can shoot well at times, but not immune to a late season slump....I figured this out yesterday, but I ended the season with 2 birds on my last 2 shots of the season.
*It isn't sacrilegious to "grind" pheasant breast. I stepped out of my comfort zone on some new ways to prep and cook pheasants. It also allowed my to save more birds for the off-season eating and takes them out of the possession limit. Thanks KEO
*Loss of habitat is happening near me. I have mentioned this in other threads, but a couple waterways have been cleared and tiled, one was an excellent piece of habitat that is now bare dirt, it wasn't unusual to see 40 birds there, if there was snow on the ground. CRP is soon going to be needed for pheasant hunting to continue to thrive in Iowa.
*I might need to start a little pre-season conditioning next season, not quite ready to try a new shotgun, I am just getting good/comfortable with my 11-87 after 30 some years.
* Slings have little use in pheasant hunting. I had one on and it was always in the way. In the wind it was always over top the receiver, I did use it a time or 2 after I had my birds and was finished, but helping my buddy to get birds....not worth the problems they cause in my opinion. When you are in the cover you need to be ready, if the gun is slung over your shoulder, you are not ready.
*Lastly, I wish everyone would get to the store now and buy a case of shells, whichever they might be that they have confidence in, so we don't have all the bawling as season descends upon us and they can't kind a certain shell. Well, those threads do create some forum traffic in the off-season. Related to this, everyone that hasn't, should try patterning their shotgun with the shells of choice.

The replies made me think of a big one i messed....Use the little disposable chemical handwarmers! Just side one into the palm inside a tight fitting windproof glove. The tight fitting gloves were great for grip and feeling the safety. They were a game changer for me this season...I think only once or twice I worn a heavy/warmer glove/liner with the heaters combo. Again, it was a mild season. Several outings were gloveless.

Another good season in the books. Interested to hear what others have to say about their seasons.

Last edited:
Good season, tried some new guns,lost a bunch of birds, so not happy about that.Bought a new puppy, happy with the puppy.Very warm and dry season.

Had a ball. Started mid September chasing grouse and woodcock in Michigan. And finally got to SoDak mid November. Ohio birds seem to be up this year. Only bummer has been a shooting slump and not finding any new spots. New equipment wise I really like the Alpha 300 and Danner Recurve boots. Not really waterproof but man they’re light and comfy. Keep yer powder dry and run em to me.

Areas I've been hunting in eastern MT since the 1990s way too crowded with out of state hunters, dog trailers, etc.

I'm moving on to some new MT locations that are not as popular and broadcast all over social media.
It was a good season, got to hunt my lab pup 46 times and hunted the older lab 16 times. No lost birds.

WI here. Agree with the mild weather. There were some December hunts where my gloveless right hand wasn't cold at all. It was very unusual for WI that late, but it made being out more enjoyable.

I noticed I rushed many shots this year. A sudden flush would excite me, and I would quickly take a shot thinking I would have the bird in the bag before I pulled the trigger. Something I'll have to try to correct for next year.

We all have heard it but slowing down while walking does wonders. I wonder how many birds I walked past this season. Later in the season, I really started to slow down. There were a couple of times where I would stop walking for 5-10 seconds or so...a bird would get nervous and flush wild. And, there was a time where I was fixing my boots. My dog didn't like that idea, so she continued searching some cattails. Low and behold she flushes a hen after a minute. I'm sure we would've passed by that hen if it weren't for the extra time.

I love hunting just my dog and me, but I miss sharing the events with family/others. All but one hunt was solo this year. I might try to find a couple of others in the area/neighbors that wouldn't mind working together.

There were some December hunts where my gloveless right hand wasn't cold at all.
I posted this in the another glove thread, but I didn't use gloves the entire season. I probably have a higher tolerance for bare handed hunting than most it seems, but I cannot recall once in 25 years hunting in MN when that had occurred before. I can remember one day when the air temps were about 25-30 degrees, otherwise it was above freezing every other time...and all of my hunting was from mid November or beyond. Strange weather indeed.

I posted this in the another glove thread, but I didn't use gloves the entire season. I probably have a higher tolerance for bare handed hunting than most it seems, but I cannot recall once in 25 years hunting in MN when that had occurred before. I can remember one day when the air temps were about 25-30 degrees, otherwise it was above freezing every other time...and all of my hunting was from mid November or beyond. Strange weather indeed.
Last year, I got Raynaud's syndrome from my lack of glove use! Quite the difference

Great synopsis of your season, remy. Time for you to pick up a SD license and come walk through some cattails!
I sure wouldn't want to take-on cattails until Decemeber...would want a few weekends under my belt for conditioning. Maybe you get an Iowa license and will introduce you to my world. Easier to navigate through but hard to recover in. Would love to have Sage give it a go! My dog needs work, I just got so lucky on my last dog, still miss him.

