Supplements

Dakotazeb

Do any of you give your dogs any nutritional supplements? I'm thinking like fish oil, glucosamine, chondroitin, etc.

I've given my dogs VitaCoat Plus from Drs. Foster & Smith for several years. Seems to help their coats but it's starting to get pricey. I was paying $39.99 for a gallon and now it's $59.99.

I've generally felt that if you feed a good quality dog food there probably isn't much need for supplements. Just wondering what other opinions are.

That has always been my feeling on supplements. If you feed them good, there is no need for them. I know some people feed bacon grease and things like that. But the salt in some of that stuff worries me.

Team Realtree

It's not really a supplement but when I'm in the field I feed Kody Team Realtree's power bars. I can notice the difference in how long he hunts and he seems to have more pep to his step throughout a long day of walking.

Kiotehntr,
I have a couple of shorthairs that are great hunters but one runs out of gas much quicker than the other. Where do you buy the powerbars? Also, any other input from anybody using "in the field" supplements?
JMc

Kiotehntr,
I have a couple of shorthairs that are great hunters but one runs out of gas much quicker than the other. Where do you buy the powerbars? Also, any other input from anybody using "in the field" supplements?
JMc
Cabela's has them, I also carry Pedialyte and mix some of it with the water so it helps with rebuilding his electrolytes. Since I started using that combo he hunts great all day, regardless of the weather.

I forgot about that I make a cookie. I give Tony that has Malto-Dextrin in it. My vet tells me it helps in the field work. Keeps his energy up. It has Honey and Peanut-Butter in there also. Tony loves them and they do give him energy. I only give them to him when we are hunting. The secret, they tell me is feed 2-3 of them the night before going. He then gets 2-3 more and the End Of The Hunt to help him rebuild quicker.---Bob

My vet said I should start putting 1 tablespoon of canola oil over his dog food at the starting of hunting here is Wi. and increase it by 1 Tablespoon each week so that he is getting 4 tablespoons over his food when we come to SD the first week of November. He also said I could also pour some Gatoraid over his food when I am in SD.

From what I have always been told GATORAID is an absolute NO-NO for a dog. They get all sorts of liver and other such organ problems from it. Any body got anything concrete that says otherwise?---0Bob

Fish Oil here. And the performance bar in an ocaisinal trial. Be careful with these though and don,t get into the habit of useing them all the time just for hunting,the electrolite replacer is great for those hoter days, it helps recovery time and lessons heat related problems.

Cookie recipe

here it is as requested

TONY COOKIE RECIPE
1 cup Oatmeal
1 cup Peanut Butter
¾ cup Honey
¾ cup Dry Milk
1/3 cup Oil
¾ cup whole wheat flour
¾ cup reg. Flour
½ cup Malto-Dextin
2 Eggs
Water
Mix peanut butter, honey, oil, eggs, blend well
Add dry milk, oatmeal, 2 flours and Malto Dextrin; blend with wet mixture to a stiff but smooth dough. If not blending right add a little water. You want stiff dough. Drop dough on cookie sheet as to make a cookie the size of silver dollar. Press very flat with a sugared glass.
These will not raise much so the size you drop is close to size you get. Grease finger to drop cookies
Bake 350 until very brown and really hard. The harder the better.
NOTE: The Malto-Dextrin makes the dough very sticky do not handle it if possible. Make the sure the glass has lots of sugar the cookies will stick to it otherwise. Wash Glass as needed.

Last edited:
I would also be concerned about giving a dog GatorAid. Doesn't it contain a lot of sugar. If you are trying to repalce electrolytes there are products made for dogs to do that.

I've tried the Power Bars during hunting but really didn't see that they did anything. I sometimes take along some Purina Moist & Meaty in pouches to feed during the hunt when we take a break. Not sure if it helps or not. I think if the dog is being properly fed they should be able to hunt all day without additional supplements or dog. Just make sure they get plenty of water.

When I'm on the road hunting I find sometimes my dogs don't want to eat like they should. I've tried mixing some canned food with the dry or pouring some chicken broth over the food. Anyone else have this problem and what do you do?

Same problem when we travel and I use the same scenario but I take along some of my dry cat food and mix it with the dog food. They gobble it up.

I really question the need for electrolyte replacement for dogs. I mean think about it.... they don't sweat like humans and are not losing electrolytes through their skin (except a very small amount through their pads), therefore electrolyte loss should be a non issue with dogs.

Here is an good article on hydration/dehydration concerning canines and the use of electrolytes: http://www.purinaproclub.com/sporti...s - Hydration Strategies in Sporting Dogs.htm

Last edited:
I put out water for Tony in the morning before we go. Rarely touches it. Give him water in his crate on the trip down, rarely touches it. Get in the field hunting and he will drink a 30 ounce bottle of water in the first half hour. I normally have to go back to the SUV and get more water and then he will drink some. Any suggestions on how to get him to drink more before the hunt?---Bob

I put out water for Tony in the morning before we go. Rarely touches it. Give him water in his crate on the trip down, rarely touches it. Get in the field hunting and he will drink a 30 ounce bottle of water in the first half hour. I normally have to go back to the SUV and get more water and then he will drink some. Any suggestions on how to get him to drink more before the hunt?---Bob
You can lead a dog to water but you can't make him drink. I know that it's supposed to be a horse in this addage but it's the same point.

Tony is a water connoisseur. I bring fresh water over and he see it and licks his chops. Takes a taste but will not drink enough according to me. When he wants his water he drinks a lot at one time.---Bob

http://www.rehydratetabs.com/
bobeyrite-check this out, I have the same problem with my gracie, she would rather play in the water than drink it. I talked to this rep. at Pheasant Fest and tried a box out. Seems to work.....:beer:
You can diltue it if needed, read the section on hydration & science.

Thank you I will get some and see how it works on Tony.

Back