Sweet Sixteen

I have the friction rings in correctly according to the manual. My question is do the rings and recoil spring get old and need to be replaced. And in doing so would that have a tendancy to reduce the recoil?????

Zeb That I don't know. But you stated that the rings where installed wrong. Did I miss read your post????? I know I have not had to replace any thing on my a5's . That doesn't mean that they don't. Like I said It's a very good question. Perhaps someone will chim in on this subject.:)

I did say they were installed wrong. But I also said I then installed them correctly and fired the gun. Still seems like more recoil than it should be. That's why I was wondering if the brass friction ring becomes worn or the recoil spring becomes weak it would cause the barrel to fly back faster thus increasing recoil. Onpoint is really into these guns and I know he is in SD this weekend. I'm sure he will have some good advice when he returns.

Ok, you spring for the gun we all want, get a great gun for a great deal...c'mon Zeb; with all the money you saved on that deal, don't be so cheap. Get some new rings and springs and whether or not the recoil changes, at least the gun should function somewhat better. I would bet the spring will make a difference but I would replace rings and spring together.

Good luck with it; it is a very nice looking 'Sweet 16' ... sans the tripod - :D

Ok, you spring for the gun we all want, get a great gun for a great deal...c'mon Zeb; with all the money you saved on that deal, don't be so cheap. Get some new rings and springs and whether or not the recoil changes, at least the gun should function somewhat better. I would bet the spring will make a difference but I would replace rings and spring together.

Good luck with it; it is a very nice looking 'Sweet 16' ... sans the tripod - :D

Ok. So where can I get a new recoil spring and the friction rings???

At one time I new a lot more about this than I remember now. As I recall the spring is directional and shooting heavy loads while the friction rings are adjusted for light loads will in fact increase wear and recoil. Damage as I recall amounts to over return of the barrel, so that in extreme examples the barrel returns imcompletely into the reciever, with premature failure of the spring. I would replace both, to ensure proper function. Brownings are famous for the double shuffle recoil as well, which is a peculiar feature of all this style long recoil auto, and it might account for the "felt" recoil as it will be prolounged, slower and different feeling from a fixed breech or gas auto. May be something just to get used to.

I did say they were installed wrong. But I also said I then installed them correctly and fired the gun. Still seems like more recoil than it should be. That's why I was wondering if the brass friction ring becomes worn or the recoil spring becomes weak it would cause the barrel to fly back faster thus increasing recoil. Onpoint is really into these guns and I know he is in SD this weekend. I'm sure he will have some good advice when he returns.

If you're not accustomed to the recoil of a long action A-5 type, the recoil will feel different.

It would take a lot of ammo to wear out the brass friction ring, and even longer to wear out the spring.

There is a pad at the inside back of the receiver which the bolt bumps against, and those do wear out. That pad may be worn/broken/missing. It's worth a few bucks to have a competent gunsmith look at it.

I ordered a new recoil spring and the friction rings and friction spring from Midwest Gun Works. It was only $41.25 with shipping. I'll see if it makes any difference. If not at least I'll have new parts that I'll never wear out. :)

If the recoil is still prevelant and you just can't handle it I'll trade you a sack of marbles with two shooters and an Old Timer with half a blade...even up. You don't even have to come up with any cash; :p.

Actually, I hope it works for you.

If the recoil is still prevelant and you just can't handle it I'll trade you a sack of marbles with two shooters and an Old Timer with half a blade...even up. You don't even have to come up with any cash; :p.

Actually, I hope it works for you.

Guess I'll have to pass! :) But I do have a 16 ga. SxS I'll make you a good deal on.

Got the new recoil spring and friction rings today. Installed them and took the Sweet out and shot it. HUGE difference. A lot less recoil than I was getting before. With the rings set in the Heavy position it functioned regular 1 1/8 oz. loads and the 1 1/16 oz. B&P's but would not cyle the 1 oz. Remington Game Loads. Previously it was also cycling the 1 oz. loads. Looks l ike problem solved and she'll be a real nice shooter. Watch out roosters!!!

Sweet 16

I guess I'll have to toughen up my roosters this season and teach them new evasive moves, no wait a minute they already have all that, but then you have good dogs so guess they are in trouble.

We will just have to wait and see.:cheers:

George, I'm still in South Dakota. I will be for a week or more yet.

To test your A5 aqnd see if the recoil spring or friction break's(Brass Ring) is worn. Set it for the heavy loads. Then fire a number of light loads through it. If it fails to cycle. I doubt the ring or the spring is bad. The A5 does have a bit more recoil then most other guns. Just the nature of the beast.

Onpoint

Just read your PM, never mind me...you have things well in control.

I'm using someone elses computer out her in SoDak and didn't read everything on this thread. I spoke before I should have..LOL

Carry on men....KIlled a rattle snake the other day that was a inch from my sons foot. Call it lucky!! It could have been a bad deaL. i'LL POST PICS WHEN i GET BACK

Back