Southern Border Quail Hunting Question

gsppurist

With the ongoing news coverage regarding illegal border crossing, what is the Southern hunter's perspective on this. Has anyone personally had an issue there? Stories of second/third hand accounts of farmer shot at someone or was shot at, which I take with some skepticisim. I am told this by FOX/CNN enthusiasts. Not by outdoorsman.

While hunting south of Tucson, AZ in College 94-97, I would run across trash under bushes which was obviously a staging/rest point. I hunted exclusively with only my GSP and never had an issue with any border crossers.

Times have changed apparently Or have they? Is it that the news is covering more closely?

What are your experiences?

I was in Southern Arizona two years ago, Got stopped by border patrol agents twice. Didn't have any stow -aways but my dogs, Lots of plastic bottles, dug outs, and basic camping supplies. My opinion, is the "refugees" need help! They are not violent, they do die routinely from the terrain and heat. Now the coyotes who smuggle drugs, look out! But usually they are well organized, don't do anything in daylight, and avoid confrontation unless confronted, like a big rattlesnake, but I would not want to be out at night in the dessert anyway! You'll see coyotes in town, either side of the border, in cantina's. As you know water is the quail's breaking point, winter and spring, not so much the actual pooling of rain water but the green sprouts, bugs, and dew for moisture. Looks like a late hatch, but at least there is one!

WEll I dont go down there any more. Its very bad down there. The border is far from secure and the drug clowns and coyotes are running the place. The border patrol is 45 miles in from the border and they have the run of the place. you are taking your life in your own hands if you want to hunt on the border.

i doubt you would have any issues... the guys crossing the border with dope or people want to avoid you at all coast... unless you were down there in a high buck luxury vehicle flashing $$$ aroundle i dont see anybody wanting to mess with you... any illeagal will stay away ftom a gringo on the usa side its in there best intrest u mite be border patrol... they are not roaming the area with armys just a bunch of scared women and kids and familys trying to avoid americans in the desert...

if u were going down by juraz mx & el paso tx border then id say watch ur bunz thats cartel country kid napville on the mexico side of things and daily if not weekly shoot outs there as well...

i doubt you would have any issues... the guys crossing the border with dope or people want to avoid you at all coast... unless you were down there in a high buck luxury vehicle flashing $$$ aroundle i dont see anybody wanting to mess with you... any illeagal will stay away ftom a gringo on the usa side its in there best intrest u mite be border patrol... they are not roaming the area with armys just a bunch of scared women and kids and familys trying to avoid americans in the desert...

if u were going down by juraz mx & el paso tx border then id say watch ur bunz thats cartel country kid napville on the mexico side of things and daily if not weekly shoot outs there as well...

Come on down and see for yourself. It will open your eyes. They are not scared of anything. A friend of mone while doing a coyote stand found several of them in the back of his truck wanting a ride to town. He had to raise his shot guy to get them out of his truck. Its very common down here for this to happen they are brazen.

Come on down and see for yourself. It will open your eyes. They are not scared of anything. A friend of mone while doing a coyote stand found several of them in the back of his truck wanting a ride to town. He had to raise his shot guy to get them out of his truck. Its very common down here for this to happen they are brazen.

very true. I've got a house 8 miles from the texas/mex border right in Brownsville and was there last week for 5 days. nobody is afraid of a white guy down there, and anybody who thinks the violence and kidnappings stay on the Mexican side have their heads waaaaay to far up...well you know where. sad state of affairs happening. there is such an easy solution to this problem. close the front door and no more handouts

tx mexico border was mentioned and nothing was said about it being safe...

so everybody down on the border is scared and running from the mexicans down on the border in tx??? i seen big bad cowboys rolling around with ar 15s if they are thinking twice about them boys then they are brazon...

if it was that bad we would be finding alot of shot up illeagals on the border i would assume i mean you dont mess with texas... i have family down in tx but 45-60 min north but travels to mexico from brownsville i will see what there friends are saying things could of gotten worse since i was there last....

i really makes no sence for mexicans to be scared of white men illeagal imagrints they should be afraid and not seen in daylight hours if they new what was good for them... mexicans have been in texas since it was called texas & b4... like it or not they are a part of texas... illeagals should not be i agree 100%

tx mexico border was mentioned and nothing was said about it being safe...

so everybody down on the border is scared and running from the mexicans down on the border in tx??? i seen big bad cowboys rolling around with ar 15s if they are thinking twice about them boys then they are brazon...

if it was that bad we would be finding alot of shot up illeagals on the border i would assume i mean you dont mess with texas... i have family down in tx but 45-60 min north but travels to mexico from brownsville i will see what there friends are saying things could of gotten worse since i was there last....

i really makes no sence for mexicans to be scared of white men illeagal imagrints they should be afraid and not seen in daylight hours if they new what was good for them... mexicans have been in texas since it was called texas & b4... like it or not they are a part of texas... illeagals should not be i agree 100%

yup...the ranches have the ar's because they are scared, not because they feel safe on their own land. not trying to start an argument or open some closed eyes and minds...but the southern border near Brownsville/McAllen is not the safest place anymore. the local news doesn't get much farther than the RGV and yes....40-60 minutes north there is a huge change in the situation....probably has to do with the fact that the border patrol has the major checkpoints 45 yes that's right 45 miles north of the border. that is where the USA starts, the crime goes down a bit, the wages go up, you can dial in a radio station that isn't playing cumbias, and they don't have to shut down the university because bullets are flying across the river like they do between matamorros and Brownsville.....but what do I know about the situation down there??

