Strap vest?

gspbirddog

Its about time to replace my old Mad dog strap vest. I've been looking at Pella, Wings works, and Bucks bags. I've seen the pella in person but neither of the other 2. Anyone have any experience with the Bucks bag or Wings works?

This will be my first season with the Buck's Bag vest. Won't be able to tell you much until after the November trip. It's not really hunting here in Missouri. It's more like taking the dogs for a run.

I had the Pella and sent it back...the padded straps caused an issue when shouldering the gun. I just got a WW and it feels great. Haven't been in the field with it, but worked with it at the range and it was perfect.

I've heard of good things about the ww vest. Just alot of money but I think it would last many seasons. I wonder if the bucks bags vest and pella's new vest is made in the u.s.a. I know the ww vest is. That what I always look for anyways.

This will be my first season with the Buck's Bag vest. Won't be able to tell you much until after the November trip. It's not really hunting here in Missouri. It's more like taking the dogs for a run.
Sounds alot like here in Minnesota. How well is your bucks bag vest made over all?

I'll stick with my Pella. Used a Filson prior to that; great vest, lasts several lifetimes, just not enough storage. Now it's my training vest.

Sounds alot like here in Minnesota. How well is your bucks bag vest made over all?

I can't fine any faults with it. So Far. I haven't put any wear on it yet. So I don't know about durability. It is comfortable. Very adjustable and seems like it is flexible for wearing different clothes.

Contact Karl at Idaho Upland and he can give you some advice. Ipurchased mine through him and it went smooth. Tell him Chuck sent you.

I know you didnt ask about Mother vests but I have one, not sure which model, it fits absolutely fantastic, very comfortable and such - but I cant put a bird in the back of it too save my life. It sits too high on my back. If Im with someone else its not a big deal but there are times Ive had to take it off to put a bird in it. crazy.

I have the opposite problem that a lot of people have. I do not need that extra storage as I go between a lot of spots during a day and do not need all the extra pockets and padding. Just needs to hold a handful of shells and a couple birds.

I really like the Cabela's I got 3-4 years ago, but the bottom of the pockets are going out. I like the style and storage, but why can't they strengthen the pockets? Not a shell loop fan as I shoot three gauges, so like loose shells in secure pockets. Also "front loader" needed for all those birds I shoot! Holds all the ones I miss too.
Looked at Filson and as some one noted, minimal storage, no front load, but obviously would last forever. The newer Cabela's are different style. The Browning/Pella PH may be where I have to go.Have not seen the Western.
Like pick-up vs suburban---switch every time I buy a vehicle.

I was at Cabela's and Gander the other day and they didn't have much to offer. My old mad dog vest that I'm upgrading from was basic strap vest. I been wanting one that I could hold water and had some storage. I read alot of reviews and was leaning towards the Bucks, WW, Pella. I was checking out Bucks bags website they had theres down to $99 so I ordered one up. I'll post some pictures and let ya know how I like it. Hoping its here by the time I head to SD.

Last edited:
You didn't mention Filson, but I love my tin cloth strap vest.

Quilomene Sancarlos strap vest. Superb vest.

A distant second for me is the WW. Though tough as nails and comfortable, it is WAY more vest than I need. A 4 hour hunt without returning to the truck is a long one for me. Should I be lucky enough to someday hunt chuckers in Idaho, I will probably take the WW.

www.quilomene.com/page/995744

Back