Spring Birds

Labs

Looks like the birds made it through a by & large mild winter in great shape. Seeing lots of them along the roads...

Being seeing a few about us also. Also, seen some dead ones on the road due to vehicles.

Hope we get out of this cold snap. Monday was a weird day here, snowed and blowing at times couldn't see across the road. Then 10 minutes later the sun was out. Did this all day. Snow is gone now and supposed to warm up. Hope it stays warm for the nesting season (and not so wet like last year!)

Hey Labs, love your location handle!

Best,

Greg

seeing a lot of roosters in my area....did some food plot planting...need rain. Was disking an area near food plot to try to enhance/agitate ground to access seed bank. Had a pheasant hen slowly walk out in front of the tractor. I stopped and saw my disc was just 3 feet from turning her eggs under. 11 of them. I backed the disc out and got out of there. surprised me as the cover was so sparse I didn't think a hen would nest in it.

ND GFP spring crowing counts are up 15% statewide, with variances being 1-18%, all to the positive...I have heard good reports about this spring...

nd got some good rain yesterday...further west...other areas around the state have gotten some decent rain in the past week, according to "current climate summary maps"....minot and bismarck each got around 1.5"

Last edited:
Yes, good rains the last 4-5 days. Some areas over 6" but most in the 1.5-2.5" range. Pretty good severe line went through the Mott-Elgin-Flasher area tonight, hopefully not too much hail...

rained last night in western ND...same storm that dumped on E Montana...actually, ND as a whole got good rain over the past 2 days...most locations I looked at got between .50 and 1.00" over the past two days...

Last edited:
Broods are few and far between. I hate to say it but if they aren’t hatched out by now you better hope for an easy winter. I do believe that hunting will be tough this year in the beginning due to record sunflower acres. I have never seen this many in the western part of the state. If they don’t get cut early we could have a rebound next year. It takes a few years to rebuild and with a lot less habitat it makes it a lot tougher. I am expecting another year like last year. There will be a few good pockets but not many. I hope I am wrong but from what I am seeing it could be another tough year.

I’m located in Minot, we don’t have huge numbers but my guess is the hatch was good, phez chicks look big and healthy, huns hatched out big coveys, cover looks awesome, although it didn’t rain early there was a lot of standing water which hatched a lot of insects. This could be the best year in awhile, the winter was a breeze, lots of crops to hide and eat in. Id expect similar conditions in Nw corner, if your a water Fowler that hatch looks big as well.

I am excited to go east from Montana to chase birds on west no dak . Last falls rain set up leftover crops in harvested . Glad winter was reasonable!

Back