Sweet 16 Success

This is my sweet..took me all my life to find the one I wanted

i thought the shells could only be purple?:)

Nope. I've got Purple (Federal), Black (Remington), Blue (Fiocchi), Red (Winchester) and Green (B&P).

i thought the shells could only be purple?:)

I do believe that making all 16 gauge shells in one color such as Purple would be a good idea.

Are there any differences between the standard 16 and the sweet 16, other than weight? The Sweet 16 obviously cost a lot more than the standard and if it is just the 1 pound difference I can deal with it. However, if the extra weight takes away from the balance or if other features make the Sweet 16 worth the cost, then maybe I will wait for one.

My thought is I can get a standard A5 16 and a .22 target pistol (ruger mark 2 or Hi-standard?) for the same total cost as the Sweet 16. I would love to get a Sweet to go along with my Model 12 16, but then again I would also like to retire sometime in the next 25-30 years.

I think the weight is basically the only difference. If you look at the chart below is would appear that there is about 3/4 lb. difference between the Standard 16 and the Sweet.

a5wt1.jpg

As I get older that 3/4 lb. makes a big difference by the end of the day. Personally I'd wait for a Sweet. I looked quite awhile before I bought mine. I paid less than $900 for a 1960 Belgium Sweet with a 26" vent rib barrel choked IC. Think I got a great deal. One reason it was a less money is that the stock had been cut and a recoil pad added so it wasn't 100% stock. LOP is still the same as original. I didn't care because it would going to be shooter for me anyway. I took the old recoil pad off and put on a new black Browning recoil pad and it looks great.

SweetSixteen2.jpg

George,

I assume your 16 GA has a magazine shell stop. Why they eliminated this on some of the new A5's is beyond me!

George,

I assume your 16 GA has a magazine shell stop. Why they eliminated this on some of the new A5's is beyond me!

Yes, it has the magazine cutoff on the left side. I think all A5's prior to the new models had the cutoff.

But Jon, take a look at the new A5. I think they actually have a better feature than the old magazine cutoff. It functions much in the same way as the Benelli's. When you pull the bolt back to take the shell out of the chamber it does not release a new shell from the magazine. Thus eliminating the need for the cutoff. I like that since you can unload the chamber without having to unload the magazine. It also have a "Bolt Latch" just ahead of the trigger guard that you push and then when you bring the bolt back it keeps the action open. As well as a speed load option. If you go to the Browning web site and search around you will find all these features and videos of how they work. I believe some of these are an improvement over the old design. I just want to see a Sweet Sixteen in the new A5 and I'll be first in line to get one.

After I sent you the previous message, I reviewed another site that described the new "cutoff." Thanks for the message back; you're right, new way to cut the shells off.

Wish my 20 ga. Gold had that feature...

Back