Specialty gear/equipment

LC Smith

I know this probably belongs under the Gear section, but I imagine it will get a larger audience here. What is one or two pieces of equipment that may not be a real necessity, but you are glad you have with you? It can be for you or your dog. Boots for the dog? RexSpecs? A special knife? That nifty widget on your vest? Garmin InReach? Med kit?

Cable cutter, just in case of a snare. Nitrile gloves and trash bags for cleaning birds. And when my vet isn't hunting with me I have a really nice first aid kit.

I can name one. A whistle. I don't like yelling and I trained my dog to "come" when I blow a whistle.
Good call... I carry two. Dog is whistle trained and for sure needed in the wind.

Cable cutter, just in case of a snare. Nitrile gloves and trash bags for cleaning birds. And when my vet isn't hunting with me I have a really nice first aid kit.
Great items. I carry them all and three different med/first aid kits.

Mulholland shell belt and nylon strap gun sling, doubles as leash if needed. The widget you speak of, is in my can of Guinness. Good ideas.

GPS tracking collars. Three years ago we were hunting in public land 3 hours from home. 3 of us running 4 Labradors. We were in waist high grass when we noticed one dog was missing. It had fallen into a cistern about 8 feet deep and not more than 3 feet wide. Grass covered it and honestly anyone of us could had fallen into it. The Garmin took us with 2 feet of it.

GPS tracking collars. Three years ago we were hunting in public land 3 hours from home. 3 of us running 4 Labradors. We were in waist high grass when we noticed one dog was missing. It had fallen into a cistern about 8 feet deep and not more than 3 feet wide. Grass covered it and honestly anyone of us could had fallen into it. The Garmin took us with 2 feet of it.
And that my friend is why my boy runs a Garmin 550+!

Not necessarily pheasant hunting specific, but I picked up an Orvis hybrid dove and clay belt last Spring. It works great for shooting clays and dove hunting, and it will also hold bumpers, a check cord, and water for dog training. I use it way more often than I figured I would. If I lost it, I would definitely be ordering another one right away.

Not necessarily pheasant hunting specific, but I picked up an Orvis hybrid dove and clay belt last Spring. It works great for shooting clays and dove hunting, and it will also hold bumpers, a check cord, and water for dog training. I use it way more often than I figured I would. If I lost it, I would definitely be ordering another one right away.
I was just looking at the ALPs belt , looking for one. I’ll have to take a look at the orvis one too

I'm in agreeance with the Garmin. Took me a while to cough up the money for one but now I can' t imagine hunting without one. So nice knowing where your dog is at all times plus quite a few times over the years it's been in my pocket, started to vibrate, looked and seen where the dog was (tall grass) and I walked over and shot a bird.

That is a slick idea. Thanks for sharing.

I'm in agreeance with the Garmin. Took me a while to cough up the money for one but now I can' t imagine hunting without one. So nice knowing where your dog is at all times plus quite a few times over the years it's been in my pocket, started to vibrate, looked and seen where the dog was (tall grass) and I walked over and shot a bird.
I also run the Instinct watch and it is a pretty slick pairing.

I was just looking at the ALPs belt , looking for one. I’ll have to take a look at the orvis one too
I like the looks of that ALPs belt, too. One of the things I love about the Orvis belt is the shell pockets. They are easy to open and close, and they stay open or closed. I can throw it in the back of the pickup with pockets full of shells, and they stay there.

Leatherman and med kit (with styptic powder and EMT gel) for doggos. Use both every hunt! The styptic powder will stop a bleed and the EMT gel is an antibiotic superglue. The leatherman is ... well ... it's a leatherman.

Back