South West Nebraska

winchester21

I used to hunt the Imperial area when I was younger because Colorado's bird numbers were so poor but it's been about 12 years since I last visited. I've got this new GWP pup and I can hardly wait for Colorado's opener so I'm planning on heading out for Nebraska's. I'm pretty accustomed to knocking on doors and have usually had good luck (opening weekend can be different though) but I'm curious what sort of walk-in/public deal Nebraska is offering. Any info is much appreciated.
Thanks

Hey Win, don't know much yet at all about what is available in NE WIA (but already purchased a license & my map-book is on it's way in the mail)...I've made a couple friends just across the border from CO & can hardly wait the extra couple weeks for the CO opener either. We never really got a chance to hook up last yr, bur since we do happen to live so close to each other anyway - PM me if you might want some company on a little combo early-hunting & scouting-recon!

Nebraska walk in

The Nebraska program is CRP access acres. and can be found on the nebraska game and parks site. Nebraska'a map also shows NRD corners, WPA, also Open lands, which is a purely Nebraska program to open access to private lands for hunting and or fishing. sorry to say that the southwest extreme has very limited acres enrolled. I am talking Hayes, Hitchcock, Furnas, Red Willow, counties. Seems like a little better in Chase, and southern panhandle counties. You can print maps right off the site. Supposed to be better than last year. I have had good luck there, IMO better than Kansas, cover and birds more concentrated, and to the experienced eye obvious. Like the seemly thin slightly taller weed patches along a seep from a livestock pond,in a canyon surrounded by crop fields in the flat table land about 300 yards up from the bottom on either side. Throw in the obligatory plum brush thickets in the hillside shoulders, I'm sure you'll know what to do! Good Luck.

Thanks a million for the info guys. Old and New, nice description! Got me all giddy! HHR- sending PM.
I remember doing very well in NE back in my prime. As far as bird numbers go, I'm used to Colorado so Nebraska can't be any worse ;)

One other question: I noticed in the NE regs that you can only purchase 1 two-day permit per year and it's not available until Nov. 1 2010 thereby making the opener only open to folks who buy a full season. Is this true?

Not looking to discourage you, but I wouldn't recommend going on opening weekend, with walk in as your only option to hunt.

Went two years ago around the Grant area, and it was a circus.

The first 45 minutes was great...3 of us shot 5 birds...but, for the remaining 1.95 days of opening weekend, we were hunting ground that had already been hunted multiple times. It was futile. We hunted all day both days and saw and bagged only 1 more bird

It was clear that every bird single bird was completely driven out and comfortably resting on all the adjacent private land.

I'd recommend waiting a week or two, or going midweek if you can.

I agree on the opening day circus act. I may not go considering the 2 day non-resident permit isn't valid on opening weekend. I don't see myself going to NE during the regular season anyhow, no sense in driving past birds in my own backyard.

I have hunted that area for the past 15 years solid and to all newbies that don't have access to private land-good luck. NE is not real keen on CO folks from my experiences with a few exceptions and I mean few. Too many people don't ask permission and have ruined it for the ones who do. Opening weekend is a zoo along with Thanksgiving weekend. I have found it tougher there myself even after having hunted there for so many years on private land.

Definitely do not ask to hunt when Big Red is playing!!!!!!!!!

Back