South West ND

mnmthunting

Banned
On the way home I went through Bowman, Regent and Mott then cross country on side roads to Mandan. Late afternoon until dark. I saw broods here and there all along the way, usually near good cover. I take this trip just about every year. I would say compared to last year and the year before, pheasants are down at least 50%. Most disturbing is the huge loss of CRP, all turned to wheat, corn and sunflowers.:(

it will only continue to get worse, with more CRP coming out next year.
ND seems to be suffering the most, but losses are in all states. there is no state program i am aware of (unlike SD) which is trying to establish or hold the CRP acreage. the bird pop. will continue to shrink.

On the way home I went through Bowman, Regent and Mott then cross country on side roads to Mandan. Late afternoon until dark. I saw broods here and there all along the way, usually near good cover. I take this trip just about every year. I would say compared to last year and the year before, pheasants are down at least 50%. Most disturbing is the huge loss of CRP, all turned to wheat, corn and sunflowers.:(
There's been a number of people stating that you get better nesting in green wheat than 3 year old crp. Wonder if there's a studdy suporting this?

Winter wheat. DU is coordinating some research on winter wheat as nesting cover. ND requires some pretty hardy strains.

Yeah, this is mostly, maybe entirely Spring Wheat.

And I can tell you 100% for sure, in that country and NE MT 3 year old, 10 year old whatever CRP produced and held tons of pheasants.

Last edited:
Yeah, this is mostly, maybe entirely Spring Wheat.

And I can tell you 100% for sure, in that country and NE MT 3 year old, 10 year old whatever CRP produced and held tons of pheasants.
You would think that ND would look into managing its road right of way's for nesting cover to try to make up for lose of crp.

You would think that ND would look into managing its road right of way's for nesting cover to try to make up for lose of crp.

Almost all roadways had been baled. It was interesting studying habitat along the way. Many landowners can't stand to see uncut anything. Here and there you would see property with pheasants and pheasant hunting in mind. Standing grass, patches of corn etc, between sloughs. That the kind of stuff you will usually see the birds. All posted of course.

You wonder if some of that hay is making it's way down to Kansas, Oklahoma and Texas at a premium price.

I think them boys in TX pay premium prices for hay every year. I remember gramps sending bales to TX for $6/ea (10+years ago). The guy buying it thought he was getting a great deal, grampa felt like he was cheating him and didn't like it.

I think them boys in TX pay premium prices for hay every year.
We'll they certainly are this year because of the severe drought down there. Most of the high costs come from shipping it down there. But when you have livestock to feed you do what you have to do.

We'll they certainly are this year because of the severe drought down there. Most of the high costs come from shipping it down there. But when you have livestock to feed you do what you have to do.

I've even heard the grind cactus down there and blend it w/ the hay. Is that true ya think?

There's so much hay in Montana that 3-4 year old hay laying around rotting.
To bad it's not where it's needed.

In Oklahoma a few months ago round bales were $80-$100. I know some farmers that have payed as high as $120 a bale. I is costing $4-$5 per mile to truck the hay in TX & OK..

If you don't have a freezer filled with meat by now, you need too. Farmers down here are selling most of their older cows off right now.

The Longterm effect will be the price you pay per pound in 12-18 months at a store.

In some products we are seeing the effects now. But the prediction of record high prices, especially for beef are on target. Worldwide population of cattle at the lowest level since 1946. Chicken and pork regenerate faster and will provide some relief in supply, if not in price. But the good old days for the consumer are over for now.

I've even heard the grind cactus down there and blend it w/ the hay. Is that true ya think?

Usual practice is to burn the spines off the cactus, at which point cattle will graze it. Yes I realize I am saying that they deliberately set fires in drought, with everything a tinderbox, not saying it's a great idea but that's what is done. I'm sure somebody does grinds prickly pear as you suggest, sounds a heck of a lot safer.

Even though we have plenty of hay here in N MN, the cost of production is eating up any profit. Fuel, fertilizer seed etc :eek:
Can't imagine anyone staying in business paying 100-200 dollars per ton for hay. They simply can't.
Young people are not replacing retiring cattle producers. Much more profitable to put the land in Wheat, corn and beans.
Chicken, turkey, hogs all take corn, soy to produce.

Here in Idaho it is very rare for me to see ANYTHING not cut and harvested. Road to road. I wish the farmers would leave something. Heck, they even take the corners of their pivot irragated fields.

Yep, i was told by a guy that leases some ground i hunt along that he would kill every pheasant on his land if it made him 10.00. Thats pretty much the attitude of land owners here, either that or 100.00 a day per gun to hunt the 2 or 3 birds on thier land.

Back