This was my second year coming to SD, public land only, and it is still a learning experience. I had two hunting trips, one early when most fields had standing crops and the second after Thanksgiving in a different area with most crops out. Both had birds but the second session had more. Maybe it was conditions, maybe I’m starting to get it or maybe just lucky.

Phin, my Lab, continues to be a tank in the brush. He’s better at tracking down birds than I am at shooting them but he forgives me (except for the occasional stink-eye) and is always looking for the next bird. It’s a pleasure to see instinct and training at work.

I have Raynaud's syndrome, and my hands get painfully cold at times which kills the fun of being outdoors. I’ve tried hand warmers and looked into heated gloves, but gloves were too bulky, especially the trigger finger. I finally tried a pair of heated glove inserts which seem to work. They don’t keep the hands “warm feeling” but they are not “cold” if that makes sense. I’ve been using them at home in 20 F and hands remain comfortable.

Was hoping to get in one more SD hunt but life and weather makes that unlikely. Quail is open in AZ until mid-Feb and AZ is close so that might be a possibility. In the meantime, improving shooting, working with the dog, reading these forums and daydreaming about next season will have to do.

This was my second year coming to SD, public land only, and it is still a learning experience. I had two hunting trips, one early when most fields had standing crops and the second after Thanksgiving in a different area with most crops out. Both had birds but the second session had more. Maybe it was conditions, maybe I’m starting to get it or maybe just lucky.

Phin, my Lab, continues to be a tank in the brush. He’s better at tracking down birds than I am at shooting them but he forgives me (except for the occasional stink-eye) and is always looking for the next bird. It’s a pleasure to see instinct and training at work.

I have Raynaud's syndrome, and my hands get painfully cold at times which kills the fun of being outdoors. I’ve tried hand warmers and looked into heated gloves, but gloves were too bulky, especially the trigger finger. I finally tried a pair of heated glove inserts which seem to work. They don’t keep the hands “warm feeling” but they are not “cold” if that makes sense. I’ve been using them at home in 20 F and hands remain comfortable.

Was hoping to get in one more SD hunt but life and weather makes that unlikely. Quail is open in AZ until mid-Feb and AZ is close so that might be a possibility. In the meantime, improving shooting, working with the dog, reading these forums and daydreaming about next season will have to do.
I emailed the folks at Hot Hands and told them to make me a "Trigger Finger Warmer" that would be the size of my index finger and would fit perfectly and comfortably on the back of my pointer, inside the glove. They haven't gotten back to me yet. Next step is to go Karen on them and ask to speak with the manager until I get my TFW.

I will have to Google that condition, but it doesn't sound good.
Yeah, I hadn't heard of it before either. My hands basically swelled and become discolored in response to the cold for a couple of weeks. All good now, but thought I had bad frost bite or something at the time.

Like Golden Hour, I haven't found a great solution for glove wear in the field. Hence the medical issue 😄

I emailed the folks at Hot Hands and told them to make me a "Trigger Finger Warmer" that would be the size of my index finger and would fit perfectly and comfortably on the back of my pointer, inside the glove. They haven't gotten back to me yet. Next step is to go Karen on them and ask to speak with the manager until I get my TFW.
I have thought about that same thing! What I find is that sometimes those handwarmer packets get so hot inside a glove it feels like you're getting burned. Get exclusive rights for resale! 👈 ;)

Sounds like a great season Remy! I experienced a lot of the same, also hunting iowa.

A tip for the hand warmers, try using medical tape and taping them to the inside of your forearm right by your wrist. Lots of blood going through there and it will keep your hands warm. An old ice fishing trick!

I have thought about that same thing! What I find is that sometimes those handwarmer packets get so hot inside a glove it feels like you're getting burned. Get exclusive rights for resale! 👈 ;)
I had a couple from last season, maybe Hot Hands brand that were quite warm, after those I opened a pack of Heat Factory (I think) ones, I thought I bought them just last season, but I noticed an expiration date of 2022 I think....anyway they weren't that near burning hot temp, maybe due to being old. I will edit the post upon verifying data!

Sounds like a great season Remy! I experienced a lot of the same, also hunting iowa.

A tip for the hand warmers, try using medical tape and taping them to the inside of your forearm right by your wrist. Lots of blood going through there and it will keep your hands warm. An old ice fishing trick!
I read that the heat on the wrist trick was debunked as myth. Ever try it? Anyone have luck with this? I know you can't believe everything you read...here or elsewhere on the interweb.

I know a few guys that have Reynaud’s syndrome…bad deal. I’m generally not a glove wearer, but I’ve started wearing a golf glove in my left hand if below 40 degrees, or in that range.

I read that the heat on the wrist trick was debunked as myth. Ever try it? Anyone have luck with this? I know you can't believe everything you read...here or elsewhere on the interweb.
It depends. In cold weather I take wrist bands and tuck a couple in there with light gloves. In theory it warms the blood which warms the hands. May only be in my head. I am not a fan of heavy gloves or coats for that matter

Back