Specialty gear/equipment

Leatherman and med kit (with styptic powder and EMT gel) for doggos. Use both every hunt! The styptic powder will stop a bleed and the EMT gel is an antibiotic superglue. The leatherman is ... well ... it's a leatherman.
I have both as well as 3M Vet Bond.

My deer antler Indian pipe. My lucky Morgan silver dollar.My army compass.
I keep my old M2 in the truck. Not very often to I find the need to Call For Fire using MILS, but I still got it!

A bell and snap swivel for hunting tall and thick CRP. A locate button on the Sport Dog is nice if the bell gets hard to hear.

A long gun holster. Found it on eBay. It attaches to one's belt and about four inches of the butt of the gun goes into it. As I get older, the gun seems to get heavier haha.

Last edited:
Pretty easy to teach come whistling using lips:

Since I hunt solo 99% of the time in some pretty remote places, InReach always in my pack.
Hate to ask but found the In Reach units online, but can I ask what subscription fee is??? Guessing I'd use it September - January.

I hunt by myself most of the time and carry an ACR PLB. Has a single button and no sub fee. I can't text etc., but not something I am going to do bird hunting anyway.

Hate to ask but found the In Reach units online, but can I ask what subscription fee is??? Guessing I'd use it September - January.
Subscription is $12.95 per month.

I like InReach in that I can
1) Privately broadcast my map location to my family every 4 hours while out in the Alaskan wilderness.
2) Never used the SOS button for Emergency Rescue but nice to have that feature.
3) Send and receive text messages in areas that have no cell coverage.

Subscription is $12.95 per month.

I like InReach in that I can
1) Privately broadcast my map location to my family every 4 hours while out in the Alaskan wilderness.
2) Never used the SOS button for Emergency Rescue but nice to have that feature.
3) Send and receive text messages in areas that have no cell coverage.
All of the above. Another feature of InReach is the ability of your contacts to find your current location. Important to me since something may happen and you can’t hit the SOS button. Set up a check in plan and if you go silent they can locate you and do what’s necessary.

I use the Safety Plan most of the year and switch to the Recreation Plan in the fall when I’m away from home a lot. Don't leave home without it!
Tom

Back