Last edited:
e again i didnt say the tx mexico border was the safest place... maybe the ranchers we talked to we being macho? it was texas but non packing ar 15 were scared they had rifles in there trucks for years they just have them ars just in case they said they were not changing there daily life...

that border check 45 min north is to catch dope load not to pick up illeagals or undocumenteds once detained ... there are ice agents but they mostly want the dope there at that check point...

we all agree its not getting any better but these gun fights are over $$$ and will happen on both side of border because theres a problum on both sides... i dont see me makibg the trip from mn to the border anytime soon... odessa/el paso tx areas was close enough for me...

Last edited:
e again i didnt say the tx mexico border was the safest place... maybe the ranchers we talked to we being macho? it was texas but non packing ar 15 were scared they had rifles in there trucks for years they just have them ars just in case they said they were not changing there daily life...

that border check 45 min north is to catch dope load not to pick up illeagals or undocumenteds once detained ... there are ice agents but they mostly want the dope there at that check point...

we all agree its not getting any better but these gun fights are over $$$ and will happen on both side of border because theres a problum on both sides... i dont see me makibg the trip from mn to the border anytime soon... odessa/el paso tx areas was close enough for me...
Watch "The Bridge" on FX. It's true that the border regions of all countries draw trouble, it used to be you had to be in Mexico to have serious danger, we used to have a buffer zone, not any more! The violence transcends the border in either direction. Used to be a cross-Mexico car trip was almost to risky, I might prefer that to a border town!

I'm up here not to far from Canada. Glad Canadians are cool. :)
Nice folks for sure. :cheers: We're lucky to have them on such a long border. But then The Canadians are lucky to have Americans for such a long border. :cheers:

I have to admit, I was not expecting this much conversation. Keep it up, it is interesting to get all these view points. :cool:

I am still going to hunt Southern AZ but just more worried about securing my stuff while hunting.

How does one tell the harmless illegal alien trying to cross peacefully versus the drug smuggler when in the desert? Do they color code Tshirts or something?

I'd still hunt it, would refuse to flee it, and keep a pistol on my hip while doing so.

How does one tell the harmless illegal alien trying to cross peacefully versus the drug smuggler when in the desert? Do they color code Tshirts or something?

I'd still hunt it, would refuse to flee it, and keep a pistol on my hip while doing so.

I doubt the pistol on your hip will create a even playing field with Mac-10, AK-47's. Common sense with usually suffice.:cheers:

No way would I hunt the border, don't have any good reason to go down that way. When guys fish Falcon lake they are advised where to and not to go. There has been numerous run-ins with these dirt bags down there.

Sad that we can't enjoy every part of OUR country!! Makes me sick that we can't control our own border but yet we want to control what type of government another country has.

ewell 1 thing dope smuglers wont stop and ask for a ride like mentioned above??? people crossing the border people or dope wise try at all coast to avoid people especially white people it make no sence to just strut across the border with automatic weapons and or people dope etc.

the gun fights in citys are not coyotes fighting there way across the border either are the dirt poor throw away smuglers with 40-80 pound bails on there back... the gun fights in towns are over $$$ and who gets to move what dope through what route... same on our side people robbing each other for $$$ or dope... there is not armys of militints roaming the desert looking to mess with whomever they can in the citys yes they roam around by the truckload... they are called federallis lol

i seen signs and was warned by border patrol to watch out and report all suspicious activitys asap while i was on the mt/canada border smuglers was the threat take the warning for what its worth gspurist but you ave the write attitude id be much more scary up in grizzly wolf country hunting then down on the border... yes u could run into a ak packing idiot thatjust wants to shoot/rob u but really what good does that do for the illeagals or smuglers they want to fly under the radar at all coasts...

them tv shows will scare people as they should but the texans i chatted with all pretty much say the border trouble is not changing there lifestyle??? they live there...

think nobody makes $$$ if there shooting and killing americans out hunting...
just use common sence guys they will kill the thread if people keep bringing up polotics

i agree gsp ur gear in vehicle would be biggest target im always worried when hunting close to towns and sorry to say any rez broken windows and ransacted cars are not uncommon

You don't enforce the laws you get crime and murders, be it on the border or areas in a big city like Chicago.

The drugs are the driving force.

I hate to split hairs like this but just for general knowledge there are no ICE agents that work at any of the Border Patrol check points. ICE and Border Patrol both fall under Dept of Homeland Security but they are not the same agency. Also the main mission of the Border Patrol is immigration enforcement. DEA is the main agency for drug enforcement. That's not to say that a Border Patrol Agent wont arrest someone carrying drugs but its not their main mission. Just like a county sheriff or highway patrolman. Not their main mission but they will arrest you for it.

Unfortunately theft occurs all the time. Take care to lock up your stuff whether you are on the border in AZ or in the middle of KS. A lot of people out there would rather take equipment out of the back of your truck than work/pay for it themselves.

any illeagal will stay away ftom a gringo on the usa side its in there best intrest u mite be border patrol... they are not roaming the area with armys just a bunch of scared women and kids and familys trying to avoid americans in the desert...

Back